DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:DJax is most definitely overvalued and had never played up to all of the hype that he receives. People talk about him like he is a top flight WR... he isn't.

He is more of an Alvin Harper than a Michael Irvin. He is more of a Rocky Sanders than a Clark or Monk.

With that said... I still want him :-)

He may not be a #1 WR, but he is somebody that D Coordinators have to plan for. He can change a game with a punt return or one catch. For most games his biggest impact would be freeing up Garcon and Reed or taking away any thought of a D playing and eight man front on 2nd and 2.


He's far from being a #1. But he's THAT guy that allows your #1 to truly excel. DJax demands attention. He's #2 in receptions of 20+ yards, that number will rise if they focus too much on Garcon.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:02 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
fredp45 wrote:Don't want him for a few reasons:

1) Knucklehead;
2) Injury risk;
2) Prima dona; and
3) Will want a lot of money.

We need to spend our remaining cap on linemen...

I know all the talking heads are saying, we need more WRs but I think we have too many other needs to spend more cap space on WR. Protect our franchise QB this year, with better lineman, and get another toy next year.

No thanks.


1. What is your definition of a "knucklehead" and what proof do you have other than these BS fabrications that the national media outlets now seem to be backing away from?
2. Injury risk? How so? I researched it and can't find any information about him being injury prone.
3. This is true.
4. He will want it, but he'll only get what the market values him at.


Haven't we acquired at least 3 linemen thus far in free agency? Do you want 10 more linemen? Do you think we have have unlimited roster sizes? Isn't there still a draft? Won't there be additional releases AFTER the draft? Not wanting Jackson is a fair opinion but where are the facts?


Right, because the Eagles released a player in the prime of his career, coming off of a career year, because he's a model citizen, hard worker, and great teammate. Makes a lot of sense. And the teams most after him, the Skins, Bills, and Raiders are known for making great decisions in free agency.

The Eagles didn't even bother waiting until after the draft to cut Jackson, when teams with needs at receiver might be willing to deal.
Suck and Luck

Hog
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm
Location: Midland, VA

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:14 pm

As for Jackson’s supposed lack of professionalism, the Redskins’ locker room is strong enough to help keep Jackson in line from a football standpoint, if that’s something that needs to be done. Behind the scenes, people within the organization say, Griffin and cornerback DeAngelo Hall are pushing for the team to make what would be its biggest roster move since four high-round picks were sent to the St. Louis Rams for the pick that was used on Griffin.

From the time he was in high school, Jackson has been considered a bit of a me-first guy. No one who has dealt with Jackson would dispute that he’s a tad self-absorbed. And you know what else he is? A potential game-changer for a franchise that has finished last in its division five of six years.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:14 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:Right, because the Eagles released a player in the prime of his career, coming off of a career year, because he's a model citizen, hard worker, and great teammate. Makes a lot of sense. And the teams most after him, the Skins, Bills, and Raiders are known for making great decisions in free agency.

The Eagles didn't even bother waiting until after the draft to cut Jackson, when teams with needs at receiver might be willing to deal.


- Where are the facts? The LAPD are refuting the Eagles claims. I'm not disputing that he's a role model but what he's being accused of. It just doesn't add up.

- And it's not just the teams you mentioned, because you wanted to prove a point. The 49er's, Bucs and Carolina have/had interest, 3 times with respected coaches. It's also comical that lump the Redskins in with teams that make terrible decisions in free agency when this FO regime has done nothing of the sort... Oh! His former HC in Andy Reid wants him, after an AMAZING first season.

- It's also very telling that notable websites are backing off of the claims made by Philly.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/61750/eagles-needed-patience-with-jackson
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/desean-jackson-faq-what-the-eagles-were-thinking-and-where-we-go-from-here/

I guess the Eagles FO gets their information NJ.com... Because thats where the report stems from. They just didn't want to pay the guy and used some report to validate their decision... KNOWING. KNOWING, that people are dumb enough to eat it right up.

- I like how people believe everything that's spewed from the mouths of NFL coaches/front offices. Like these aren't the same people the colluded against the players. Like these aren't the same folks that participated in screwing us over. Yeah, they have nothing but great intentions.

- Like I said before, this reeks of college coach not being able to handle players as men and not boys.

- I get that DJax isn't RGIII, but neither is D. Hall. And yalll b*** and moan about him too.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk
Online
Posts: 4258
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:16 pm

I do not know DeSean Jackson. The alleged gang ties do not concern me.

I saw him quit a few years ago against Seattle. That concerns me more than anything else.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1185
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 pm

There is a report going round that Desean spent a number of hours with RGIII in L.A over the weekend.

