What do you think of this Mock Draft?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piglet

What do you think of this Mock Draft?

Postby drocksthaparty » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:39 pm

The Redskins only have one pick in this two round mock draft, but I love the pick.

What do you think of Jordan Reed and this guy?

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/nfl-draft-d ... -2-rounds/

Hog

Re: What do you think of this Mock Draft?

Postby Hooligan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Many thought the last couple TE's we drafted were a bad idea at the time, considering who we had on the roster already, but this would be a serious waste of our top pick in the draft IMHO.

The one thing this team doesn't lack is weapons in the passing game, meanwhile other areas of the team are just barely getting by.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu May 01, 2014 1:05 am

Um.... no.
I too was scratching my head at the Reed pick, but with Cooley retiring I understood it. Some of the later RBs were also questionable but Mike's knack for finding late round gems made it understandable. Taking a TE in the second round would be a jump even if we were weak at TE and I'm sure the staff would agree that:
We have a blocking tight end in the lumberjack, and a stud catching te in Reed... if Niles Paul is needed he is adequate at both.
Noooooooooo way we waste the 34th pick on TE with all the depth we have including at wr.
If this pick isn't used on the oline then it needs to be db... only way I see that changing is if the bpa is neither in which case Bruce will wisely take a fair offer to trade up and stack some picks.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu May 01, 2014 10:33 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Um.... no.
I too was scratching my head at the Reed pick, but with Cooley retiring I understood it. Some of the later RBs were also questionable but Mike's knack for finding late round gems made it understandable. Taking a TE in the second round would be a jump even if we were weak at TE and I'm sure the staff would agree that:
We have a blocking tight end in the lumberjack, and a stud catching te in Reed... if Niles Paul is needed he is adequate at both.
Noooooooooo way we waste the 34th pick on TE with all the depth we have including at wr.
If this pick isn't used on the oline then it needs to be db... only way I see that changing is if the bpa is neither in which case Bruce will wisely take a fair offer to trade up and stack some picks.

Jordans chronic inability to stay healthy is an issue...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 01, 2014 11:08 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Jordans chronic inability to stay healthy is an issue...

I'd hardly call it chronic. He had a severe concussion that kept him out the last half of the season. It is definitely cause for concern, but I think we have to see how this season goes before you can say that.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Neo » Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am

Deadskins wrote:

I'd hardly call it chronic. He had a severe concussion that kept him out the last half of the season. It is definitely cause for concern, but I think we have to see how this season goes before you can say that.

Agreed. Still a concern though; I wouldn't mind seeing us draft a hidden gem in the later rounds. Not with our top pic though. Oline or DB for that.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 01, 2014 11:44 am

You guys have made some good points about our TE situation. I wouldn't call this a "bad" pick if it happened, especially if that guy is the best player on the board at 34. I just don't think he would be the BPA or that we would take a TE there.

Rich Tandler just posted this interesting mock draft. In this mock, three experts make three possible picks at each position. Just look at the guys they're saying *might* be available:

http://realredskins.com/2014/05/01/draf ... l-pick-34/
LB C. J. Mosley, Alabama—Tanier’s outside-the-box thinking here is displayed more in the fact that he has him on the board still. He’s probably a top-20 pick in many the eyes of many.

OT Morgan Moses, Virginia—This is Pompei’s “likely” pick. His logic is that after having invested so many picks in acquiring Robert Griffin III they should invest one in protecting him.

G David Yankey, Stanford—And Lande comes in with the “what they need” pick and it’s hard to argue that the Redskins could use a young stud who could possibly help man the interior of the line for the next decade or so.

We're taking a TE over any of those guys? That would be shocking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Jordans chronic inability to stay healthy is an issue...

There is one major concern regarding Jordan Reed and it has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with his durability. In college, Reed missed time with multiple injuries including a right-knee injury. In his final season for the Gators, Reed finally had an injury free season and played well enough to impress the Redskins' coaches.

Following his drafting, Reed was then sent to participate in OTAs, but missed the entire session due to what was called a knee/quad injury. Reed gave a little more insight into the issue when he told CSN Washington, "I had a (thigh) contusion in college and that caused my quad to shut down and stop working, which caused my kneecap to start moving around and banging into my bone." That's certainly not something you want to hear from your starting tight end.

I hope Morgan Moses from UVA is available when we pick.
Reed then recovered from that setback and was all set to go for training camp until he then suffered a mid-foot sprain. By the time he was able to return, Reed had already missed considerable practice time. Some didn't believe he would be able to play Week 1 due to that, but he then had five catches for 38 yards on against the Eagles.

Against the Lions in Week 3, Reed then went out with a quad contusion and suffered a hip-pointer against the Chicago Bears in Week 7. Against the Denver Broncos, Reed was sandwiched between two defenders and pulled from the game, but later returned.

