Saturday Draft Selections

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Saturday Draft Selections

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 3:08 pm

"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Lache Seastrunk (RB) Baylor:

Overview

First name is pronounced "Lake." Ranked as a Top 5 overall prospect as a Texas prep after rushing for 4,217 yards and scoring 52 total touchdowns. Was also an accomplished track athlete, competing in the 100 meters (personal best 10.33 seconds) and the long jump (21-8). Began his career at Oregon in 2010, where he traveled but did not play and redshirted. It was later discovered that his advisor, Willie Lyles, accepted a $25,000 payment from Oregon after he signed his letter of intent. Oregon was placed on three years probation and lost some scholarships as a result of the NCAA investigation. Decided to transfer because he thought "something was about to go down" at Oregon and because of his grandparents' bad health ended up at Baylor. Had to sit out the '11 season due to NCAA transfer rules and lost a year of eligibility. Played in a game for the first time in three years in '12 and was named the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year. Carried the ball 131 times for 1,012 yards (7.7-yard average) and seven touchdowns in 13 games (six starts) after starting slowly -- had only 181 yards after seven contests but amassed 831 yards in his final six contests. Grabbed nine passes for 107 yards (11.9) and one touchdown. Led the Big 12 with 107.0 yards per game in '13 after recording 158-1,177-11 (7.4) on the ground in 11 games (eight starts). Suffered a groin injury against Oklahoma and missed the next two games (Texas Tech, Oklahoma State). Is the first player in Baylor history to top 1,000 yards rushing in multiple seasons. Five of his 19 touchdowns came on plays of longer than 68 yards.
Analysis
Strengths
Quick-footed and nifty with very good competitive speed to pull away in the open field. Deceptively fast. Keeps his feet churning on contact and can elude the first tackler and power through arm tackles. Runs low to the ground with good lower-body strength. Weaves through traffic and has a knack for hitting cutback lanes. Very good run balance to stop and start. Had the best vertical jump (41 1/2 inches) and broad jump (11-2) of any back at the combine.
Weaknesses
Does not run big or keep his shoulders squared to the line. Will press and try to do too much -- can improve patience and do a better job of letting his blocks develop. Very limited career receiving production. Played in an offense that featured big running lanes and helped inflate his production. Can be tracked down from behind. Beats to the tune of his own drum and can be susceptible to hanger-ons.
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
Bottom Line
Good-sized, productive, zone runner with enough physical traits to warrant consideration as a complementary back. Benefited from an offense featuring a lot of fly sweeps and lateral runs that have not translated well to the NFL game. Overall character will require closer evaluation and can determime draft status.

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:10 pm

I really hope this guy (if he even makes the squad) isn't a total headcase.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Mike Mayock said he's similar to Gio Bernard...I'll take it!!!!

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 3:13 pm

My daughter goes to Baylor. Flat steal in the 6th round. Have watched him alot over the last 2 years. twice in person. Reminds me of Barry Sanders. Very shifty. Breakaway speed. Great pick-up. He should have went higher.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm guessing he'll replace Helu when his contract is up. Limited receiving targets though; seems like a shifty runner.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:My daughter goes to Baylor. Flat steal in the 6th round. Have watched him alot over the last 2 years. twice in person. Reminds me of Barry Sanders. Very shifty. Breakaway speed. Great pick-up. He should have went higher.

How about his hands? There's mention of his receiving targets, but have you noticed if he seemed natural in his catching out of the backfield?

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Baylor didn't throw alot out of the backfield. So not known for his hands. Elusive in the open field though so if he has the natural ability that Baylor didn't use he'll be dangerous.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Sat May 10, 2014 3:17 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Mike Mayock said he's similar to Gio Bernard...I'll take it!!!!

Jimbo Fisher's reaction when Charles Davis said Baylor RB's only caught five passes last year was funny. "Oof!" Can't imagine that happening at Fl St. :lol:

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Yeah. Not much of a body of evidence to choose from there. More of a change of pace back to Alfred. Very different styles.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:Baylor didn't throw alot out of the backfield. So not known for his hands. Elusive in the open field though so if he has the natural ability that Baylor didn't use he'll be dangerous.

Awesome thanks for the insight! Excited to see this guy in pre-season

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 3:29 pm

No prob. Any guy who averaged 9.1yds per carry last season can't hurt. :)

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 3:40 pm

I think there's going to be a lot of quality UDFAs. Can't help but wonder if our guys are just drafting those who are likely to get pulled elsewhere.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks for the vids NEO!!!

The RB Sounds like a good pick up to me!!! Especially if he played with RGiii at all, they can be workout buddy's and push each other.. either way they have the Baylor background in common, so they will have some rapport out the gates. Also sounds like he excels in areas Alf does not so it'll be a great compliment for them to "ham and egg" it..

I'm thinking we go TE and special teamers are our next picks
Any punters go yet?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 4:14 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Thanks for the vids NEO!!!

The RB Sounds like a good pick up to me!!! Especially if he played with RGiii at all, they can be workout buddy's and push each other.. either way they have the Baylor background in common, so they will have some rapport out the gates. Also sounds like he excels in areas Alf does not so it'll be a great compliment for them to "ham and egg" it..

I'm thinking we go TE and special teamers are our next picks
Any punters go yet?

Anytime brother, glad to help!

There was one punter who went, but not the guy I've been talking about (Van Der Kamp). Seems like they're making the offense air tight, so I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't go TE in the 7th.

I was expecting us to go almost all defense this draft w/ exception of one lineman.

That RB looks pretty sick in his highlights. He seems to change his speed to throw off defenders. I'm trying to find out if he's had any return experience. Again, he's a really shifty runner.

I'll keep posting highlights when the picks come in.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football