DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 2043
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby emoses14 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:24 am

If we buy that the rift between RGIII and Mike started around the knew injury in 2012, then the laser focus of the media on his recovery and when he would play would and the ensuing circus that focus created shouldn't even remotely be an issue with a new coach and no recovery form an injury to report on. In other words, I don't see RGIII being a media circus now that he isn't the incoming Heisman winning rookie, isn't coming of an injury that the media believes is juicy because it was exacerbated by (opinion, not fact!) Mike's poor decision making and there is no issue regarding the timetable for his playing again.

So, maybe Gruden has some space for the headache that Desean might bring?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4755
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:27 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:This is a deep draft for WRs as everyone has commented. Would it not be wiser, given DJax's 'attitude' issues (late for meetings, 'not trying his hardest' etc), to look there..? What rookie head coach wants a potential headache like that when you've already got the media circus that is RGIII to handle...?


Now these are legitimate concerns. This is where your FO (Bruce, Gruden & Doug) comes into play. They brought Doug Williams in to mentor these kids. Will they be able to discern if he's ready to mature? Do they believe Garcon and Moss can mentor him?


This is also an apples:oranges thing IMO. I don't think drafting a WR in the second round is really a substitute for signing DJAX now. Jackson is a seasoned player, no question about his abilities, who you know is going to start on day one. I've given my reasons why I would consider drafting a WR this year, but I wouldn't have any expectations of that guy starting this year much less producing like Desean Jackson.

I thought the comment about sending Hankerson packing was interesting. Not that I disagree exactly, but I would kind of think that Aldrick Robinson would be on the line if we were to sign Jackson.

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4755
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 am

emoses14 wrote:In other words, I don't see RGIII being a media circus now that he isn't the incoming Heisman winning rookie, isn't coming of an injury that the media believes is juicy because it was exacerbated by (opinion, not fact!) Mike's poor decision making and there is no issue regarding the timetable for his playing again.


The only thing the media enjoys more than tearing a guy down is reporting on the comeback story. If this off season is any indication, I think Robert is going to keep his head down and not give those vultures any ammunition either. I don't expect the media circus.

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:31 am

riggofan wrote:This is also an apples:oranges thing IMO. I don't think drafting a WR in the second round is really a substitute for signing DJAX now. Jackson is a seasoned player, no question about his abilities, who you know is going to start on day one. I've given my reasons why I would consider drafting a WR this year, but I wouldn't have any expectations of that guy starting this year much less producing like Desean Jackson.

I thought the comment about sending Hankerson packing was interesting. Not that I disagree exactly, but I would kind of think that Aldrick Robinson would be on the line if we were to sign Jackson.



I think that I'd rather go FS or MLB at #2, as the roster stands right now.

I choose Hank cus of the injury and EXTREMELY mediocre play. I'd go after a taller WR later in the draft to groom and bring along. Aldrick won games for us last year with big plays, you don't just throw that type of speed away. Especially with how questionable Mike's reputation with players is at this point...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4755
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:46 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:This is also an apples:oranges thing IMO. I don't think drafting a WR in the second round is really a substitute for signing DJAX now. Jackson is a seasoned player, no question about his abilities, who you know is going to start on day one. I've given my reasons why I would consider drafting a WR this year, but I wouldn't have any expectations of that guy starting this year much less producing like Desean Jackson.

I thought the comment about sending Hankerson packing was interesting. Not that I disagree exactly, but I would kind of think that Aldrick Robinson would be on the line if we were to sign Jackson.



I think that I'd rather go FS or MLB at #2, as the roster stands right now.

I choose Hank cus of the injury and EXTREMELY mediocre play. I'd go after a taller WR later in the draft to groom and bring along. Aldrick won games for us last year with big plays, you don't just throw that type of speed away. Especially with how questionable Mike's reputation with players is at this point...


Yeah I guess I was thinking about having two speed guys. No doubt Robinson has it, he's just been so inconsistent in making those big catches. (I could be wrong about that, just the impression I've had of him and your comment about Shanahan is true.) You're probably right though that the injuries to Hankerson might make him the odd man out.

Draft will be interesting. The problem with a safety as #34 is that its not a deep safety draft. If we get lucky and somebody like Calvin Pryor drops to us, that would be cool. Otherwise there's a good chance of reaching on a guy there. There are some good ILB options available in the 2-4 round range. With no first round pick, I really think we've got to take the best player we can get with our second rounder not just the best safety or linebacker.

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:49 am

riggofan wrote:Yeah I guess I was thinking about having two speed guys. No doubt Robinson has it, he's just been so inconsistent in making those big catches. (I could be wrong about that, just the impression I've had of him and your comment about Shanahan is true.) You're probably right though that the injuries to Hankerson might make him the odd man out.

