Josh LeRibeus

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Re: Josh LeRibeus

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:44 pm

SkinsJock wrote:let's put it a slightly different way - getting on an NFL roster is not an easy deal - there are over 200 players drafted and a number of un-drafted players added to the mix each year - a small percentage will find their way onto an NFL roster AND in their minds, most of these guys think they've made it when they get that first deal done
ONLY a few of those will work extremely hard to be in the best shape and make an effort to be a better player ...

for a kid to be on a roster and not make a huge effort to be in the best shape is disappointing but not surprising - they have a contract and most of them, until they have to get another one don't really do much more than is required of them

Josh was drafted in 2012 - if he showed up out of shape in 2013 it shows the coaches and the other players how motivated you are to be the best you can be

HOPEFULLY - somebody made it clear to Josh that he might not be playing long if he plays at the same level we've seen the past 2 seasons ... My 2 cents

Looked at another way: there are 120 teams in the FBS. Aprox. 20 scholarship players leave every year. That comes to 75 players per NFL team. This does not include smaller schools.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:51 pm

riggofan wrote:
Neo wrote:For example, if you eat 500 calories more than you burn in a day, and repeat that every day, you'll typically gain 2lbs a week. Same formula with loosing weight, except the aim is to be in a caloric deficit of 500 calories (losing 2lbs a week healthily).

So in theory, only going 500 calories over every day for about 4 months could gain you an extra 32lbs. Catches up to you fast if you're not eating "clean". Just seems to me LeRib has an issue with junk food.

True, but like Papdog wrote, you'd expect that a pro football player is working out like six days a week. Plus the guy is 24 years old. I don't know about you, but when I was 24, I could eat an entire large sicilian pizza for dinner every night and I was skinny as hell. Miss that metabolism!

Your point about the extra calories is right on. Just seems like if he was working out the way he is supposed to be, he has to be eating an incredible amount to be putting on weight like that.

Agreed brother. Seems like he was doing all the eating, but not the working out.

I don't get that...if I was an NFL player, there wouldn't be an offseason for me. I'd be trying to remake myself ea/ year.

I think my hopes will be in vain, but I'm still hoping he "gets with it" and stays with it.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:02 am

Neo wrote:Agreed brother. Seems like he was doing all the eating, but not the working out.

I don't get that...if I was an NFL player, there wouldn't be an offseason for me. I'd be trying to remake myself ea/ year.

I think my hopes will be in vain, but I'm still hoping he "gets with it" and stays with it.

I hear you, man. I think for a lot of us who sit at home and watch the game its hard to imagine being in that position and not doing everything possible to make the most of it. Its a challenge trying to get in the gym even for an hour each day. Wish I had all day to train as much as I wanted!

Give him some credit though. He absolutely needed to show the new coaching staff something if he wants to stick with this team. Its only the first step, but I was surprised and happy to hear these reports on the radio last week.

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 am

Give him credit? For what?

It's his job to be in shape and ready to play...he wasn't even close to ready to play last year.

It's like giving a white-collar guy credit for brushing his teeth in the am before he goes to work and sits in a meeting room with 10 others!

I'm happy he saw the light, but not giving him credit...sorry!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:29 pm

I for one am keeping my fingers crossed. When we first got him some were saying he had the temperament of Russ Grimm. We need nastiness on that line.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:55 pm

If there is a player on this squad who played for this franchise in 2012 and then showed up in 2013 not really in great shape to play with one of the most exciting QBs in the NFL - he should not still have a job here

what explanation can you give to explain why you would show up to begin a new season and not be in incredibly good shape - was he injured?

not saying that Josh was like that at all but a player like that is worthless
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins, he's a good QB

It was great to see Robert showing that he's becoming a much better QB and what a problem he can be for a DC

HAIL

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:05 pm

SkinsJock wrote:If there is a player on this squad who played for this franchise in 2012 and then showed up in 2013 not really in great shape to play with one of the most exciting QBs in the NFL - he should not still have a job here

what explanation can you give to explain why you would show up to begin a new season and not be in incredibly good shape - was he injured?

He was in Shanahans dog house because he showed up out of shape. If anyone has learned from Shanahan you know once in dog house always in dog house. Explanation.... Was it impossible for him to get in shape at some point in the season? How bout 50 pounds isn't the end of the world to shed? I know he wasn't in good enough shape but I can't believe he wasn't the whole season.

John Riggins took a whole year off once upon a time... If things were like you are saying we never would have won our first Superbowl. I konw he wasn't out of shape but I am saying if your heart isn't in it then it might be next year. You might give up but I never do unless it is useless.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:45 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:If there is a player on this squad who played for this franchise in 2012 and then showed up in 2013 not really in great shape to play with one of the most exciting QBs in the NFL - he should not still have a job here

He was in Shanahans dog house because he showed up out of shape. If anyone has learned from Shanahan you know once in dog house always in dog house. Explanation.... Was it impossible for him to get in shape at some point in the season? How bout 50 pounds isn't the end of the world to shed? I know he wasn't in good enough shape but I can't believe he wasn't the whole season.

John Riggins took a whole year off once upon a time... If things were like you are saying we never would have won our first Superbowl. I konw he wasn't out of shape but I am saying if your heart isn't in it then it might be next year. You might give up but I never do unless it is useless.

