Saturday Draft Selections

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Saturday Draft Selections

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 4:33 pm

7th round pick - Ted Bolser TE - Indiana 6' 5" 257lbs - hands like Jordan Reed :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf0IsHGuiaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsUG8SU3Ac

How fitting, he wears #83, if I recall, that # became available a few weeks ago :lol:

Overview

John Mackey Award semifinalist in 2013. Set IU TE career records with 117 receptions, 1,337 yards, 15 TDs. 2013: Honorable mention All-Big Ten. Back-to-back 2-plus TD games vs. Indiana State, Navy. 2012: Started all 12 games. Finished fourth on the team with 41 receptions. 2011: Played all 12 games, starting 6. Had 54 yds, 1 TD vs. Penn State. 2010: Played all 12 games, starting 7. Set school records in receptions, yards and TD for freshman TE. 2009: Redshirted. High School: No. 41 TE in nation (Rivals). 63 receptions, 845 yards, 11 TDs as senior in Ohio.
Analysis
Strengths
Good size and enough strength to fend off the jam. Catches outside his frame and adjusts to the ball. Has a wide catching radius and presents a big target.
Weaknesses
Has very small hands and short arms. Lumbering mover. One-speed route runner with minimal burst and acceleration to separate. Much of his production is schemed -- creates little on his own. Can be phased by traffic (hears footsteps) -- hands are suspect. Struggles sustaining blocks (falls off and is controlled too easily). Tends to play tall and upright. Bench-pressed 225 pounds only 19 times at his pro day.
Draft Projection
Priority free agent
Bottom Line
Could battle for a roster spot as a short-area receiving target. Aligns in the backfield, in the slot and on the line, yet offers little as a blocker.
Last edited by Neo on Sat May 10, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 4:56 pm

7th round pick (2) - Zach Hocker - Kicker - Arkansas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EghKL4WFOvE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyaUUreEcRQ

Overview

Led team with 104 points in 2010, connecting on 16 of 19 field-goal attempts with a long of 51 and all 56 extra-point tries. Broke the school record for points by a kicker in 2011 with 118 after making 21 of 27 FGs with a long of 50 and 55 of 57 PATs. Also kicked off 93 times for a 67.8-yard average with 40 touchbacks. In 2012, made 11 of 18 FGs with a long of 46 and all 32 PATs, and kicked off 58 times for a 64.7-yard average with 39 touchbacks. In 2013, hit on 13 of 15 FGs with a career long of 54 and all 28 PATs, and kicked off 50 times for a 63.2-yard average with 34 touchbacks. Also punted seven times for a 45.7-yard average with a long of 77 and one inside the 20-yard line. Led the Razorbacks in scoring each season and holds school records for points by a kicker (354), FG percentage (77.2), PATs made (171), PATs attempted (173) and field goals (61).
Analysis
Strengths
Good leg speed. Consistently converted beyond 50 (3-4 as a senior) and has enough velocity to hang the ball on kickoffs. Well-grounded and humble.
Weaknesses
Thinly built and undersized. Does not possess a powerful leg. The ball does not explode off his foot (rise). Struggled to handle pressure early in his career.
Draft Projection
Undrafted free agent
Bottom Line
Soccer-style kicker whose leg strength and accuracy seemed to be weakening heading into his senior season, with diminished accuracy and range. Rebounded to make his senior season his best. Could warrant consideration in a camp.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Hmmm a Kicker? Arr we not sold on Cobra Kia due to his KO abilities?

Still leaves a hole at Punter tho...
Was that our last pick?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:02 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Hmmm a Kicker? Arr we not sold on Cobra Kia due to his KO abilities?

Still leaves a hole at Punter tho...
Was that our last pick?

It was our last pick, but I think we're about to see a feeding frenzy with all the UDFAs. I'm thinking this guy will be our KO man, & Kia will handle FGs.