Did anybody else hear that...?

The only way we're getting DJax I think is if he's desperate to play against the iggles twice a year. If that's a big part of his motivation then we're in, otherwise I can't see it happening...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:37 pm

Here's a simple question for some of you. Would Jackson have been released if he was only making $500k a year?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4473
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:35 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:There is a report going round that Desean spent a number of hours with RGIII in L.A over the weekend.

Did anybody else hear that...?


Well, its from TMZ sports, but its out there:

Looks like the Redskins are serious about DeSean Jackson -- 'cause TMZ Sports has learned the WR hung out with RG3 in L.A. this weekend BEFORE he got on a plane to meet with the team in D.C.

Sources tell us ... DJ and Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III "spent several hours" together in Los Angeles -- apparently things went well.

Jackson is now on a plane destined for D.C. -- where he's reportedly set to meet with team honchos.

Despite all the drama surrounding his release from the Eagles, we're told DeSean has been laser-focused on football -- and has been training like a maniac.

There are several teams that have reportedly expressed interest in Jackson -- but with the meeting between RG3 and DJ, it looks like the Redskins could have an edge.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/31/desean-ja ... z2xZQZkaG2

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:The only way we're getting DJax I think is if he's desperate to play against the iggles twice a year. If that's a big part of his motivation then we're in, otherwise I can't see it happening...


I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but I don't see it as "the only way". The Skins along with the Bills and Raiders are the teams that can probably make him the best contract offer right now. So if the money offered from those three teams is about the same or close, which team do you want to play for?

I don't want to be the pot calling out the kettle, but the Raiders are a perpetual mess. Even if you think they're a better franchise than Washington, at least we have a QB. The Bills play in Buffalo. So no, I don't think we have to bank strictly on some sense of revenge for him to sign.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4473
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby riggofan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Here's a simple question for some of you. Would Jackson have been released if he was only making $500k a year?


Hmmm. I don't know. You're saying he was more likely to be released because he was making so much money? I guess I can see that. Its definitely easier to bench and discipline a guy you're only paying $30K/game than a guy making $600K/game.

I still find it insane though that they were willing to take a $6m cap hit on him this year. Its not like they needed to cut him to free up money for other needs or something this year like the Cowboys and D. Ware. I think I would probably still keep him around rather than eat that $6m.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:10 pm

- Where are the facts? The LAPD are refuting the Eagles claims. I'm not disputing that he's a role model but what he's being accused of. It just doesn't add up.


One, it's not the Eagles' claims. It was claims made in the NJ article. The Eagles haven't said anything about it. Two, the LAPD isn't refuting what was in the article. Have you read it? I'm guessing no. It doesn't say that he is in a gang or involved in any crimes, it nearly says that pictures and other information indicates that Jackson has friends who are believed to be in gangs. For example, the article notes that Jackson posted pictures on Instagram of him with a known member of a gang who was charged in a murder. Nobody has said specifically that he's a gang, the article only said that the Eagles were concerned with some of his associations. After what happened with Aaron Hernandez I'm not surprised that the Eagles would be concerned about this stuff, if it's true.

Should these allegations alone preclude the Skins from signing Jackson? Of course not. I'm sure the Skins have security personnel on staff with law enforcement background and I'm sure they'll check all this out. However, when you take these allegations and add in Jackson's reputation for being late to meetings, now also practicing and playing hard, being a diva, does it really make sense to sign him when we're rebuilding and don't exactly have a locker room with strong veteran leadership? I would say no. DHall wants to take him under his wing, but who's going to take Hall and his undisciplined behavior under their wing?

I guess the Eagles FO gets their information NJ.com... Because thats where the report stems from. They just didn't want to pay the guy and used some report to validate their decision... KNOWING. KNOWING, that people are dumb enough to eat it right up.


The Eagles had $16 million in cap space before cutting Jackson. They didn't need to cut him for financial reasons. And if the decision was purely one of business, why did they cut Jackson before the draft? There was no difference to their cap if he was cut before or after the draft, so why not wait until after the draft, when teams might be willing to trade for a receiver, to make this move?

- Like I said before, this reeks of college coach not being able to handle players as men and not boys.


