Redskins name

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Redskins name

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:25 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:anyone that thinks ANY of the politicians in DC have any credibility at all is just not in touch with reality ...


I literally have no idea what you are talking about. And Nancy Pelosi is not the current leader of the House. There goes your credibility.


Nancy is Harry's butt buddy - she is the EX leader of the House ... thank the Lord

maybe caps will help you - HARRY REID IS THE SENATE MAJORITY LEADER - HE'S PROVING TO BE ONE OF THE MOST INEFFECTUAL SENATE LEADERS EVER - LIKE MOST DC POLITICIANS, HE HAS ZERO CREDIBILITY AND HAS LITTLE TO NO IDEA ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING AROUND HIM
HOPEFULLY/THANKFULLY - HE WILL NOT BE IN OFFICE VERY MUCH LONGER

The franchise will still be named the Redskins for many years after his tenure is done
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4768
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins name

Postby riggofan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Wow what an excellent point you've made. :roll:

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1906
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:42 pm

Re: Redskins name

Postby fredp45 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 am

The consensus is:

1) We're not suppose to talk about Harry and Nancy on this part of the board;
2) No one really cares what Harry has to say about the Redskins name; and
3) Both Harry and Nancy are worthless!!!

I felt a final summary was in order.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4768
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins name

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:43 am

fredp45 wrote:The consensus is:

1) We're not suppose to talk about Harry and Nancy on this part of the board;
2) No one really cares what Harry has to say about the Redskins name; and
3) Both Harry and Nancy are worthless!!!

I felt a final summary was in order.


Great, maybe we can delete this worthless thread now.

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Redskins name

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:50 pm

:D moving on ...
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Redskins name

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:46 am

and this just in from Ditka ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -appalling

I know the stupid liberals are not going to go away - then again neither are those that feel it should not be changed

=D> thanks Mike
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4768
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins name

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:04 am

Wow, that's a really surprising post from Mike Ditka. :roll:

Real football is here. I'm not going to even think about this name "debate" for the next four months. Waste of time and energy. Quit feeding it.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 2047
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Redskins name

Postby emoses14 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:29 pm

SkinsJock wrote:and this just in from Ditka ...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -appalling

I know the stupid liberals are not going to go away - then again neither are those that feel it should not be changed

=D> thanks Mike


I understand that it is easy to transfer one's own monolithic way of looking at life to those who have the audacity to disagree with them. I get it. Stupidity, clearly, however, knows no political allegiance, color or side.

Keep the name!
-Me, a liberal who doesn't feel the name should be changed.

Image
Last edited by emoses14 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

DarthMonk
Posts: 4455
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Redskins name

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Here's a new one:

Excerpts:

This offseason, long-time NFL referee Mike Carey retired from on-field work and joined the CBS Sports team as our in-house officiating expert. So Carey was there on Monday when CBS Sports Phil Simms stated he might avoid using the term "Redskins" on broadcasts this year.

Turns out Carey's been avoiding the Redskins for years. Basically unbeknownst to everyone, Carey didn't work a Washington game from 2006 after requesting to be removed from their games because of the nickname.


“It just became clear to me that to be in the middle of the field, where something disrespectful is happening, was probably not the best thing for me,” Carey said.


Link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -team-name
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Redskins name

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:53 pm

:lol: reminds me of an expression ... "if you ever meet a good ..... you should shoot him before he goes bad ... " :twisted:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Brentwood, MD.

Re: Redskins name

Postby fabe » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:31 am

I have to say that I am tired of seeing this topic written about every day in the sports page, and also hearing about it every week during Redskins games. I've heard many arguments from both sides, and all of the arguments are bad.

On the one hand, simply saying "That's offensive" does not constitute an argument. When someone says to me that they're offended by what I say, I immediately respond with "What's your point?" All arguments stand on their merits. You don't get to eight-ball someone's entire argument just because you don't like one particular word or phrase within the statement.

Now, on the other side of the debate, saying that it's tradition, and that "If they change the name of the Redskins, they should also change X team's name too" is also a failed argument. Mike Ditka, you're definitely doing it wrong. [-X

The only argument that should be made for those who want to keep the name is CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT!

Words have no meaning until you put context behind them. That is the point of language! Is it offensive if I call a banana a kike? How about if I refer to a bicycle as a spic? Does any of this offend you? No, because when you apply racial slurs to objects rather than people, the word loses it's meaning. The same thing applies when it comes to the Washington Redskins.

Words evolve over time. For example, the word fag originally meant a bundle of sticks, which is why in England they call a pack of cigarettes fags, because it looks like a bundle of sticks. Later down the generations, someone decided to call a homosexual a fag, and then all of a sudden we have an offensive term for gay people.

With that said, I could take any word and suddenly make it offensive, if I apply offensive context to it. Let's use the popular candy Kit-Kats. If I were to suddenly go up to an Asian person and start saying things like "Hey you Kit-Kat! Yeah, I'm talking to you! Why don't you go back to your own country you stupid Kit-Kat? You Kit-Kats make me sick!" That Asian person would first wonder why he's being called a Kit-Kat, but he would also feel somewhat offended, simply because of the angry and racist tone in which I'm using it in.

It is very offensive to call an American Indian a redskin, which is why no one does it. But is it just as offensive to call a professional sports team redskins? No, because the context has completely changed.

