Friday night draft discussion

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Friday night draft discussion

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri May 09, 2014 7:29 am

The Skins finally have their pick, with a few quality choices. Like most people, I'm pulling for Cyrus Kouandjio. With all the weapons we have on offense, we need a line that is up to the job. Give RGIII a little protection and there's no telling what we can do.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Re: Friday night draft discussion

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 am

I want either Moses or Bitonio if we go O line, or Nix or Tuitt if we decide to go Defense. Kouandijio's knee worries me.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Fri May 09, 2014 8:18 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:I want either Moses or Bitonio if we go O line, or Nix or Tuitt if we decide to go Defense. Kouandijio's knee worries me.

I believe we need the RT more but I really really like Stephon Tuitt from Notre Dame at this spot. Kouandijio probably will drop to the 3rd rd. I say we take Tuitt with that pick and we are likely to still get a quality RT in the 3rd or we can take Tuitt and try to trade our 3rd to move up into the 2nd and grab one of the Olineman.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 am

Its going to be tough to decide. There a lot of really good players available to us with that pick. I agree that Tuitt and Kouandijio are probably high on the list, wouldn't be surprised if the pick was Kyle Van Noy either.

I'm with Irn Bru that I kind of hope the pick is o-line. I know we REALLY need some play makers on defense. But I feel like we're much closer to being really good offense right now. So why not just go all in, take care of RGIII and put together an offense that can score 30+ points per game. :)

Honestly with all of these options available, I'd probably be happiest to see the team trade down just a little bit and get another pick.

Some of you wrote that you thought Kouandijio would slide to the third round. Do you really think so? I'd be really surprised about that.

Allen Robinson, WR from PSU is still on the board too btw. :)

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri May 09, 2014 9:24 am

Irn-Bru wrote:The Skins finally have their pick, with a few quality choices. Like most people, I'm pulling for Cyrus Kouandjio. With all the weapons we have on offense, we need a line that is up to the job. Give RGIII a little protection and there's no telling what we can do.

I'd pick Moses. I like that he is purported to have better foot speed, which would aid in pass protection. Both are supposed to be strong in run blocking.

I'd be perfectly happy with Kouandjio. I"m concerned about his knee personally, but I know the doctors are looking at him closely, so if we pick him I assume we did the due diligence.

I like other players on the board, but we really have to go OT or secondary as long as they are not a stretch, and they are not a stretch.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby rick301 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 am

We have options and many needs. I too feel the O line needs to be addressed first. Trent worries me a bit - and his position of protecting LG3's blind side is so vital. The wear and tear over the years seems to be getting to him. I'd like us to get a quality LT to back him up that can also cover other O line positions.

The point I want to make is that I feel more confident in the leadership of the organization right now, and trust that they will make the best decision - for the best player (tangibles and intangibles) that will fit into our scheme. The right people in the right places, being allowed to do their jobs without interference. The Shanny regime was a step forward from where it has been. Now I think organization is much much closer to being fully functional and effective. The test will come when we see how many of the 2014 draftees and free agent pick-ups make the team roster, and how far we go into post season.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri May 09, 2014 10:14 am

rick301 wrote:The test will come when we see how many of the 2014 draftees and free agent pick-ups make the team roster

That's probably about a 90% certainty, with the 10% coming from the lower end FA pickups (mostly undrafted rookies). I'd expect all the draft picks to be on the roster.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri May 09, 2014 10:46 am

I was surprised by how many DBs went last night. (Admittedly, I have read hardly any material leading up to the draft, but what little I had read suggested that the safety class wasn't as packed with talent as other areas.) Though we obviously could use additional help there, I liked that other teams kept going to the same well, leaving a good number of players at other positions we can consider. The BPA just might line up with one of our needs.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:24 am

IB - That's what I've been thinking this morning. Unless we get really good value for a trade out, we just might draft the top guy on our board as long as he's not a WR, TE or QB. If you think about it, we do have that need and in all likelihood it will be an upgrade. Not to mention most analyst consider this to be a 40 player, 1st round grade draft so with the pick, we're basically getting 1st round talent in the 2nd round. I won't be upset unless they take a WR, TE or QB.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Morgan Moses can play both LT and RT, can't he? That's definitely a plus.

The BPA is the BPA. I can't stand reading this stuff like we can't take the BPA at such and such position. If Calvin Johnson slid to #34, we're passing on him because we already have Jackson and Garcon? This is how you miss out on great players.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri May 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I was surprised by how many DBs went last night. (Admittedly, I have read hardly any material leading up to the draft, but what little I had read suggested that the safety class wasn't as packed with talent as other areas.) Though we obviously could use additional help there, I liked that other teams kept going to the same well, leaving a good number of players at other positions we can consider. The BPA just might line up with one of our needs.

