RGIII looking "100 percent healthy"

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

RGIII looking "100 percent healthy"

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:48 pm

RGIII haters need to get ready. I have a feeling this young man is going to prove them wrong yet again.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -guru-says

Which version of Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III will show up this season?

Will it be the electric playmaker who stormed the NFL as a rookie in 2012? Or the 2013 version: The guy with the fouled-up mechanics and vulnerable knee not ready for primetime?

Griffin's quarterback guru has a good idea after six days of workouts with Griffin in March.

"He looked 100 percent healthy," Terry Shea told USA Today's Jim Corbett on Friday. "I didn't let up on him and, boy, he kept coming -- and he reminded me of the old Robert Griffin that I knew coming out of Baylor for those eight-10 weeks we worked together in 2012.

"He could have very easily lost it given the year he had. I put him through a gauntlet of drills. And Robert made all the throws, showing great skills. It sure appeared to me that he took that next step as a pocket passer."

Shea first worked with Griffin in advance of the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine and the run-up to the draft that year. He reconvened with RGIII last month in Arizona, working on Griffin's footwork and release point.

"For some reason, they just dropped the ball on his footwork fundamentals," Shea said, referring to former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. "I'm convinced. You get so caught up on schemes and decisions and progressions and they forget that a quarterback needs just as much attention on his footwork and fundamentals as well."

This is a far different offseason for Griffin, who has been able to focus on his game rather than rehabilitation from surgery. Shea is expecting better results, and there's reason to believe him.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Re: RGIII looking "100 percent healthy"

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 pm

That is what I got from Cooleys comments last year. He was talking about foot work and coming off of injury being a huge factor. The haters just interpreted his words to their ideals.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Robert Griffin will show that he can be a lot more effective when he is coached and prepared properly - we have not seen him play as well as he can

Scott & Jay will get more out of him and prepare him better than Kyle and Mike did - PLUS - Robert has learned a lot from all that has happened here
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016
we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby Neo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Been hearing a lot of credible buzzes about this. Not the typical over-hyped crap like last year. Instead its credible sources who know what good QB mechanics look like.

Can't help but feel the excitement.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm

To add some fuel to this fire:

Chris Cooley says RGIII looks like ‘another person’

A couple days back, Santana Moss appeared on a podcast with ESPN’s John Clayton, and the topic of Robert Griffin III’s health came up. Clayton asked for a status report.

“He looks more comfortable, because he don’t have to worry about that brace,” Moss said. “I think the brace was the big discomfort last year. You know, he’s a young guy with those fiery legs that want to do so much, and that brace probably gave him a little pinch in the behind, because he couldn’t do the things that he was normally accustomed to doing. You can already see, when we’re out there in conditioning and stuff, he’s running around, looking like the old Robert Griffin.”

Which reminded me that Chris Cooley recently hit a local field with Griffin, and had a similarly rave review. This was before Griffin was permitted to work out with his teammates at Redskins Park; Cooley instead took the QB to his own gym, Lifetime Fitness near Ashburn. The men took turns running routes and throwing passes to each other.

“It’s unbelievable,” Cooley reported. “He’s another person right now. I was like, ‘you’re running unbelievably well.’ It was silly to watch….When you watch him run, you’re like ‘You’re a freak. You’re seriously a freak.’ ”

Cooley spent much of last season speculating that the knee brace was, at least in part, holding Griffin back. Cooley compared it to his own situation coming out of the lockout in 2011, when a different set of knee issues led to swelling and fluid in his joint. A doctor recommended he wear a brace himself.

“I wore a brace for six months,” Cooley recalled. “Then I was like I’m not wearing this [nonsense]. I don’t care if it hurts my knee more. I’m not wearing this brace. It’s a pain in the [onions]. It felt like a 10-pound weight. There are four straps and you have to strap it tight to make it functional. It hurt my calf at the end of a week of wearing it….

“The last preseason game [in 2011], the starters had to do 10 over and backs. After three I was like ‘I’m done. I’m never wearing this thing again.’ Then it sat in my garage. It limits your mobility drastically. They claim it doesn’t, but it did for me, and I can see why he wouldn’t like it.”

Cooley hastened to add that the brace wouldn’t be the only difference between 2013 Griffin and the current model. He speculated that Griffin was reluctant to stick his foot in the ground and cut hard last season. He also said Griffin’s legs could not been in ideal shape for a season after not being able to run for much of last offseason.

“That said, he’s healthy and his knee is good to go now,” Cooley said. “I remember when he came into camp his rookie year, you’d watch him and you were like ‘You’re a freak show. You’re freakily athletic.’ And I definitely saw that again.”

First of all, the [nonsense] and [onions] quote is hilarious.

