Saturday Draft Selections

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine

Re: Saturday Draft Selections

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:44 pm

Agreed. These guys are pro's at evaluation so there must be something that is not visible to us watching on the periphery.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:Agreed. These guys are pro's at evaluation so there must be something that is not visible to us watching on the periphery.

At least we hope right? :lol:
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 5:57 pm

Neo wrote:
Colorado Skin Fan wrote:Sure. If we had no kicker already. But since Kai has been the first consistent kicker we've had in years I'm perplexed that they think an average college kicker can come in and outperform him. I get the kick-off thing, but that doesn't appear to be his huge strength, kicking it out of the end zone. Hoping that the comment about him punting some has some bearing to explain it. I just thought that if you take a chance on someone with the last pick, try it in a position of need since there are still good names on the board. I did not see kicker as a position of need.

Only logical thing I can think of is they saw a kicker who could punt.

Perhaps they're thinking he'll be better with KOs than Kai, and our answer for the punter vacancy.

I would rather that we drafted a true punter, but I guess we'll see how it pans out soon enough.

Like has been said we should take a chance w that last pick and appears we did just that. His punt numbers look pretty damn good, a 70 yard punt is talent that a good coach can work with. If he fills the punter and KO role we have the luxury of keeping Cora Kai aswell. I'm liking the pick more and more honestly
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:06 pm

My guess on the kicker is that he's going to be brought in for the Skins guys to look at and will be a camp body. Once the reg. season begins, he'll be reverted to the practice squad in case something happens to Kai. If he continues to show that he can play in practice and Kai gets hurt, you've got a kicker in waiting. Very low risk and you might just have found a player who can help the team in a few different area's most likely down the road, if at all. But for a 7th round pick, it's all about getting a guy in there just to look at.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 6:07 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Neo wrote:
Colorado Skin Fan wrote:Sure. If we had no kicker already. But since Kai has been the first consistent kicker we've had in years I'm perplexed that they think an average college kicker can come in and outperform him. I get the kick-off thing, but that doesn't appear to be his huge strength, kicking it out of the end zone. Hoping that the comment about him punting some has some bearing to explain it. I just thought that if you take a chance on someone with the last pick, try it in a position of need since there are still good names on the board. I did not see kicker as a position of need.

Only logical thing I can think of is they saw a kicker who could punt.

Perhaps they're thinking he'll be better with KOs than Kai, and our answer for the punter vacancy.

I would rather that we drafted a true punter, but I guess we'll see how it pans out soon enough.

Like has been said we should take a chance w that last pick and appears we did just that. His punt numbers look pretty damn good, a 70 yard punt is talent that a good coach can work with. If he fills the punter and KO role we have the luxury of keeping Cora Kai aswell. I'm liking the pick more and more honestly

I like your optimism; hope it turns out just as you said man.

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat May 10, 2014 6:09 pm

frankcal20 wrote:My guess on the kicker is that he's going to be brought in for the Skins guys to look at and will be a camp body. Once the reg. season begins, he'll be reverted to the practice squad in case something happens to Kai. If he continues to show that he can play in practice and Kai gets hurt, you've got a kicker in waiting. Very low risk and you might just have found a player who can help the team in a few different area's most likely down the road, if at all. But for a 7th round pick, it's all about getting a guy in there just to look at.

I keep forgetting about the practice squad. That's a pretty damn good worst case scenario you wrote up.

Postby Gohogs14 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey guys. Arkansas fan here. I'm obviously biased, but I wouldn't have traded Hocker for any other college kicker the past few years. I'm not sure what the NFL.com review is talking about because he consistently kicked the ball well out of the enzone for us and has a very strong leg. He was 3-4 from 50+ yards last year and went 3-3 at the east-west shrine game including a 56 yarder.

Not sure how he'll do with the skins since kicker is so hard to project but we loved him while he was here (even if most arkansans are cowboys fans :lol: )

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat May 10, 2014 6:47 pm

Neo wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:My guess on the kicker is that he's going to be brought in for the Skins guys to look at and will be a camp body. Once the reg. season begins, he'll be reverted to the practice squad in case something happens to Kai. If he continues to show that he can play in practice and Kai gets hurt, you've got a kicker in waiting. Very low risk and you might just have found a player who can help the team in a few different area's most likely down the road, if at all. But for a 7th round pick, it's all about getting a guy in there just to look at.

I keep forgetting about the practice squad. That's a pretty damn good worst case scenario you wrote up.

:-s

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat May 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Saw that Michael sams was drafted by St Louis in the 7th round. Too bad Redskins passed on him: SEC defensive player of the year ought to be a better than average player. Son lives near St Louis and daughter-in-law is a Mizzou grad. Son thinks that Sams lifted the entire Missouri defense. Maybe a London Fletcher type? That is, the kind of player that Mel Kyper sneers at who happens to start year after year. (Yes, I remember that Kyper bubled about a Redskin QB first round pick named Heath Shuler.)

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat May 10, 2014 8:06 pm

welch wrote:Saw that Michael sams was drafted by St Louis in the 7th round. Too bad Redskins passed on him: SEC defensive player of the year ought to be a better than average player. Son lives near St Louis and daughter-in-law is a Mizzou grad. Son thinks that Sams lifted the entire Missouri defense. Maybe a London Fletcher type? That is, the kind of player that Mel Kyper sneers at who happens to start year after year. (Yes, I remember that Kyper bubled about a Redskin QB first round pick named Heath Shuler.)

He was a productive player, but I think he's a better fit in a 4-3 as a situational pass rusher. He showed poorly at the combine and wasn't asked to be much of a coverage guy. Running a 4.9 forty and a 25' vertical didn't help his projection as a 6'2 260 pound guy. I hope he does well, but I think he's more of a nickel rusher like a Brandon Graham (best case) or a Darryl Tapp (worst case)
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby yupchagee » Sat May 10, 2014 8:12 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Hmmm a Kicker? Arr we not sold on Cobra Kia due to his KO abilities?

Still leaves a hole at Punter tho...
Was that our last pick?

We do have 2 punters on roster. Robert Malone & Blake Clingan.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sat May 10, 2014 8:28 pm

I hadn't considered the practice squad and injury angle. Kai did get hurt last year and having someone around and kicking regularly at Redskins Park to take over in the event he gets hurt or falters makes some sense.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Gohogs14 wrote:Hey guys. Arkansas fan here. I'm obviously biased, but I wouldn't have traded Hocker for any other college kicker the past few years. I'm not sure what the NFL.com review is talking about because he consistently kicked the ball well out of the enzone for us and has a very strong leg. He was 3-4 from 50+ yards last year and went 3-3 at the east-west shrine game including a 56 yarder.

Not sure how he'll do with the skins since kicker is so hard to project but we loved him while he was here (even if most arkansans are cowboys fans :lol: )

Thanks for solidifying my previous sentiment in that I'm liking this pick more and more!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 pm

It's funny how many of these coaches and GM's say "we had Player X rated much higher & when they fell we had to take him"....but before the draft say "we stay true to our board and take the BPA" The two statements don't always match up.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat May 10, 2014 10:05 pm

yupchagee wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Hmmm a Kicker? Arr we not sold on Cobra Kia due to his KO abilities?

Still leaves a hole at Punter tho...
Was that our last pick?

We do have 2 punters on roster. Robert Malone & Blake Clingan.

Who??!

Haha seriously tho, good lookin out! I figured we had someone somewhere but obviously lost our starter in Rocca

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football