Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Redskins Pre-Draft Visits

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:58 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:The best player available at #34 is most likely at a position of need - so we get both bases covered :lol:

hah. No doubt! My argument would be though if you ask anybody what our biggest need is, I'll bet 9 out of 10 people would say SAFETY.
We'll see how it shakes out, but I'd be willing to bet a safety won't be the best player on the board at #34.

Draft the best guy. No point in reaching for a guy to fill a need just to find out he can't start for you four months later.

I understand what you're getting at ... fact is, we badly need help at more than just safety

like a lot of drafts, the key is to have guys making the picks that have done their due diligence and find and select the players that can contribute
some may take a while to develop - this FO and scouting department have to do a great job

the key is to identify players that have the desire - they are all talented - some want to play ... most just want to get paid
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016
we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:19 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:During the run-up to the 2009 draft, there were a number of players, including Mark Sanchez, whom the Redskins were very publicly showing interest in... with LOTS of talk about plans to trade up. It was all the chatter here on THN... and I warned folks that they had no real interest in Sanchez... that the real target was Orakpo, and they were doing what they could to get a shot at him... I may have been talkin' some crap...

Or you might be talking some now. Can you provide a link to one of these "draft Orakpo" posts? :^o
:twisted:
=; It starts here... http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31172&p=442577#p442577
Countertrey wrote:Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 pm

If it goes the way you project, I agree... it will be Oher... but, if Orakpo is there (as is very possible) it will be him (I'm assuming they lock up a starting RT by then). They may also go with Cushing, if he is there.

Then, in response to a post in Mark Sanchez to make a visitsaying "Sanchez will be off of the board long before the Redskins get a choice." I replied
Perhaps... but if he's still there... this "interest" is likely to foster a tremendous amount of interest from other teams in pursuing a trade up to 13 (or higher, which might preserve one of the other linemen that we are also interested in...)

It's just as likely that this is an attempt to stir such interest, and increase the likelihood of trading back in round 1, while picking up a 2nd round pick.

For the record, in that thread I was essentially accused of making stuff up... turned out, I had stuff pretty much nailed. It was clear that the Redskins were interested in either a LT or Orakpo... and that their maneuvering may well have influenced some teams to take a player or two earlier than they should have. I'm still convinced that they really wanted Orakpo all along.

OH! And, JSPB... :moon: That's right... CT, bringin' it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Rather than BPA I say draft the player who will help us the most. For example if the best player is a QB or RB we either trade back (1st option) or pick a player at a position we need.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:30 am

yupchagee wrote:Rather than BPA I say draft the player who will help us the most. For example if the best player is a QB or RB we either trade back (1st option) or pick a player at a position we need.

I have no problem with what you're saying. If we can trade back and still get a starter 20 spots later or whatever, win-win.

I guarantee QB or RB won't be the BPA at #34 though. So many QBs get inflated into the first round just because they're so valuable to those teams who don't have one. And RB is just the opposite right now, very undervalued. You might not see a RB drafted until the third round this year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 am

Countertrey wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:During the run-up to the 2009 draft, there were a number of players, including Mark Sanchez, whom the Redskins were very publicly showing interest in... with LOTS of talk about plans to trade up. It was all the chatter here on THN... and I warned folks that they had no real interest in Sanchez... that the real target was Orakpo, and they were doing what they could to get a shot at him... I may have been talkin' some crap...

Or you might be talking some now. Can you provide a link to one of these "draft Orakpo" posts? :^o
:twisted:
=; It starts here... http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31172&p=442577#p442577
Countertrey wrote:Postby Countertrey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 pm

If it goes the way you project, I agree... it will be Oher... but, if Orakpo is there (as is very possible) it will be him (I'm assuming they lock up a starting RT by then). They may also go with Cushing, if he is there.

Then, in response to a post in Mark Sanchez to make a visitsaying "Sanchez will be off of the board long before the Redskins get a choice." I replied
Perhaps... but if he's still there... this "interest" is likely to foster a tremendous amount of interest from other teams in pursuing a trade up to 13 (or higher, which might preserve one of the other linemen that we are also interested in...)

It's just as likely that this is an attempt to stir such interest, and increase the likelihood of trading back in round 1, while picking up a 2nd round pick.

For the record, in that thread I was essentially accused of making stuff up... turned out, I had stuff pretty much nailed. It was clear that the Redskins were interested in either a LT or Orakpo... and that their maneuvering may well have influenced some teams to take a player or two earlier than they should have. I'm still convinced that they really wanted Orakpo all along.

OH! And, JSPB... :moon: That's right... CT, bringin' it.

I didn't think you would make that up, but I did a search search.php?keywords=Orakpo&terms=all&author=Countertrey&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search and the oldest post that returned was from December 01, 2013. Wierd. :hmm:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:45 am

I had to really dig to get it... I suspect it relates to all that was involved in the emergency conversion from the old version, so it may just be "what it is"...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:28 pm

riggofan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:Rather than BPA I say draft the player who will help us the most. For example if the best player is a QB or RB we either trade back (1st option) or pick a player at a position we need.

I have no problem with what you're saying. If we can trade back and still get a starter 20 spots later or whatever, win-win.

I guarantee QB or RB won't be the BPA at #34 though. So many QBs get inflated into the first round just because they're so valuable to those teams who don't have one. And RB is just the opposite right now, very undervalued. You might not see a RB drafted until the third round this year.

NFL Network was talking about that a little the other day as well; saying the league is becoming so pass/undervaluing RBs.

Been hearing our name & the RB Archer (I think that's his name) a lot lately
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:28 pm

Neo wrote:NFL Network was talking about that a little the other day as well; saying the league is becoming so pass/undervaluing RBs.

Been hearing our name & the RB Archer (I think that's his name) a lot lately

Yeah lots of talk about Gruden maybe being interested in a pass catching RB. That sort of makes me wonder what's wrong with Helu? Its just chatter of course.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:20 am

And Alfred looked pretty good catching the ball at the Pro-Bowl.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football