Offseason Plusses and Minuses

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Offseason Plusses and Minuses

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Scott and Jay will devise a scheme that better suits the players they have than Kyle did - we will also see improvement in the play from both the defense and special teams

these are just normal offseason hopes for a Redskins fan - we get our hopes up, then the season starts and we face the reality ...

I'm going to be patient - all I really need to see this season is confirmation that we have a franchise QB in Robert and that Jay Gruden and Jim Haslett are worth keeping

this FO is going to build up our depleted depth and that will take more than 1 offseason
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby Neo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Semi on-topic, but has anyone else noticed this offseason that since ol Freddy D is gone, the "anonymous source" leaks have stopped? I'm enjoying the relative quietness this offseason :)

Freddy will be alright though...very promising career as a rapper...he's bound to corner the market :lol:
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:43 am

Neo wrote:Semi on-topic, but has anyone else noticed this offseason that since ol Freddy D is gone, the "anonymous source" leaks have stopped? I'm enjoying the relative quietness this offseason :)

Freddy will be alright though...very promising career as a rapper...he's bound to corner the market :lol:

I'd say that's on topic, I would put being rid of Davis on the plusses. It's too bad, what a talent he is. And yet totally not worth it. Addition by subtraction.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:16 pm

I would say Shanahans being gone = leaks stopped. I don't think Fred had anything to do with that.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 am

Kilmer72 wrote:I would say Shanahans being gone = leaks stopped. I don't think Fred had anything to do with that.

There are other players who have left as well. I agree it's a bit of a leap to connect his leaving with leaks stopping. I'm just glad he's gone. I am with Joe Gibbs philosopy, we need character guys. Responsible for leaks or not, Freddie was not a character guy.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Postby yupchagee » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:30 pm

McGlynn I assume you're thinking for Chester? He does have a bit more size. Polumbus wasn't bad two years ago, but last year he was awful. It wasn't just him, I can see thinking you hope we did enough to address it, but to say the line isn't a "major area of concern" after last year? With all the draft picks we spent on RG3 and the money we spent on receivers, I would have liked to find the money in there for an upgrade at RT.

McGlynn may play C. I'm not saying that an upgrade at RT wouldn't be good, just that ILB & DB are the top priorities.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:46 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:I would say Shanahans being gone = leaks stopped. I don't think Fred had anything to do with that.

There are other players who have left as well. I agree it's a bit of a leap to connect his leaving with leaks stopping. I'm just glad he's gone. I am with Joe Gibbs philosopy, we need character guys. Responsible for leaks or not, Freddie was not a character guy.

I hear ya. I was looking at fingers pointed towards Fred. He could of and I can't say he didn't. I would say he didn't as far as I can recollect from previous management (Zorn). That doesn't mean it couldn't have happened but, going by what Mike Shanahan said last year by confirming what happened the previous year (cleaning out his office and ready to quit), I just assumed Davis wouldn't be at fault there. It could have been someone else I agree. Sleepy was stupid but I don't think he would intentionally capsize the boat.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:28 am

yupchagee wrote:
McGlynn I assume you're thinking for Chester? He does have a bit more size. Polumbus wasn't bad two years ago, but last year he was awful. It wasn't just him, I can see thinking you hope we did enough to address it, but to say the line isn't a "major area of concern" after last year? With all the draft picks we spent on RG3 and the money we spent on receivers, I would have liked to find the money in there for an upgrade at RT.

McGlynn may play C. I'm not saying that an upgrade at RT wouldn't be good, just that ILB & DB are the top priorities.

I'm not sure I get your thinking on McGlynn playing C. I realize he's a C/G, but that would mean we move him in for one of our best three linemen instead of one of our worst two. And Kory has been mentally preparing for the role of C. Would you sit one of our better lineman? Who would you play at RG?

Postby yupchagee » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:59 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

I'm not sure I get your thinking on McGlynn playing C. I realize he's a C/G, but that would mean we move him in for one of our best three linemen instead of one of our worst two. And Kory has been mentally preparing for the role of C. Would you sit one of our better lineman? Who would you play at RG?

