Montgomery Released - 2014 Line UP

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Montgomery Released - 2014 Line UP

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:45 am

The Hogster wrote:I don't think Polumbus is a possibility at guard. He's 6 foot 8, and plays high for his height. He's a lumbering guy, and not really a low center of gravity, powerful player who would more easily make the switch--especially at this stage of his career. If we had to move him to RG, that would be desperation with other natural guards on the roster.

Makes sense.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:56 am

Not really sure how upgrading the line is accomplished with releasing one of the best centers in the conference... but okay. The rumor was that Monty wasn't able to handle the mental aspects of the center spot. He wasn't great at calling adjustments and reacting to the defense. That being said, he's a grading run blocker. I suppose it was either him or Chester so maybe they made the right choice. I hope he gets a shot someplace else.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:13 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Not really sure how upgrading the line is accomplished with releasing one of the best centers in the conference... but okay. The rumor was that Monty wasn't able to handle the mental aspects of the center spot. He wasn't great at calling adjustments and reacting to the defense. That being said, he's a grading run blocker. I suppose it was either him or Chester so maybe they made the right choice. I hope he gets a shot someplace else.

One of the best centers in the conference? If that is true, its certainly the first time I've heard it. By all accounts, the team was trying to move on from him LAST year.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Apparently the Redskins are interested in cap casualty Donald Penn. Penn has been a career Left Tackle for the Bucs and made the Pro Bowl a few seasons ago at that position, but the Skins are trying to lure him here to anchor the Right Side. More importantly, he's 6'5 340lbs. Definitely much bigger than anything we've got.

if we sign him that would bring our line to an average of 317 lbs. A big increase in both weight and philosophy is on the horizon. But, don't be fooled. The two biggest men on this line (assuming we land Penn) would also be two of the most athletic. Trent Williams clocked a 4.9 40 at 330lbs. And, Penn ran a 5 flat at 340. Definitely not big, fat & clumsy. I'm hopeful we bring him in. Would make me more comfortable at least.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Awesome that he can play LT also, good insurance for Trent. Allen and Morris know him well.

The trick on that deal is if he will take a deal for RT money or not. The Raiders are hard up for a left tackle.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:27 pm

The Hogster wrote:Apparently the Redskins are interested in cap casualty Donald Penn. Penn has been a career Left Tackle for the Bucs and made the Pro Bowl a few seasons ago at that position, but the Skins are trying to lure him here to anchor the Right Side. More importantly, he's 6'5 340lbs. Definitely much bigger than anything we've got.

if we sign him that would bring our line to an average of 317 lbs. A big increase in both weight and philosophy is on the horizon. But, don't be fooled. The two biggest men on this line (assuming we land Penn) would also be two of the most athletic. Trent Williams clocked a 4.9 40 at 330lbs. And, Penn ran a 5 flat at 340. Definitely not big, fat & clumsy. I'm hopeful we bring him in. Would make me more comfortable at least.

I saw that. I hoping for bigger myself. Tackles do need to be a bit quick though for those rushing speedsters.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:30 pm

Ross Jones @RossJonesFOX

Former Bucs OT Donald Penn is still in Washington, per source. Weather delays have affected schedule. Word is they are going after him hard.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 pm

The Hogster wrote:Apparently the Redskins are interested in cap casualty Donald Penn. Penn has been a career Left Tackle for the Bucs and made the Pro Bowl a few seasons ago at that position, but the Skins are trying to lure him here to anchor the Right Side. More importantly, he's 6'5 340lbs. Definitely much bigger than anything we've got.

Sounds really promising.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Random Fact. I live in Ashburn, and am a member of the Gold's Gym here. It's not uncommon to see Redskins players working out there. RGIII and his wife workout together there mid day very often. (No knee brace) I've seen Derrick Dockery in there, and some others. Well, I'm in there today working legs. Doing the leg press. When I'm done with the machine, I get up to clean the rack, and guess who walks up and says "You can leave those on there."

Drumrolll..............Will Montgomery.

I guess he's locked out of the team facility now. Was kinda sad that he's lifting in Gold's Gym now. Then again, no it's not. This is probably the nicest gym I've ever been a member of.

BTW - I was Pressing 630 on the leg press, and he came up added plates and one legged it. LOL That's what happens when you get paid to be strong I guess.

Anyway. Carry on.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 pm

Donald Penn signed with the Raiders today. :(

Polumbus et al are like :celebrate:
SPIT HAPPENS!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm

The Hogster wrote:Random Fact. I live in Ashburn, and am a member of the Gold's Gym here. It's not uncommon to see Redskins players working out there. RGIII and his wife workout together there mid day very often. (No knee brace) I've seen Derrick Dockery in there, and some others. Well, I'm in there today working legs. Doing the leg press. When I'm done with the machine, I get up to clean the rack, and guess who walks up and says "You can leave those on there."

I guess he's locked out of the team facility now. Was kinda sad that he's lifting in Gold's Gym now. Then again, no it's not. This is probably the nicest gym I've ever been a member of.

It is kind of sad. In the NFL, a team might love you one day and then tell you never to come back to the facility the next. Abrupt changes. There is pretty much zero loyalty unless you are a total superstar, and even then . . .
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
The Hogster wrote:Random Fact. I live in Ashburn, and am a member of the Gold's Gym here. It's not uncommon to see Redskins players working out there. RGIII and his wife workout together there mid day very often. (No knee brace) I've seen Derrick Dockery in there, and some others. Well, I'm in there today working legs. Doing the leg press. When I'm done with the machine, I get up to clean the rack, and guess who walks up and says "You can leave those on there."

It is kind of sad. In the NFL, a team might love you one day and then tell you never to come back to the facility the next. Abrupt changes. There is pretty much zero loyalty unless you are a total superstar, and even then . . .

+1
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:59 am

The Hogster wrote:Donald Penn signed with the Raiders today. :(

Polumbus et al are like :celebrate:

Maybe a little disappointing but not that surprising.

Penn is about to turn 31, has had some weight issues and reportedly didn't really live up to his last contract. He may have been an upgrade over Polumbus. But this is definitely a situation though where I'm glad to see the team not overpaying a free agent.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Hmmmm. Saints C Brian De la Puente is visiting.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 21m

Brian De la Puente is visiting the Redskins according to a league source

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 pm

De La Puente btw is 28 years old. 6'3" 306 lbs. Same age as Kory, but nearly 25 lbs heavier.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football