It is deeply disappointing to see that people's self-esteem is so low that their psyche and confidence can be broken into pieces simply by hearing words that they don't like to hear. It truly shows the lack of intelligence in people today.

If you keep chanting "The name is racist, the name is racist" like a f***ing mantra, then it becomes racist, but for the wrong reasons. It becomes racist because they're beating "It's racist" into your head like a drum, which is not how you convince someone that a statement is true. The fact that people, who never cared about the name before, are suddenly coming out of the woodwork claiming that they suddenly see the name as racist, again shows the lack of intelligence in people today. They've been thoroughly convinced by hearing the mantra repeated over and over again.

Now to address the American Indians who find the name offensive. If you are offended by the word redskins, then you should stop calling yourselves redskins. You aren't being addressed as redskins from anyone outside of your own delusional minds. When we say Redskins, we aren't talking about you, so you should mind your own business.

One more time, the only argument that should be made for keeping the name is to speak about context. There's no need to need to talk about sensitivity, tradition, hypocrisy, liberals or political correctness (I'm looking at you Ditka [-X ).

I think I've covered just about everything that's been bothering me lately about this "controversy." So in conclusion, keep the name and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

08 Champ
Posts: 13411
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Redskins name

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:26 am

^^ thank you - it's all about the context ... =D>
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4768
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: Redskins name

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:14 am

fabe wrote:I have to say that I am tired of seeing this topic written about every day in the sports page, and also hearing about it every week during Redskins games. I've heard many arguments from both sides, and all of the arguments are bad.


Me too. So let's quit talking about.

Btw I totally agree with your last sentence there. I've heard many arguments from both sides, and all of the arguments are bad.

CKRGiii
Online
Posts: 4657
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Redskins name

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:54 am

fabe wrote:I have to say that I am tired of seeing this topic written about every day in the sports page, and also hearing about it every week during Redskins games. I've heard many arguments from both sides, and all of the arguments are bad.

On the one hand, simply saying "That's offensive" does not constitute an argument. When someone says to me that they're offended by what I say, I immediately respond with "What's your point?" All arguments stand on their merits. You don't get to eight-ball someone's entire argument just because you don't like one particular word or phrase within the statement.

Now, on the other side of the debate, saying that it's tradition, and that "If they change the name of the Redskins, they should also change X team's name too" is also a failed argument. Mike Ditka, you're definitely doing it wrong. [-X

The only argument that should be made for those who want to keep the name is CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT!

Words have no meaning until you put context behind them. That is the point of language! Is it offensive if I call a banana a kike? How about if I refer to a bicycle as a spic? Does any of this offend you? No, because when you apply racial slurs to objects rather than people, the word loses it's meaning. The same thing applies when it comes to the Washington Redskins.

Words evolve over time. For example, the word fag originally meant a bundle of sticks, which is why in England they call a pack of cigarettes fags, because it looks like a bundle of sticks. Later down the generations, someone decided to call a homosexual a fag, and then all of a sudden we have an offensive term for gay people.

With that said, I could take any word and suddenly make it offensive, if I apply offensive context to it. Let's use the popular candy Kit-Kats. If I were to suddenly go up to an Asian person and start saying things like "Hey you Kit-Kat! Yeah, I'm talking to you! Why don't you go back to your own country you stupid Kit-Kat? You Kit-Kats make me sick!" That Asian person would first wonder why he's being called a Kit-Kat, but he would also feel somewhat offended, simply because of the angry and racist tone in which I'm using it in.

It is very offensive to call an American Indian a redskin, which is why no one does it. But is it just as offensive to call a professional sports team redskins? No, because the context has completely changed.

It is deeply disappointing to see that people's self-esteem is so low that their psyche and confidence can be broken into pieces simply by hearing words that they don't like to hear. It truly shows the lack of intelligence in people today.

If you keep chanting "The name is racist, the name is racist" like a f***ing mantra, then it becomes racist, but for the wrong reasons. It becomes racist because they're beating "It's racist" into your head like a drum, which is not how you convince someone that a statement is true. The fact that people, who never cared about the name before, are suddenly coming out of the woodwork claiming that they suddenly see the name as racist, again shows the lack of intelligence in people today. They've been thoroughly convinced by hearing the mantra repeated over and over again.

Now to address the American Indians who find the name offensive. If you are offended by the word redskins, then you should stop calling yourselves redskins. You aren't being addressed as redskins from anyone outside of your own delusional minds. When we say Redskins, we aren't talking about you, so you should mind your own business.

One more time, the only argument that should be made for keeping the name is to speak about context. There's no need to need to talk about sensitivity, tradition, hypocrisy, liberals or political correctness (I'm looking at you Ditka [-X ).

I think I've covered just about everything that's been bothering me lately about this "controversy." So in conclusion, keep the name and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!


Great post! Unfortunately they will change the name hearing only (as you stated) bad arguments from both sides... shame you cant represent us and help keep the name for real...
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: Redskins name

Postby Neo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:50 pm

riggofan wrote:Wow, that's a really surprising post from Mike Ditka. :roll:

Real football is here. I'm not going to even think about this name "debate" for the next four months. Waste of time and energy. Quit feeding it.


Ditka is a pretty scary dude when he's mad. We should hire him to "speak" with the WaPo columnists...I'm sure he will cause much loss of bodily function controls :lol:
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football