With all the positives that come with Jordan Reed, the fact that he is injury-prone, and has quite a lengthy injury-history to prove that, is alarming. He is good enough to be the tight end of the future and the Redskins certainly expect him to be so. He is a definite upgrade from Fred Davis and having Reed's career cut short due to injury would be bad for all involved.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby yupchagee » Thu May 01, 2014 8:10 pm

I would take either Jimmie Ward or Deone Buccanon. Our safety situation scares me.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Thu May 01, 2014 9:09 pm

We should jump to take Moses if available. There are a few tempting non tackles at the end of the 1st/early 2nd like Van Noy, Demarcus Lawrence, Stephan Tuitt. We gotta go OT or OLB/DL though. If Morgan is gone and the expected tackles above him, that's when I'm definitely going after some of that 1st round quality D that will be falling to us. I don't like taking DB's early even though we could use some, unless they're named Sean Taylor :(

But the tackles drop off pretty quick right around our pick so it's almost imperative we go that route. Maybe my UT boys Tiny Richardson or Jujaun James makes it back around to us in the 3rd if we go OLB/DE in the 2nd. Tiny is a 1st round talent who played hurt all last year and did well inspite of injury. Tough, smart guy. I like the idea of TE at some point but not early. This is a weak TE class and those guys at the top of it are just guys, not special. The only athletic freak at the position this year is a major dumbass thug named Colt Lyerla. His tape is truly badass, but he's a selfish douchebag. I'd love to take a 4th - 6th round shot at him, but I'll bet he lands in Philly, N.E., or Cincy. I also like Joe Don from Dixie but very, very late.

I'll be watching Cleveland closely hoping they don't draft a QB with their 2 picks. That might inspire Kyle Shannahan to send us a 2nd or 3rd for Cousins. They'll probly grab Johnny F'ball though and let him run RG3's rookie offense.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 pm

yupchagee wrote:I would take either Jimmie Ward or Deone Buccanon. Our safety situation scares me.

I like Calvin Pryor a lot too. He flies around the field throwing his body. It's beautiful, but they've got the rules so screwed up now you can't really do that anymore. I wish we had signed T.J. Ward and been done with this need. I've watched a lot of him as he's on my IDP team. He's a thumper too. The league is aligned against quality thumpers though. :(

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 02, 2014 8:22 am

I know everybody is still worried about the safety spot, rightly so, but don't be disappointed if we don't get one with our second round pick. Its not likely Calvin Pryor is going to be there.

I noticed the Eagles GM was widely quoted yesterday saying: "In terms of the safety class, I don't think it's a good group overall." Seems to be the consensus.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri May 02, 2014 8:48 am

Deadskins wrote:

That one injury kept him out half of the seasons... That's serious. That isn't even taking into account all the other injuries detailed by Darthmonk. He's a baller but can't stay on the field.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri May 02, 2014 8:50 am

funbuncher wrote:We should jump to take Moses if available.

+1

Morgan Moses, 6-6/325

Offensive Tackle

Virginia

Strengths:
Excellent size
Strength
Effective run-blocker
Ability to sustain blocks
Physical
Arm length
Balance
More agility than one would think
Shows some nimble movement for a big blocker
Has some quickness to the second level
Well suited for a man-blocking scheme
Ability to stay on his feet
Has some mean streak
Strong hands
Upside

Weaknesses:
Not elite athlete
Lacks elite speed, quickness
Could stand to improve his conditioning
Should drop some extra weight
A bit of a catcher in pass protection
Can he handle NFL speed rushers?
Could be best as a right tackle
Could improve his knee bend, pad level
Lunges at times after speed rushers

Summary: Over recent years, Virginia has produced some quality offensive tackles. Eugene Monroe was a top-10 pick in 2009 while Oday Aboushi was drafted in the fifth round by the Jets last year. Moses should go much higher in the 2014 NFL Draft than were Aboushi was taken in 2013.

Moses was the starter at right tackle as a sophomore and junior on the other side from Aboushi. Moses was a good run-blocker who steadily improved his pass protection. Moses moved over to left tackle for his senior season with Aboushi in the NFL and played well. Moses had a number of good games to help his draft stock. At the Senior Bowl, he had a solid week overall. Moses could use some work on his body to drop some flab and improve his quickness/agility, but he did well in the one-on-ones in Mobile and showed his pass-protection potential.

Moses has good size and length. He also has the strength to push defenders at the point of attack and get some movement in the ground game. Virginia had success running behind Moses over his career.

In pass protection, Moses has continued room for improvement, but he should be able to be reliable if he's on the right side. Moses has good length, but could stand to improve his technique. Sometimes he can lunge and catch rushers, and that could give him some problems with speed rushers if he's at left tackle. Smaller speedy rushers also can have success cutting to the inside on Moses. He has upside to develop but needs to improve his pass blocking for the next level.

For the NFL, Moses would probably be best as a right tackle. If he continues to develop, he could move to the left side in time. Moses probably shouldn't begin his NFL career as a starting left tackle. Moses could play in a zone-blocking system, but would be better in a man scheme. He looks like a late first-round or second-round pick.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 02, 2014 10:41 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

That one injury kept him out half of the seasons... That's serious. That isn't even taking into account all the other injuries detailed by Darthmonk. He's a baller but can't stay on the field.

Which is why I said the highlighted. The other injuries didn't prevent him from starting other games for us. I didn't really know about the leg issues in college (I had heard about his concussions, which is why that one scares me), but those are irrelevant to this discussion. Until he misses time in multiple games (not practices) this season, I still wouldn't call it chronic.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football