DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 am

DeSean Jackson was released by Philly today. Should we take a run at him?

EDIT: On second thought......

Albert Breer, on NFL AM, intimated that DeSean Jackson may have some gang ties. If that's true, we don't need that kind of stuff around the program. Something to consider, of course.

Hog

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:32 pm

That whole thing is just weird. Dude had 1300+ yards and 9 TDs last year, and they just release him?

He'll be snapped up quickly. I just can't imagine it would be by us.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:42 pm

If he were to stay within the East, I want him here. I'd much rather him leave the division altogether.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:02 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:If he were to stay within the East, I want him here. I'd much rather him leave the division altogether.

You think the Giants would pick him up?

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:13 pm

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:If he were to stay within the East, I want him here. I'd much rather him leave the division altogether.

You think the Giants would pick him up?

Anything is possible...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:12 pm

Now that is amazing - if this guy has put his career at risk by making bad choices, then I certainly hope we don't try and pick him up

no player who does not consider the NFL to be worth making some sacrifices for is worth taking a chance on
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:45 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Now that is amazing - if this guy has put his career at risk by making bad choices, then I certainly hope we don't try and pick him up

no player who does not consider the NFL to be worth making some sacrifices for is worth taking a chance on

So then, sj I take it you don't think Jim it say is worth taking a chance on, too, right?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:11 pm

No thanks, he's too dumb...we already got rid of a really dumb player, Freddie Davis!

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 pm

YES. Who would we draft at no.34 that's better than that guy?
HAIL

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:56 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:YES. Who would we draft at no.34 that's better than that guy?

This franchise is no longer using the Fantasy NFL method of just adding the best player available ... there's no doubt that Jackson is a very good NFL player but for the Eagles to just let a really good player go is a huge concern for most GMs and I doubt that our guys will want to add any 'baggage' to the huge task they already have here

btw - I look for Jim Irsay to be dealt with very harshly by the NFL at the appropriate time

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:14 am

I'm thinking that the allegations were simply a covenient excuse to let him go for other reasons. He looks/acts like a whiny little diva b****. There are quotes from former teammates that he isn't a cancer but a distraction. Those IMO are the reasons he was released, the allegations just made it easier to justify freeing up the cap space.

Innocent until proven guilty no? This kid just had his character assassinated for stuff nobody has proff of or observed. He has plenty of ugly traits that we can prove.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 am

this is a very weird deal - fortunately for Jackson he has some support - this from Derrick Ward

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/d ... ore-032814

that seems to sum it all up nicely - confirming why Ward is no longer in the NFL - I'm sure Jackson will appreciate this a lot :lol:

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:25 am

I think they are worried about getting into an Aaron Hernandez situation. That probably has teams scared. The Eagles said they were wanting to trade him, but with the new allegations surfacing, said they cut off all trade negotiations. Didn't want to dump that on another team. He is probably going to be signed, but it could be a low value deal with escalators if he stays out of trouble and plays well, but an easy out for the team if he screws up.

I gotta say, the job that Billy did up in New England after losing Hernandez and Gronk was darn impressive.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:28 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

This franchise is no longer using the Fantasy NFL method of just adding the best player available ... there's no doubt that Jackson is a very good NFL player but for the Eagles to just let a really good player go is a huge concern for most GMs and I doubt that our guys will want to add any 'baggage' to the huge task they already have here

btw - I look for Jim Irsay to be dealt with very harshly by the NFL at the appropriate time

I'm not sure why just adding the BPA is the Fantasy NFL method and I'm not sure why you'd say we are no longer doing that. I'm thinking we have so many holes that we have to lean heavily toward the BPA philosophy. We don't have the luxury of choosing satisfying a short term need over thinking long term and stockpiling as much talent as possible.

The Cowboys were even defending NFC Champs who thought they had that luxury and by choosing "need" over BPA (thank goodness), they passed on Joe Montana in favor of Doug Cosbie:

He was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the third round of the 1979 NFL Draft. That year, the Cowboys were placed in the third round just ahead of the San Francisco 49ers. The Cowboys' draft strategy through that time was to take the highest-ranked player on their draft board, regardless of position. When the Cowboys' turn came up in the third round, the highest rated player on their board was Joe Montana. However, feeling that the quarterback position was in excellent shape with Roger Staubach and Danny White, and needing a tight end, the Cowboys went off their strategy and drafted Cosbie. The 49ers selected Montana.

The general consensus in the NFL is to lean toward BPA - especially in the front half of the draft. I suspect (and hope) that is how we will lean.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:29 pm

SkinsJock wrote:

I'm not sure why just adding the BPA is the Fantasy NFL method and I'm not sure why you'd say we are no longer doing that. I'm thinking we have so many holes that we have to lean heavily toward the BPA philosophy. We don't have the luxury of choosing satisfying a short term need over thinking long term and stockpiling as much talent as possible.

The Cowboys were even defending NFC Champs who thought they had that luxury and by choosing "need" over BPA (thank goodness), they passed on Joe Montana in favor of Doug Cosbie:

He was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the third round of the 1979 NFL Draft. That year, the Cowboys were placed in the third round just ahead of the San Francisco 49ers. The Cowboys' draft strategy through that time was to take the highest-ranked player on their draft board, regardless of position. When the Cowboys' turn came up in the third round, the highest rated player on their board was Joe Montana. However, feeling that the quarterback position was in excellent shape with Roger Staubach and Danny White, and needing a tight end, the Cowboys went off their strategy and drafted Cosbie. The 49ers selected Montana.

The general consensus in the NFL is to lean toward BPA - especially in the front half of the draft. I suspect (and hope) that is how we will lean.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football