I see us picking up a UDFA punter, and a ILB

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:04 pm

That kicker pick is a mystery to me. Questionable size and leg strength? Dude would have been available as a free agent. The extra 7th was a waste. Good players like Skov and Ahmad Dixon on the board that could have helped.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:That kicker pick is a mystery to me. Questionable size and leg strength? Dude would have been available as a free agent. The extra 7th was a waste. Good players like Skov and Ahmad Dixon on the board that could have helped.

Was he the bpa at THAT position tho?

And Neo- You think we use two roster spots for Kickers?? I kinda hope not/ doubt it
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:09 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:That kicker pick is a mystery to me. Questionable size and leg strength? Dude would have been available as a free agent. The extra 7th was a waste. Good players like Skov and Ahmad Dixon on the board that could have helped.

Seems to be some confusing info about this guy. Seems that "going into" his senior year, he had weakened range/accuracy, but "rebounded" in that senior year.

Doesn't say if he can punt so I'm assuming he can't.

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:14 pm

No. Highest I saw him anywhere was 6th. Seemed like he had a pretty average year last year as well. I'm puzzled on this one.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 5:15 pm

Fwiw: Waiting for people to go undrafted is a risk too... Another team can come in and snag them before us Ya know?

I know drafting A Kicker isn't to exciting but with the last pick of the draft it's not a big investment by any means.. If he's a guy we like u pull the trigger. Low risk using the second 7th and high reward if he makes the final roster. I'm not going to pretend I know all these players still remaining in the draft better thEn I do, but do u honestly think there is someone who is a sure thing to make the team over the kicker? Its my feeling that idk that were the case that player(s) would have been drafted sooner or by another team right?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:No. Highest I saw him anywhere was 6th. Seemed like he had a pretty average year last year as well. I'm puzzled on this one.

If he was projected as high as sixth then we got him with our second 7th I'd say we did pretty good, wouldn't you?

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Sat May 10, 2014 5:19 pm

He did punt some in his senior year. "Also punted seven times for a 45.7-yard average with a long of 77 and one inside the 20-yard line." Maybe they are thinking punter.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:19 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:

Was he the bpa at THAT position tho?

And Neo- You think we use two roster spots for Kickers?? I kinda hope not/ doubt it

In all honesty, I doubt it (about keeping two spots for kickers).

Kai had that pull (think it was a pull at least) last year. It did seem to throw him off a little. Makes me wonder if he's been struggling a little. Certainly hope not, because Kai was close to flawless in 2012.

Only knock against Kai is of course his kick off strength.

So I don't know. Seems they would need a real reason to do this. Just too many other positions they could have gone to with that pick.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Mississippi Hog wrote:He did punt some in his senior year. "Also punted seven times for a 45.7-yard average with a long of 77 and one inside the 20-yard line." Maybe they are thinking punter.

Ah good catch. That's what I get for speed reading his profile.

I'm thinking he's a camp punter who could make the roster. My guess is that they'll bring in another punter to compete with him.

Thanks for catching that!

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Sure. If we had no kicker already. But since Kai has been the first consistent kicker we've had in years I'm perplexed that they think an average college kicker can come in and outperform him. I get the kick-off thing, but that doesn't appear to be his huge strength, kicking it out of the end zone. Hoping that the comment about him punting some has some bearing to explain it. I just thought that if you take a chance on someone with the last pick, try it in a position of need since there are still good names on the board. I did not see kicker as a position of need.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:Sure. If we had no kicker already. But since Kai has been the first consistent kicker we've had in years I'm perplexed that they think an average college kicker can come in and outperform him. I get the kick-off thing, but that doesn't appear to be his huge strength, kicking it out of the end zone. Hoping that the comment about him punting some has some bearing to explain it. I just thought that if you take a chance on someone with the last pick, try it in a position of need since there are still good names on the board. I did not see kicker as a position of need.

Only logical thing I can think of is they saw a kicker who could punt.

Perhaps they're thinking he'll be better with KOs than Kai, and our answer for the punter vacancy.

I would rather that we drafted a true punter, but I guess we'll see how it pans out soon enough.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football