Redskins sign DJax

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Redskins sign DJax

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:30 am

ROTFALMAO Something else to think about when you hear how the Skins have overpaid for DJax...

DeSean Jackson will count more against the Eagles' salary-cap this season ($6.25M) than he will the Redskins' ($4.25M).
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:06 pm

1niksder wrote:ROTFALMAO Something else to think about when you hear how the Skins have overpaid for DJax...

DeSean Jackson will count more against the Eagles' salary-cap this season ($6.25M) than he will the Redskins' ($4.25M).

:lol: I love this
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:12 pm

SkinsJock wrote:The most important position on an NFL team is the QB - we have that and he's going to be V motivated ...

after that - the most important thing to have is depth and 'continuity' (OR the players getting to know how to play together) - THIS WILL TAKE TIME

we have some good players, but ....

we need to address a lot of issues and we need the players we have to develop continuity AND 'learn' how to play together - it will take time

the offensive line is not going to be effective by just 'adding' players - it will take time

developing an effective defense is V important - it will take time

adding DeSean Jackson is great but let's not fool ourselves - we are a 3-13 franchise - it will take time

I like what these FO guys are doing but it's going to take more than just adding a few 'good' players - we are a 3-13 franchise - let's get real here :lol:

Solid points. I think that having a new coach this year, and such an embarrassing season last year should be a great motivator for the team.

I'm not buying Super Bowl tickets or anything, but I wouldn't think it unreasonable to hope for dramatic improvements this year. The team seems eager to get back to practice which is a great sign. Almost seems like Shanny had these guys hating the game. Anyway, he's gone, so oh well.

I'm forecasting a 75% chance of winning the division this year. Its the NFL though, every year this team could go 16-0 or 0-16 with no logical explanation :/
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

cappster

Postby Cappster » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Think about this: We could have drafted Jackson the same year we took Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas. Where are those guys now? Doh!
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Cappster wrote:Think about this: We could have drafted Jackson the same year we took Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas. Where are those guys now? Doh!

I think we drafted a stoner TE a pick or 2 before DJax went.

I love that his dead money for Philly is more than our cap hit for him.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Cappster wrote:Think about this: We could have drafted Jackson the same year we took Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas. Where are those guys now?
Doh!

I think they're in here somewhere...

Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:00 pm

^^^ BWHAAAAA!!!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:24 pm

Well we just got probably the fastest player in the league. This move helps out our whole offense. Now who do you double? Hoping Hanktime can step up another level. Dont forget our tight ends as well.

Can you imagine DJax on a motion with RG3s triple threat option? Oooh this is gonna be good.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Well we just got probably the fastest player in the league. This move helps out our whole offense. Now who do you double? Hoping Hanktime can step up another level. Dont forget our tight ends as well.

At this point, I suspect Hank is going to be lucky just to make the roster, and I doubt he sees the field with any regularity unless we lose at least two players to IR.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:12 am

Neo wrote:I'm not buying Super Bowl tickets or anything, but I wouldn't think it unreasonable to hope for dramatic improvements this year. The team seems eager to get back to practice which is a great sign. Almost seems like Shanny had these guys hating the game. Anyway, he's gone, so oh well.

I'm forecasting a 75% chance of winning the division this year. Its the NFL though, every year this team could go 16-0 or 0-16 with no logical explanation :/

Well said. I'm not ready to start beating the drums, but I also think we'll be considerably better than last year. The deck was stacked against us last year in so many ways.

Wish I could find the article now, but I was looking at some NFC East predictions on ESPN after the DJAX signing and of course everybody predicted the Redskins would still finish in last place. I'm completely fine with that and prefer not being hyped, but the "analysis" was pretty typical. Everyone just predicting the division would finish up the same way it ended last year.

If the Cowboys don't finish in last place this year, I will be shocked. I don't see how people can overlook what a mess they are going into this year. Cap mess, Romo injuries, and losing a bunch of key players. I expect their year to look like our 2013. In my book, the Eagles are still on top until we see anything different. I think the Giants have a lot of problems, and they're not as stable as they've usually been. They're always well coached though, so right now I'd expect to be battling it out with them for the middle of the pack.

