Merriweather is Back

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Re: Merriweather is Back

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:53 pm

emoses14 wrote:Byproduct of a 3-13 team, where people put the actual and perceived blame and the feelings that it was more the defense's fault. That's a guess. With such a systemic breakdown all over the team I'm not sure how folks are able to pinpoint the problem on Riley.

Yeah, our defense wasn't as bad as people thought last year. The problem was that we got off to a historically bad start, from which we recovered to mediocrity. Not saying we were good, but "absolutely awful" and the like doesn't really cover it.

I actually thought Riley was better than Fletcher last year, in terms of on-field play. Fletcher of course brought other qualities to the table and thus still leaves a big hole to fill. But in his final year he wasn't a top-15 LB, so in terms of on-field play it won't be too hard to find a replacement sometime in the next couple of years.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:07 pm

I agree FFA - finding someone to play better than Fletcher did last season is not going to be hard ...
finding a player with Fletcher's leadership skills and his instincts for what the opposing team was doing will not be easy to do
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Byproduct of a 3-13 team, where people put the actual and perceived blame and the feelings that it was more the defense's fault. That's a guess. With such a systemic breakdown all over the team I'm not sure how folks are able to pinpoint the problem on Riley.

Yeah, our defense wasn't as bad as people thought last year. The problem was that we got off to a historically bad start, from which we recovered to mediocrity. Not saying we were good, but "absolutely awful" and the like doesn't really cover it.

I actually thought Riley was better than Fletcher last year, in terms of on-field play. Fletcher of course brought other qualities to the table and thus still leaves a big hole to fill. But in his final year he wasn't a top-15 LB, so in terms of on-field play it won't be too hard to find a replacement sometime in the next couple of years.

I definitely agree with you on Riley. I've mentioned before, but I think his play has improved every year. His resigning (after Orakpo's tagging-that-hopefully-turns-into-a-long-term-deal-before-July-15) has been my favorite free agency move. Replacing 2 middle linebackers is not a wise move when you're trying to make strides on defense. ESPECIALLY, since Haslett is considering turning orakpo and kerrigan loose, more than before.
Last year I was far more worried about Fletcher's ability to "get it done" than Riley's. Riley, Amerson, Griffin, Rambo's development (in that order) are what I am most looking forward to next year and the following year. I really think each of them is going to, by year's end (and moreso into the following year for Rambo), be showing night and day type improvement. I would add P. Thomas, but hard to gauge development of a guy who didn't play last year.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

emoses14 wrote: I would add P. Thomas, but hard to gauge development of a guy who didn't play last year.

Nah you're 100% right about that one. I'm eager to see him back on the field, hopefully for off season workouts. And improvement/development for him will just be showing that he's recovered from surgery and ready to compete. That would be huge.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:40 pm

People have to look at the alternatives. Jarius Byrd got $50M. We have too many needs to have spent that kind of money on one. Mitchell chose the Steelers over the Skins. Nothing you can do there. People forget the term "FREE" in free agent. They sure as heck aren't Free, but they are FREE to turn us down and go somewhere else if they want.

Based on the market, Ryan Clark makes the most sense. We need a short term fix that can be an upgrade over what we currently have and possibly mentor the youth at the position (see Phillip Thomas & Bacarri Rambo).

It's not like we can sign Earl Thomas for $1M a year. So we have to deal with the reality of the situation. Ryan Clark is more than adequate. If he isn't signed. Well maybe they are looking to the draft.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:00 pm

In other news... "While bending over the table to sign his new contract, Brandon Merriweather dislocates shoulder, breaks pinky, and gives himself a minor concussion. Still though, he was able to scribble his signature somewhere in between his accident."

-JoeNews.com-
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 am

The Hogster wrote:People have to look at the alternatives. Jarius Byrd got $50M. We have too many needs to have spent that kind of money on one. Mitchell chose the Steelers over the Skins. Nothing you can do there. People forget the term "FREE" in free agent. They sure as heck aren't Free, but they are FREE to turn us down and go somewhere else if they want.

Based on the market, Ryan Clark makes the most sense. We need a short term fix that can be an upgrade over what we currently have and possibly mentor the youth at the position (see Phillip Thomas & Bacarri Rambo).

It's not like we can sign Earl Thomas for $1M a year. So we have to deal with the reality of the situation. Ryan Clark is more than adequate. If he isn't signed. Well maybe they are looking to the draft.

I like all of your points. To add to them, I think Ryan Clark adds a lot of that leadership that we will be missing from Fletcher. The more and more I think about Clark coming back the more sense it makes.

Now they should take the first FS in the draft that is rated on their board as being worthy of a pick in that round. Personally I'm hoping that Calvin Pryor is available when they are on the clock in the second or maybe Terrence Brooks in the third. I know it is too much to ask for that Clinton-Dix slips to us in the second.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:56 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I like all of your points. To add to them, I think Ryan Clark adds a lot of that leadership that we will be missing from Fletcher. The more and more I think about Clark coming back the more sense it makes.

Now they should take the first FS in the draft that is rated on their board as being worthy of a pick in that round. Personally I'm hoping that Calvin Pryor is available when they are on the clock in the second or maybe Terrence Brooks in the third. I know it is too much to ask for that Clinton-Dix slips to us in the second.

Good points about Clark. I wasn't that excited about him, but I think he makes some sense in the short term.

Jimmie Ward, SS from Northern Illinois seems to be a popular option for the Skins in a lot of mock drafts right now. Its supposedly not a deep draft at safety, so you're probably right about Clinton-Dix and maybe even Pryor not being there in the 2d.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:50 am

riggofan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:I like all of your points. To add to them, I think Ryan Clark adds a lot of that leadership that we will be missing from Fletcher. The more and more I think about Clark coming back the more sense it makes.

Good points about Clark. I wasn't that excited about him, but I think he makes some sense in the short term.

Jimmie Ward, SS from Northern Illinois seems to be a popular option for the Skins in a lot of mock drafts right now. Its supposedly not a deep draft at safety, so you're probably right about Clinton-Dix and maybe even Pryor not being there in the 2d.

I'm not against taking a SS, but we have more pressing needs. We have guys that can play at SS, but we have no one that could start on any other team at FS or be a back up at FS for most teams.

Some might say the same thing about RT, OG, ILB (the spot next to Riley) or at SS. I would disagree with all of them, but they are still areas of needs improvement, not areas of need due to the fact that we have NO NFL CALIBER FS on or roster.

Adding Clark would now put FS to the top of that first group. Needs improvement, not needs a capable starter.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:22 am

adding Clark would be a plus but to intimate that we don't have a bunch of real issues to address is not correct at all

these guys will win more than 3 games this season easily - that's only part of the battle here

to have a consistently competitive product on the field will take time - these guys are acting with patience and not trying to just add anyone they can, like we used to

there is a plan to make this franchise better but we need a lot of new young players - in our secondary, on the O line and on the front 7 defensively

AND

adding those players is only the first step - then we need to give them time to develop and get used to playing together as a team

P A T I E N C E - it's part of being a Redskins fan
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football