Yes, I was thinking secondary was the most likely pick before the draft began, but there was such a run on players there that now OT seems like the stocked position, and it's a major position of need for us.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri May 09, 2014 2:08 pm

riggofan wrote:Morgan Moses can play both LT and RT, can't he? That's definitely a plus.

Yes, but he's a lot more likely to be successful at RT.

riggofan wrote:The BPA is the BPA. I can't stand reading this stuff like we can't take the BPA at such and such position. If Calvin Johnson slid to #34, we're passing on him because we already have Jackson and Garcon? This is how you miss out on great players.

You killed a valid point by going to hyperbole. There is no Calvin Johnson or anyone close to it we'd be passing on.

Also, OT is a position both of need and of available talent, we're not advocating just drafting for position. Some of the guys available seem like clear upgrades at RT. It's not just which player we pick, it's protecting RG3 and the huge investment we made in weapons. If Polumbus plays like 2 years ago, we are probably OK. If it's like last year, we're screwed. An RT could have a lot more impact on the team than a DL or another position.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Yes, but he's a lot more likely to be successful at RT.

Cool, yeah I heard him on the radio the other day though and he mentioned that he had experience playing both. That's great!

KazooSkinsFan wrote:You killed a valid point by going to hyperbole. There is no Calvin Johnson or anyone close to it we'd be passing on.

Yeah I know that's hyperbole, but dial it back and the point is still the same. Its a mistake to pass up on the best player because of some perceived need. If they have Stephon Tuitt scouted and rated as the best, most impactful player available at #34, then that's who we should pick.

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Also, OT is a position both of need and of available talent, we're not advocating just drafting for position. Some of the guys available seem like clear upgrades at RT. It's not just which player we pick, it's protecting RG3 and the huge investment we made in weapons. If Polumbus plays like 2 years ago, we are probably OK. If it's like last year, we're screwed. An RT could have a lot more impact on the team than a DL or another position.

I'm not debating that at all. I would be thrilled to get an OT and agree with your reasoning. I just noticed somebody wrote above that "we should draft the best player available as long as its not a QB/WR/TE". That stuff kills me.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:41 pm

That logic of drafting the BPA is a flawed one. If the BPA on our board was a punter should we draft him in round two?? No...or how about a QB??? If Bridgewater was highest on our board, and was there at 34 should we have drafted him to hold a clipboard for his entire career with us?? Us signing DJax allows us to use a high pick on a WR for a year or two. There are more pressing needs right now. While there are a few nice WR left on the board, I don't see any of them starting day one for us with what we currently have on the roster. An offensive or defensive lineman, however, is a different story. I can see a number of them possibly coming in and making an immediate impact.....and IMHO drafting a guy who has a more immediate impact is a little more important than taking the BPA.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri May 09, 2014 4:04 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:That logic of drafting the BPA is a flawed one. If the BPA on our board was a punter should we draft him in round two?? No...or how about a QB??? If Bridgewater was highest on our board, and was there at 34 should we have drafted him to hold a clipboard for his entire career with us?? Us signing DJax allows us to use a high pick on a WR for a year or two. There are more pressing needs right now. While there are a few nice WR left on the board, I don't see any of them starting day one for us with what we currently have on the roster. An offensive or defensive lineman, however, is a different story. I can see a number of them possibly coming in and making an immediate impact.....and IMHO drafting a guy who has a more immediate impact is a little more important than taking the BPA.

How are you measuring "immediate impact" though? You could argue that Baccari Rambo had an "immediate impact" because he started in week one. That doesn't mean he is a guy that made our team better or is a guy that we can build around. Judging these draft picks on whether or not they start week 1 is stupid.

And yes, you would draft a punter if he were the BPA in round two. I can't imagine how a punter would ever be the BPA, but I guess if you found a punter who could kick the length of the field and stick a ball out of bounds at the 2 yard line on 99% of his kicks, why wouldn't you want that guy on your team? He would definitely be worth a second round pick.

Honestly man I think we're probably in agreement on the BPA stuff. If the board today has "a few nice WRs" and "a number of offensive or defensive linemen who could possibly make an immediate impact", I would think that those linemen are probably rated higher by the coaches and scouts, wouldn't you?

One final thought. Imagine that yesterday all of these teams made a run on QBs and DBs or whatever, and somehow you see Sammy Watkins or ODell Beckham available at #34. Highest rated players on the board. You would still take the fourth or fifth rated OT over him because you want to upgrade Tyler Polumbus? That's insane.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football