My guess is if RGIII looks good in the preseason, folks will be singing a different tune pretty quickly.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 am

As soon as it becomes obvious that Griffin will play QB at a very high level and that the Redskins are going to be a lot more effective in all aspects of the game, the rush to be on the Redskins bandwagon will begin - BIG TIME

unfortunately the reality is that the Redskins are going to be a better team than last season, (how hard is that to predict - :lol: ) but they still need more time and better depth to get back to being a good football team - winning 8-10 games this year will be very big, most unlikely result of a great first season under Jay Gruden

signing Jackson is a good step - building depth and finding continuity is a long term process
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:22 am

Here's an "insider" article from ESPN today on why the Skins will be in last place. I don't disagree with the criticisms (especially the lack of playmakers on defense), I just think it totally discounts that other teams in the NFC East have significant issues as well.

One of the recurring themes of the "Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract" books was that talent collection and team-building are not the same thing. James would always note that pennants were built with groups of skilled ballplayers but also detailed many instances where the stockpiling of ability didn't lead to wins because it wasn't paired with proper roster management.

This lesson looks as if it might apply to the Washington Redskins' recent signing of DeSean Jackson to a three-year, $24 million deal. Jackson's skills are undeniable, but when looking at the metrics and the impact this move could have on the burgundy-and-gold's offensive approach, it becomes clear that this deal improves Washington's talent level on offense but may not lead to more wins. Even with Jackson in the fold, this still looks like a last-place team in the NFC East.

The biggest reason for that: The other side of the ball still has a paucity of talent.

Offensive impact

Jackson certainly upgrades Washington's passing attack, especially on downfield throws. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Redskins tallied only 1,575 vertical passing yards last season (defined as aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield), a total placing 27th in the NFL. Washington's top two vertical pass-catchers, Pierre Garcon and Aldrick Robinson, gained fewer combined yards (813) than Jackson had with the Eagles last season (905).

It isn't just a matter of quantity, as Jackson tallied a 13.5 vertical YPA (VYPA) that was tops among Philadelphia wide receivers. That total was also higher than any VYPA total posted by a Washington wideout last season (Leonard Hankerson led that group of players with a 10.5 VYPA).

The combination of Jackson and Garcon should go a long way toward moving Robert Griffin III back to his 2012 level of play. In that campaign, Griffin had the rare combination of dominant downfield metrics (his 14.6 VYPA was tops in the league) and good decision-making (1.2 percent bad decision rate was tied for third). He came fairly close to replicating the bad decision rate (BDR) last season by notching a 1.9 percent mark in that metric, but his 9.65 VYPA fell well short of matching his rookie season total, thus illustrating Washington's need to upgrade in this area. (Note: Bad decisions are defined as mental errors that lead to a turnover opportunity for the opposing team.)

Add the potentially dominant combination of wide receivers and quarterback to a talented young tight end (Jordan Reed) and a good pass-protector in the draft (Mel Kiper Jr. indicates Tennessee offensive tackle Antonio Richardson could be a possibility), and this team will have just about all of the weapons it needs to be a strong pass-first offense.

Defensive backlash

Unfortunately, that won't help to upgrade a leaky defense. Washington's pass defense was abysmal last season, especially on downfield passes, where its 11.76 VYPA ranked 26th in the league. A main reason for this performance is a group of cornerbacks and safeties that isn't up to par.

The primary personnel weakness at cornerback was David Amerson. He was taken in the second round of the 2013 draft, despite having a slew of inconsistent performances at NC State -- including a Week 1 debacle in 2012 that saw him beaten for two long touchdown passes, a troubling trend that continued in his rookie NFL campaign. Amerson posted a shutdown cornerback-caliber 4.0 yards per attempt (YPA) against short passes (those thrown 10 or fewer yards downfield) but was a double-digit YPA sieve on vertical passes (12.7 VYPA). He's still a young player, so improvement is possible, but these numbers are a bad starting point.