Good call man!! Look what the "dog house" did to Fred Davis' career!! He looked like the Fred of old in preseason, so the shanny "not in football shape" bit doesn't fly.. not sure what has even become of Davis, I thought he was going to fill Cooleys cleats with out a hitch... with more athleticism to boot!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Sorry to stray off topic.. here's the scoop on Sleepy for those like me who were in the dark:

2013 season

On February 26, 2013, Davis was officially cleared by medical personnel to play.[20] Set to become an unrestricted agent, he re-signed with the Redskins on March 29 to a one-year contract.[21] Before Davis could test the upcoming free agent market for the 2014 season, he was suspended indefinitely by the NFL for violating their substance-abuse policy.[22] Davis had previously served a four game suspension at the end of the 2011 season for the same violation. On February 21, 2014, authorities in northern Virginia said Davis had been charged with driving while intoxicated.[23] The news came one day after Davis had been suspended indefinitely.

Source= Wikipedia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Davis_(tight_end)
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 am

I don't know Josh and I don't know all the facts about his condition when he showed up for last season but if he showed up in bad shape or that he had not made a huge effort to be ready to play, then he's VERY lucky we were in such dire need on the O line - if this guy shows up like that this season, he will not be here

these guys have a lot of time to get ready to play and unless they are coming off an injury they better be ready or they should be let go

I don't know all the details but there is little doubt that having to play players play that are not in shape would be a huge reason the O line was so pathetic at times

I doubt that Jay Gruden (or Scott & Jim) will tolerate any of that this season
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins, he's a good QB

It was great to see Robert showing that he's becoming a much better QB and what a problem he can be for a DC

HAIL

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 am

Neo wrote:
PAPDOG67 wrote:Riggofan that is a good point. A lot of young people take a few years before they realize what is expected of them in the professional world. What shocks me is that these guys workout all the time (some harder than others obviously)....but even the "lazy" guys have to workout farily regularly, if not 6 days a week. In order for a guy to blow up in the offseason, they have to be eating a massive amount of calories.

Not always a massive caloric surplus though.

For example, if you eat 500 calories more than you burn in a day, and repeat that every day, you'll typically gain 2lbs a week. Same formula with loosing weight, except the aim is to be in a caloric deficit of 500 calories (losing 2lbs a week healthily).

So in theory, only going 500 calories over every day for about 4 months could gain you an extra 32lbs. Catches up to you fast if you're not eating "clean". Just seems to me LeRib has an issue with junk food.

Neo your math is off just slightly. A 500 calorie per day surplus would be 1 lb per week as 1lb = 3500 caolries.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:38 am

fredp45 wrote:Give him credit? For what?

It's his job to be in shape and ready to play...he wasn't even close to ready to play last year.

It's like giving a white-collar guy credit for brushing his teeth in the am before he goes to work and sits in a meeting room with 10 others!

I'm happy he saw the light, but not giving him credit...sorry!

Oooooh-kay. No credit for you LeRib!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Sorry to stray off topic.. here's the scoop on Sleepy for those like me who were in the dark:

2013 season

On February 26, 2013, Davis was officially cleared by medical personnel to play.[20] Set to become an unrestricted agent, he re-signed with the Redskins on March 29 to a one-year contract.[21] Before Davis could test the upcoming free agent market for the 2014 season, he was suspended indefinitely by the NFL for violating their substance-abuse policy.[22] Davis had previously served a four game suspension at the end of the 2011 season for the same violation. On February 21, 2014, authorities in northern Virginia said Davis had been charged with driving while intoxicated.[23] The news came one day after Davis had been suspended indefinitely.

Source= Wikipedia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Davis_(tight_end)

It would have been fun to see Reed and Sleepy together in some sets. I like Paulsen... I think you have to have a blocking TE a la Doc Walker out there on near every down. Hard to find room for Sleepy when he plays and gets caught. I'm worried about Reeds concussions. I wouldn't be upset if they take another TE in the draft.

Hog

Postby Neo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:
Neo wrote:
PAPDOG67 wrote:Riggofan that is a good point. A lot of young people take a few years before they realize what is expected of them in the professional world. What shocks me is that these guys workout all the time (some harder than others obviously)....but even the "lazy" guys have to workout farily regularly, if not 6 days a week. In order for a guy to blow up in the offseason, they have to be eating a massive amount of calories.

Not always a massive caloric surplus though.

For example, if you eat 500 calories more than you burn in a day, and repeat that every day, you'll typically gain 2lbs a week. Same formula with loosing weight, except the aim is to be in a caloric deficit of 500 calories (losing 2lbs a week healthily).

Neo your math is off just slightly. A 500 calorie per day surplus would be 1 lb per week as 1lb = 3500 caolries.

Thanks for the correction. That better explains this winter's bulking routine lol
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Redskins G/C Josh LeRibeus is fighting to make the roster as a reserve interior lineman.

A third-round pick in the 2012 draft, LeRibeus was once viewed as a future starter in Washington, but quickly fell out of favor after showing up to last season's camp more than 30 pounds overweight. With the coaching staff that drafted him gone and the new staff reportedly lukewarm, LeRibeus faces an uphill climb to make the roster.

Source: Washington Post Jul 7 - 12:03 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football