But the main course: “It’s unbelievable,” Cooley reported. “He’s another person right now. I was like, ‘you’re running unbelievably well.’ It was silly to watch….When you watch him run, you’re like ‘You’re a freak. You’re seriously a freak.’ ”

=P~ =P~ =P~
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:43 pm

Yeah I had no faith in the RGIII health reports last summer. You can go take a look at those old threads, and I was shocked that he was cleared to practice much less start that first game.

Definitely feeling differently about it going into this spring. Not only is RGIII a year away from the surgery, but he played last season without injuring himself (even if he didn't play especially well). I don't really have any doubt that he is fully healed. I don't have any doubt that he is motivated. Now, just want to see if he's ready to live up to all of that hype and potential!

I wouldn't bet against him.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:44 am

2014 The return of Backyard Bob!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:07 am

As my signature says, "he's that dude"

2014 NFC EAST CHAMPION WASHING. . .?!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:59 am

The offense will be deadly now that RG3 is healthy.
"CAN'T WAIT"
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

piggie

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 pm

With RGIII getting healthy and having a normal off season is huge but it will be interesting and fun to see how fast everyone gets on the same page. Maybe Reed should wear the yellow jersey.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:06 pm

Robert's health level was only part of the reason for our offensive woes ... we now have Scott as OC and Jay calling the offense on game day - BIG plus over Kyle

I think that everyone will benefit from 'starting' anew ... Robert will feel great and be able to fully utilize his considerable talents and leadership skills

Scott and Jay will have an offense devised that can execute anything & everything on game day at a very high level including letting Robert use his speed which was not possible with the brace and/or with the type of offensive play calling that Kyle ran here
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016
we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:24 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Robert's health level was only part of the reason for our offensive woes ... we now have Scott as OC and Jay calling the offense on game day - BIG plus over Kyle

I think that everyone will benefit from 'starting' anew ... Robert will feel great and be able to fully utilize his considerable talents and leadership skills

Scott and Jay will have an offense devised that can execute anything & everything on game day at a very high level including letting Robert use his speed which was not possible with the brace and/or with the type of offensive play calling that Kyle ran here

I don't think Kyle was all that bad. In fact I think he was pretty good. He had terrible people skills but that is another matter. I am excited about Gruden coaching to players strengths. That will be different. I can't wait to see all this play out. It might be mid season before the line gels if he replaces as many as I hope.

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:09 am

Kyle Shanahan has terrible people skills? On what basis do you assert that?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 am

Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Robert's health level was only part of the reason for our offensive woes ... we now have Scott as OC and Jay calling the offense on game day - BIG plus over Kyle

I don't think Kyle was all that bad. In fact I think he was pretty good. He had terrible people skills but that is another matter. I am excited about Gruden coaching to players strengths. That will be different. I can't wait to see all this play out. It might be mid season before the line gels if he replaces as many as I hope.

I think that's spot on, Kilmer72. He's clearly pretty highly regarded around the league.

Which isn't to say that SkinsJock might not be right, that the team might not benefit from Gruden's approach to the offense. I'm pretty excited that he seems to be looking to beef up the offensive line for example. The ZBS seemed to work great for Morris the past two years, but I'm not sure its the best fit for our QB. And if RGIII just wasn't buying what Kyle was selling on offense anymore then moving on is probably the right move.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:20 pm

OldSchool wrote:Kyle Shanahan has terrible people skills? On what basis do you assert that?

From multiple sources which have been rehashed to death. For example:

Conversations with several people within the organization have revealed a similar perception of Kyle Shanahan as someone who was empowered and enabled by his father, spending an abundance of time in his father's office, given a wide swath of power, and rubbing many people -- players, fellow coaches and members of football operations -- the wrong way.

As a former member of the organization put it: “Kyle bitches about everything, and then his father has to fix it. He bitches about the food in the cafeteria, he bitches about the field, he bitches about the equipment. He complains and then Mike takes care of it. Kyle is a big problem there. He is not well liked.”

Several members of the organization said Kyle Shanahan was a cause of internal strife, surrounding himself with young coaches with inferior experience, and allowing for no checks and balances of outside voices in the offensive coaching rooms.

Furthermore, Kyle Shanahan has long had a very strained relationship with Griffin, sources said, with one staff member saying Shanahan treats Griffin like, “a JV quarterback.”

“Kyle knows ball, but he is just so petty and he picks fights and holds grudges over small stuff,” the source said. “He's a mountain out of a molehill guy, and he's got entitlement syndrome. That's why we ended up hiring all of his close friends and buddies, so no one can challenge him. But it makes you worse in the long run, because there is no accountability. Ultimately, it's his father's fault for pacifying his son.”

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football