Draft will be interesting. The problem with a safety as #34 is that its not a deep safety draft. If we get lucky and somebody like Calvin Pryor drops to us, that would be cool. Otherwise there's a good chance of reaching on a guy there. There are some good ILB options available in the 2-4 round range. With no first round pick, I really think we've got to take the best player we can get with our second rounder not just the best safety or linebacker.


And I too could be mistaken, but it was the routine catches where Aldrick displayed his inconsistency. He was pretty consistent with the big plays, which is why he's still around.

There's really nothing about Hankerson that stands out. And we all learned it takes a long time to come back from an ACL.

I don't disagree.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby 44diesel » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 am

Living near philly I have always disliked Djax but that's more because how he'd burn us when we played him. The idea of him being in DC makes me giddy with all of the possibilities his presence would bring to our offense. Not just all of the potential mismatches, but teams would not be able to stack the box which spells big numbers for Alf and RGIII (on occasion). I'm also loving the idea of what he could mean to our special teams. Plus, I'd love our D to get the inside scoop on the Chip Kelly playbook.

I do hope that he keeps his head on straight. We don't need any more distractions, but it sounds like he has it out for his former team and I'd love to capitalize. If we don't get him, I hope he leaves the conference. I definitely don't want him in the division paired with Dez or with Cruz.

I also agree with many of the thoughts on here that picking up DJAX would allow us to use our picks on other holes. I'm certainly keeping my eyes and ears open as this story develops.

For what it's worth, DHall loves the idea: http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... ke-my-year
"Givin'em the Business!"

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:08 am

YES !!
=D>
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

||||||
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 2:55 pm
Location: Below the Appalachian Trail

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby EA7649 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:20 am

I always hated his arrogance on the field. Since, I live in the DE valley and a Redskins fan. He could grow on me quickly.

However, I honestly feel if we don't lock a contract with Jackson before he leaves DC. He will NOT be a Redskin.

Better make a GREAT pitch!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:have the new coaching staff work on Aldrick's game to see if we can get more out of him


I HONESTLY CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT.
IN FACT, AFTER THIS I'LL PRETEND YOU NEVER SAID SUCH A STUPID STATEMENT. *SLR AND I ARE COOL, NO DISRESPECT AND HE KNOWS*
SO YEA, DON'T EVER TYPE ALDRICK AND DJAX IN THE SAME MESSAGE EVER IN YOUR LIFE OK? [-X
LOL.. GO DRINK YOUR TEA OR SOMETHING


LOL!

You can tell LPJ is excited - EVERYTHING he's typing is in caps!!!

No man, I'm not saying Aldrick is or will be in the same league as DJax - but any new head coach would be a fool to toss him aside without working hard on his game for a season. Potential game-winner, albeit not in the same class as DJax.

Point is, what money we have left should probably go to other areas. Personally my priority would be FS. I'd give Ryan Clark a higher offer (don't know the details of what's on the table now, obviously) but just to have him mentor Rambo and Thomas and his influence on the dressing room (possibly the exact opposite of what DJax could bring) would be really, really helpful. Plus I think he's still got another great year in him and is better than any other options out there or in house or that will be there by pick 34 in the draft.

An extra $500k or $1m in his direction could swing the deal and be a much wiser investment.

If someone said to you at the start of free agency you could remove almost the entire pass rush of the Cowgirls (and land them with Weeden!) and DJax would be out of the division altogether you'd have been happy, right..? Helps our chances of winning the division no end.

Anyway, my tea is getting cold... so back to my original question; has he landed yet...????
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Anyway, my tea is getting cold... so back to my original question; has he landed yet...????


I dont think he'll be here till tonight. It's not even noon yet.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:59 am

DJax is most definitely overvalued and had never played up to all of the hype that he receives. People talk about him like he is a top flight WR... he isn't.

He is more of an Alvin Harper than a Michael Irvin. He is more of a Rocky Sanders than a Clark or Monk.

With that said... I still want him :-)

He may not be a #1 WR, but he is somebody that D Coordinators have to plan for. He can change a game with a punt return or one catch. For most games his biggest impact would be freeing up Garcon and Reed or taking away any thought of a D playing and eight man front on 2nd and 2.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:59 am

Ahh, but wait!!!

My sources have just confirmed that DJax is currently in the air on a plane!

Presumably heading to D.C....
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

**LPJ**
Posts: 6385
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:14 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:Ahh, but wait!!!

My sources have just confirmed that DJax is currently in the air on a plane!

Presumably heading to D.C....


Sorry, we do not believe your source because he wears this hat even in 90+ degrees :mrgreen:

Image
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am

Oi! Don't knock him, he and DJax go way back. They used to run together around Compton back in the day...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football