You say that there is baseless speculation about Jackson, but how is this statement of yours any different? What proof do you have that Chip Kelly can't handle NFL players. But I'm sure you're right, because it's not like he took a 4-12 team and took them to 10-6. Oh, wait...
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1932
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby emoses14 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:02 pm

So, to summarize succinctly, Kelley is a control freak who couldn't stand someone who wouldn't toe his line http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/report-didnt-sink-desean-his-exit-was-sealed

Ego knows no bounds.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1185
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:18 pm

No updates on DJax - BUT hearing that we've agreed terms with Ryan Clark, which is great news!!!!!
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:42 pm

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby fredp45 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Chris LL --

1. What is your definition of a "knucklehead" and what proof do you have other than these BS fabrications that the national media outlets now seem to be backing away from?

I am NOT basing my "Knucklehead" designation on the gang stuff -- more the holding out, spiking the ball on the 5 yard line just before scoring a TD, which by the way, he apparently did in HS...

2. Injury risk? How so? I researched it and can't find any information about him being injury prone.

He had concussions three years in a row, 09, 10 and 11....in fact, we knocked him out one of those times...In 2012 he missed 1/4 of the year. He is not a big guy, injuries could become more of an issue. Do we want to allocate a lot of money to a guy sitting on IR?

3. This is true.

It sure is!!

4. He will want it, but he'll only get what the market values him at.

Agreed, and I don't want to use a huge chunk of our cap on him this year, or next year. This looks like an "old Redskins" free agency move to me. I liked the fiscal restraint. Too many skins fans are waiting and hoping for another big signing, ala, the old SKins. I don't want to go back to winning the off-season. Free Agency is NOT the way to win in the NFL.


Haven't we acquired at least 3 linemen thus far in free agency? Do you want 10 more linemen? Do you think we have have unlimited roster sizes? Isn't there still a draft? Won't there be additional releases AFTER the draft? Not wanting Jackson is a fair opinion but where are the facts?

We've aquired 2, Campbell didn't pass the physical. I know how large the rosters are, just like you. The guard we signed from the Browns, early on, will make the team. The recent guard we signed from the Colts, might not make the team. There will be cuts as teams draft guys. I want competition as 4 of our 5 starters (and all of our subs) stunk. We need better protection.


[b]Those are my facts!!!

piglet
User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:19 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby AnthonyRRedskin1995 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:52 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
fredp45 wrote:Don't want him for a few reasons:

1) Knucklehead;
2) Injury risk;
2) Prima dona; and
3) Will want a lot of money.

We need to spend our remaining cap on linemen...

I know all the talking heads are saying, we need more WRs but I think we have too many other needs to spend more cap space on WR. Protect our franchise QB this year, with better lineman, and get another toy next year.

No thanks.


1. What is your definition of a "knucklehead" and what proof do you have other than these BS fabrications that the national media outlets now seem to be backing away from?
2. Injury risk? How so? I researched it and can't find any information about him being injury prone.
3. This is true.
4. He will want it, but he'll only get what the market values him at.


Haven't we acquired at least 3 linemen thus far in free agency? Do you want 10 more linemen? Do you think we have have unlimited roster sizes? Isn't there still a draft? Won't there be additional releases AFTER the draft? Not wanting Jackson is a fair opinion but where are the facts?


Right, because the Eagles released a player in the prime of his career, coming off of a career year, because he's a model citizen, hard worker, and great teammate. Makes a lot of sense. And the teams most after him, the Skins, Bills, and Raiders are known for making great decisions in free agency.

The Eagles didn't even bother waiting until after the draft to cut Jackson, when teams with needs at receiver might be willing to deal.




+1. Also worth noting that his former teammates were publicly happy about the move. I think a bad locker room guy like Jackson with a first time head coach is a potential recipe for a disaster. Stay away and hope to find a diamond in the rough late in the draft next month.
“I don’t like ‘em. They all have bad breath.” Dexter Manley on Cowboys Fans.

#######
Posts: 7224
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: DeSean Jackson -- Should we?

Postby The Hogster » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:43 pm

According to PFT, Jackson to the Skins is a "Done Deal"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nt-3273428

The DeSean Jackson free agency tour may turn out to be a short trip.

Jackson arrived in Washington to meet with the Redskins on Monday evening in a visit that will continue into Tuesday. According to Tim McManus of 95.7 The Fanatic in Philadelphia, things are already progressing toward a possible deal between the two sides.

McManus cites sources relaying that discussions between the two sides are going “very well” and a source close to Jackson that said it’s a “done deal” with the Redskins.

The Redskins are currently the only visit that Jackson has lined up.
A second visit would be scheduled if a deal isn’t done in Washington.

Jackson was released by the Eagles on Friday and is coming off the best season of his career. Jackson caught 82 passes for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns with the Eagles last season.

Jackson reportedly is seeking $9-$10 million a season in a new contract. He was scheduled to make $10.5 million with the Eagles this season before being released.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football