Saturday Draft Selections

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^^^^^^

Re: Saturday Draft Selections

Postby frankcal20 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:09 pm

Per USA Today, our UDFA signings so far are:

Washington Redskins

Quandon Christian, LB Clemson

Lee Doss, WR Southern

Cody Hoffman, WR BYU

Tommy Rees, QB Notre Dame

J.R. Carr, LS Tennessee

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 21m

Arkansas DT Robert Thomas signed with the Washington Redskins, according to a source.

6'1 - 327 lbs

Overview

The Oklahoma prep began his college career at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College in 2010. Played in 11 games and recorded 51 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and five sacks with two passes batted and one forced fumble. Transferred to Arkansas in '11 and appeared in 12 games (five starts) that fall, tallying 23-2.5-1. Missed one game with a leg injury. In '12, he saw action in all 12 games (two starts) and had 18-5-2.5. Started the first seven games of '13, managing 31-6-3.5 suffering a season-ending broken left leg against South Carolina. Had surgery in October, but had not recovered in time for the NFL Scouting Combine. Team captain.
Analysis
Strengths
Has good body mass. Can keep blockers occupied, fight the double team and control gaps. Plays hard and competes. Is a respected team leader.
Weaknesses
Round-bodied. Struggles to play off or split the double team. Limited short-area range and closing burst. Gets stuck in place and struggles to disengage blocks. Lacks power to walk back blockers or generate a push.
Draft Projection
Priority free agent
Bottom Line
A heavy-bodied, short-range, effort player, Thomas did not finish the season after breaking a bone in his leg. Can fend for a role as a rotational wave backup in the pros. Practice-squad candidate.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:21 pm

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1h

Fresno State CB L.J. Jones to the Washington Redskins, according to a source

Hog

Postby TimSkin » Sun May 11, 2014 7:17 am

It looks like Marcus Roberson CB from Florida is still out there among the UDFA. He was predicted to be a 2-3 rounder but a poor combine(4.69 40 along with some poor drills) and durability issues dropped him out of the draft. He has been arrested but it was an alcohol arrest(not DUI) but nothing major. He's consistently gone up against receivers that have been drafted highly over the past few years and wins(but his health is a concern) He can also return punts. I would love for us to take a shot on him if we could get him here.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... s-roberson

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2046 ... -breakdown
HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 am

Often times, high priority UDFAs sometimes take their time making a selection. Let things cool off. They usually only get say $5000 to $20,000 signing bonus so he could just be (agent) negotiating with several teams to see who will pay the most but more importantly, provide the best opportunity. For UDFA's, the goal is making the PS for this team or someone elses. If you're lucky, you can crack the final 53 but honestly, that rarely happens.

Postby yupchagee » Sun May 11, 2014 9:16 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Hmmm a Kicker? Arr we not sold on Cobra Kia due to his KO abilities?

Still leaves a hole at Punter tho...
Was that our last pick?

We do have 2 punters on roster. Robert Malone & Blake Clingan.

Who??!

Haha seriously tho, good lookin out! I figured we had someone somewhere but obviously lost our starter in Rocca

True, but ANY punter we sign will be the same thing.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby yupchagee » Sun May 11, 2014 10:02 am

From Yahoo:

Hampton S Justin Blake; Southern WR Lee Doss; BYU WR Cody Hoffman; Northwestern WR Rashad Lawrence; USC RB Silas Redd; Notre Dame QB Tommy Rees; Arkansas DT Robert Thomas; Fresno State CB L.J. Jones

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -nfl-teams
Skins fan since '55

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Silas Redd was a starter at Penn State when the whole scandal went down. When players were given an opportunity to leave Penn State, he went to USC where he had an OK year. USC was a mess last year due to 3 coaching changes and a rash of injuries. Seemed to impact every player drafted this year for them.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun May 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Sorry for my ignorance, but of all these UDFA signings, are any of note? Or are we mainly signing camp fodder?

Hoping someone on here has done their college football homework better than me :)
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 pm

Neo wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but of all these UDFA signings, are any of note? Or are we mainly signing camp fodder?

Hoping someone on here has done their college football homework better than me :)

Cody Hoffman is a big guy. May need to work on his routes a bit but you can't teach size. Might be able to get on the roster and develop over the summer. Cody Doss I believe is a speedster who would primarily play slot. If I remember, he played at a small school and may have played in the Senior Bowl or the Shrine Bowl. I can't be certain.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun May 11, 2014 9:13 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
Neo wrote:Sorry for my ignorance, but of all these UDFA signings, are any of note? Or are we mainly signing camp fodder?

Cody Hoffman is a big guy. May need to work on his routes a bit but you can't teach size. Might be able to get on the roster and develop over the summer. Cody Doss I believe is a speedster who would primarily play slot. If I remember, he played at a small school and may have played in the Senior Bowl or the Shrine Bowl. I can't be certain.

Awesome, thanks man!
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:43 pm

Skins sign UDFA Michael Cole - OLB - Maine

Height: 6-1.5
Weight: 243
40: 4.73
Year: 5Sr
Michael Cole
School: Maine
Position: OLB
Positive: Forceful college defensive end who projects to linebacker at the next level. Fires off the snap with a quick first step, plays with good pad level and works his hands to protect himself. Attacks opponents, plays with a nasty attitude, and gives great effort. Defeats blocks, tough to stop, and productive on special teams.
Negative: Does not show great speed in backside pursuit despite his 40 time. Lacks bulk for defensive end and handled by a single blocker. Has struggled with injuries the past two years.
Analysis: Cole moves towards the draft as an unknown but at the top of his game he's a legitimate 3-4 outside linebacker. He possesses the instincts and intensity to play at the next level but must stay healthy in order to make a roster.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon May 12, 2014 7:34 am

Alright fellas,

Got this on WR Cody Hoffman:

WR: Cody Hoffman, BYU
The buzz: He has excellent size (6-4, 223) and was an ultra-productive four-year starter for the Cougars, finishing his career with school records in receptions (260), receiving yards (3,612) and receiving TDs (33). He burned Wisconsin's secondary to the tune of seven catches for 113 yards and two TDs in 2013. His dad, Derrick Ramsey, was an NFL tight end after playing quarterback at Kentucky. But despite all that production, he lacks speed, physicality and athleticism. He especially has trouble getting off press-man coverage, and his route-running must become more precise.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Postby yupchagee » Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 pm

According to the Washington Times, we signed:

Silas Redd, have signed contracts with the Washington Redskins and will be in attendance this weekend for the team’s rookie minicamp.

In addition to Redd, the Redskins also signed four wide receivers — BYU’s Cody Hoffman, Southern’s Lee Doss, Indiana’s Kofi Hughes and Northwestern’s Rashad Lawrence — as well as UTEP tight end Kevin Perry, North Dakota State cornerback Bryan Shepherd and two nose tackles, Arkansas’ Robert Thomas and Tulane’s Chris Davenport.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... z31jg9ihKj
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... medium=RSS
Skins fan since '55

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football