The deficient coverage at safety came from Brandon Meriweather, who fared quite badly when in direct coverage (plays where he was directly responsible for covering a receiver rather than giving another defender help over the top), allowing 12 completions for 145 yards on 15 attempts (9.7 YPA).

Washington did get a good season out of DeAngelo Hall (6.9 YPA, 8.7 VYPA) but might do well to not assume this is a long-term trend for a player who has posted abysmal YPA numbers in the past (9.5 YPA in 2012, ranked 76th among qualifying cornerbacks).

The Redskins have attempted to upgrade this area in free agency with the additions of cornerback Tracy Porter and safety Ryan Clark.

Porter did have solid YPA (6.8) and VYPA (10.2) marks last season, but some of that may have been due to his inclusion in a Raiders secondary with so many other weak cornerbacks to target. When teams had Phillip Adams (9.4 YPA, 13.2 VYPA) and Mike Jenkins (8.7 YPA, 12.8 VYPA) to throw at, it didn't pay to target Porter. There is also a durability concern here, as Porter has played a full 16 games in only one of his six NFL seasons and has missed four or more games in four seasons.

Clark is an aging veteran whom the Pittsburgh Steelers, a team known for giving up on players when they get a bit long in the tooth, decided to let go after last season. Bill Polian's free-agent write-up on Clark says in part: "For as much playing time as he got this past year, Clark rarely showed up in a positive way. He spends most of his time away from the line of scrimmage, but no longer has very good range for such a role."

To be fair, that report does note Clark could be a good fill-in fit for a team looking to groom a younger player, but given the question marks on the current group of Washington free safety candidates, it will take a lot of grooming to get them up to acceptable performance levels.

These two additions also won't do much to increase Washington's interception total (16, tied for 15th). Porter may be famous for his Super Bowl XLIV-clinching pick-six, but he snagged only two interceptions last season and had one near interception (defined as a pass that hit his catching frame but wasn't converted into an interception). This is only the second season Porter has picked off more than one pass.

Clark is in a similar statistical boat, as he has only 15 career interceptions and has picked off more than two passes in only two seasons (2005 and 2009). Some of this may be due to how Pittsburgh used its safeties during his tenure, but it also is likely a leading indicator that ball hawking is not one of Clark's strong suits.

Bottom line

The combination of a high-powered passing game with a weak secondary all but assures this team will see more than its share of passing shootouts in 2014. That may lead to some exciting games and very happy fantasy football owners, but shootouts are a 50-50 proposition even for the best offenses in the NFL. The 2013 Denver Broncos, who scored more points than any team in league history, went 5-4 in games where the opposing team scored 23 or more points.

As good as Washington's offense might be, it won't be anywhere near as strong as last season's Broncos squad, so the Redskins will be lucky to post a winning record in games of that scoring potential. Unless and until this team is able to vastly improve its defensive pass coverage in the draft, it's likely looking at a 2014 season heavy in highlights but relatively light in wins. As things stand right now, heading into the draft, the Redskins project as the last-place team in the NFC East.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:56 am

riggofan wrote:Here's an "insider" article from ESPN today on why the Skins will be in last place. I don't disagree with the criticisms (especially the lack of playmakers on defense), I just think it totally discounts that other teams in the NFC East have significant issues as well.

thanks for that - I think that like a lot of fans and media, at this time - things are not going to be as great or as bad as they think - I am VERY confident that 3 people in particular will have a very big impact on this season - Jay Gruden, Jim Haslett and Robert Griffin - each of these guys will be very motivated to do their jobs very well

BIG steps in the right direction this year - I don't think we win the NFC East but I do think we have a better chance at that than being below the pukes at season's end
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:41 am

1niksder wrote:ROTFALMAO Something else to think about when you hear how the Skins have overpaid for DJax...

:!:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Well we just got probably the fastest player in the league. This move helps out our whole offense. Now who do you double? Hoping Hanktime can step up another level. Dont forget our tight ends as well.

At this point, I suspect Hank is going to be lucky just to make the roster, and I doubt he sees the field with any regularity unless we lose at least two players to IR.

Your probably right. Just wishful thinking on my part.

However our tight ends could fill the role of taller physical receiver type.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football