I'm hoping that Hurt will be healthy & LeRib has grown up. At 284#, Licht is very light for a power scheme.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:50 am

Speaking of Freddy. I can remember a season ago I argued we should move on from Fred and stick with Paulsen. Looks like I was right again. LOL! But I also remember arguing that Haynesworth would be a probowler after leaving us. One time I think I was wrong. LOL!
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Speaking of Freddy. I can remember a season ago I argued we should move on from Fred and stick with Paulsen. Looks like I was right again. LOL! But I also remember arguing that Haynesworth would be a probowler after leaving us. One time I think I was wrong. LOL!

While they are both TE's, Paulsen is basically a blocker and Freddy is primarily a receiver, so I don't think that was actually a good idea. Reed is a far better replacement for Freddy. We didn't have that last year, or we didn't know we didn't have that. Keeping Freddie was dubious, and ex-post it turned out to be a mistake, but it's hard to see ex-ante they should have known that and terminated him given we didn't really have another quality pass catching TE. And they were smart enough to not make a long term commitment to him.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:29 am

yupchagee wrote:I'm hoping that Hurt will be healthy & LeRib has grown up. At 284#, Licht is very light for a power scheme.

Centers are often a bit lighter though just because of the reality of finding a guy that big who can reliably snap the ball accurately. While you have reasonable points, based on how horrible the line was last year and the incredible number of sacks and hits RG3 took, I still don't see how you're not more nervous than you are when you're relying on things like "hoping that Hurt will be healthy & LeRib has grown up." I hope so too, but I like more assurance than that and we spent such an insane amount on WRs who can't catch balls that don't get there. We'll see how the draft goes, hopefully that will alleviate a lot of the concern.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Speaking of Freddy. I can remember a season ago I argued we should move on from Fred and stick with Paulsen. Looks like I was right again. LOL!

While they are both TE's, Paulsen is basically a blocker and Freddy is primarily a receiver, so I don't think that was actually a good idea. Reed is a far better replacement for Freddy. We didn't have that last year, or we didn't know we didn't have that. Keeping Freddie was dubious, and ex-post it turned out to be a mistake, but it's hard to see ex-ante they should have known that and terminated him given we didn't really have another quality pass catching TE. And they were smart enough to not make a long term commitment to him.

let me add - it would NOT have been a good idea ...

Davis had shown glimpses that he might be a decent TE - he was given a chance and basically blew it

The FO made the right call and while it did not work out for Davis we still have Reed & Paulsen
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:53 am

I'm also concerned about the O line

based on what we saw it's difficult to imagine that they can add players who can pass block better AND develop the continuity needed in a short period

of all our issues - having a decent O line is going to take time to make better although any improvement will be huge compared to last season's pass protection effort

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu May 01, 2014 2:37 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Speaking of Freddy. I can remember a season ago I argued we should move on from Fred and stick with Paulsen. Looks like I was right again. LOL! But I also remember arguing that Haynesworth would be a probowler after leaving us. One time I think I was wrong. LOL!

My reasoning for Paulsen over Fred was simple. Paulsen has shown himself to be a very good blocker who can catch the ball. While he is not the fastest he certainly has size, can run a good route and catch the ball.

I feel like if we had given Paulsen more playing time. We would of protected our QB that much more. Helping out on the right side where our RT stinks. I am thinking we could of reduced some of the pressure on that side. Pluse Paulsen can run block as well.

Reed has certainly proven himself to be an asset and I am glad we have him. But I still feel like Paulsen can be a stud if given the chance. I think he can be similar to Pittsburgs TE. Luckily we are still strong as far as TEs go. But I am still confident if Paulsen was the starter. We would thrive in pass protection and running the ball on his side. But thats arguable since Paulsen probably wont start unless an injury happens.

This much I do know. Paulsen is the best pass/run blocking tight end we have. Which can be often be overlooked. I also feel like Paulsens pass catching is underestimated. Remember the Seattle playoff game? Paulsen caught that TD from RG3. I thought that was the start of something special. Ehh I just like Paulsen because he seems to do everything that I want from a tight end. Hes no Gronkowski but if he can start racking up the passing yards he could be.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football