Satisfied with our Draft Selections...?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Re: Satisfied with our Draft Selections...?

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 14, 2014 2:48 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I do not look for a bad performance from these guys but I do not think we're going to just suddenly become good enough to win the division this season

I don't know man. I agree with how you're looking at the team realistically, but as you pointed out there were some big reasons that contributed to being 3-13 last year. RGIII's recovery from the ACL and the cap penalty. We don't have the penalty this year, so we had cap space to address holes that we couldn't last year. We'll have to see about Griffin, but I'm at least optimistic that he will be better than last year.

My point is that I don't think it would be that big or that surprising a leap to go from 3-13 to like 9-7 or 10-6 and compete for the division.

We're also not just "suddenly becoming good enough to win the division". We won the division just a season ago (and we did it with a weaker roster than we currently have IMO).

Every other team in the division has their own set of problems to deal with. I think the Cowboys are in far worse shape than we are going into the season. The Giants still don't have Eli Manning back from injury among other things. The Eagles, well, we will see if they can duplicate last year without DJax. They're the team to beat right now, no doubt.

OK - let me put it this way - IMO we have a chance to take the division but more because the other guys are not so great than that we've improved a huge amount
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:20 pm

My takeaway from this draft was a bit different than our previous ones with MS. This year we didn't draft in our immediate areas of need and reached on certain picks. I was also baffled at the fact we only drafted 2 defensive players. It appears that complete emphasis has been given to our offense; meanwhile we lost our defensive centerpiece in Fletcher and had one of the worst Ds in the entire NFL last year. Our 7th round picks were basically wasted in that we are already set at TE and didn't have to draft the K --- then again, they are 7th rounders...... One positive is I LOVED that we got the better in our trade with Dallas.

I believe we have had MUCH stronger drafts in the past.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue May 20, 2014 6:47 pm

markshark84 wrote:Our 7th round picks were basically wasted in that we are already set at TE and didn't have to draft the K

I disagree, there are tons of question marks surrounding Reed's future. Davis is gone, and Paul never was. That only leaves Paulsen, who may be underrated, but we still need the depth. As for the K, we might have thought someone else would scoop him up, or he was the BPA that we thought wouldn't go undrafted.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue May 20, 2014 7:10 pm

If our two linemen work out and we get some contribution on teams I think we did well w the draft. Shannys O line picks flat out suck and have been non contributors. Sure there were studs like Kerrigan but this was a weak draft over all imo. The trade to get the extra third from a rival was well played waiting on Moses turned out to be golden and the Murphy pick is great insurance.. people choose to not acknowledge that he led the ncaa in sacks last year because a cbs beat reporter says we reached for him?? He sounds like a high motor great character guy who rushes the passer well... hmmmm Kerrigan? Like every draft we won't know what we have until we see what we have. I thought the Jordan Reed pick was questionable last year... turned out pretty good! The two late round rbs were gambles and well didn't pan out... lets hope one of this years do. We addressed a LOT in free agency so I think "fans draft boards" looked much different than the FOs
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 pm

As for defence picks vs offense I feel like we went more true to BPA, and not reaching on DBs because we "need" one. We did a LOT of db drafting and only Amersons future looks bright atm.. I'm hoping a recovered Philip Thomas and Rambo contribute but let's not act like going D instead of O increases the chance of anyone contributing right away
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 21, 2014 9:38 am

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:Our 7th round picks were basically wasted in that we are already set at TE and didn't have to draft the K

I disagree, there are tons of question marks surrounding Reed's future. Davis is gone, and Paul never was. That only leaves Paulsen, who may be underrated, but we still need the depth. As for the K, we might have thought someone else would scoop him up, or he was the BPA that we thought wouldn't go undrafted.

Not to mention that we're talking about a 7th round pick. I don't disagree that we have needs on defense, but its not like we missed on adding a defensive starter because we took a TE with our 7th round pick.

Without a first round pick, I think realistically we would be extremely lucky to get one day one starter out of this year's draft. I like the guys we took overall, but most of them - Breeland, Moses and Long in particular - I'm not really expecting to really contribute for a year.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 21, 2014 11:06 am

Deadskins wrote: As for the K, we might have thought someone else would scoop him up, or he was the BPA that we thought wouldn't go undrafted.

Coach Gruden has already said that the purpose was to ensure that he is available to the Redskins for evaluation. This suggests that they thought enough of him to want to make sure he would not sign with another team as a free agent. In other words, they think he was the best kicker available, and are concerned that Forbath's short kick-offs are a problem that outweighs his FG accuracy.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 21, 2014 12:07 pm

I've finally set my eyes on my unreasonable/unrealistic/long shot of the team that I project to become a probowler. :lol:

Cody Hoffman ladies and gents. I've been clamoring for a tall WR since I joined this forum, he is my hope and destiny. :lol: I will ride this bandwagon to the end. My bold prediction is that he will become a starter once the team has to make a decision on keeping DJax. With that said, I bid you adieu!

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-cougars-football/2014/5/6/5682370/nfl-draft-profile-cody-hoffman-byu-cougars-football
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I've finally set my eyes on my unreasonable/unrealistic/long shot of the team that I project to become a probowler. :lol:

Cody Hoffman ladies and gents. I've been clamoring for a tall WR since I joined this forum, he is my hope and destiny. :lol: I will ride this bandwagon to the end. My bold prediction is that he will become a starter once the team has to make a decision on keeping DJax. With that said, I bid you adieu!

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-cougars-football/2014/5/6/5682370/nfl-draft-profile-cody-hoffman-byu-cougars-football
What? You haven't crowned him ROY???
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:23 pm

SkinsJock wrote:considering how much needs to be done here from what we saw last year and with a new staff coming in, I am still hopeful

I do not think we're re-building but we are trying to put together a team and we are averaging about 6 wins a season with a decent HC for the last 4 seasons

I do not look for a bad performance from these guys but I do not think we're going to just suddenly become good enough to win the division this season

To be a continuing contributor in the post season, I think this will take time. I do not believe yet that we are the 49ers,Colts,Denver,Patriots or even near yet. I think we could take our division though. If Robert is playing like we hope.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu May 22, 2014 8:33 am

Kilmer72 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:considering how much needs to be done here from what we saw last year and with a new staff coming in, I am still hopeful

I do not think we're re-building but we are trying to put together a team and we are averaging about 6 wins a season with a decent HC for the last 4 seasons

I do not look for a bad performance from these guys but I do not think we're going to just suddenly become good enough to win the division this season

To be a continuing contributor in the post season, I think this will take time. I do not believe yet that we are the 49ers,Colts,Denver,Patriots or even near yet. I think we could take our division though. If Robert is playing like we hope.

Making the playoffs is half the battle.

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I've finally set my eyes on my unreasonable/unrealistic/long shot of the team that I project to become a probowler. :lol:

That's a good post CLL shared about Hoffman. Worth a read! I don't know about becoming a pro-bowler, but does sound like he could be competitive for a roster spot this year. Personally I get excited about these guys who got it done consistently in college, but then see their draft stock fall at the combine. I definitely prefer to look at what a player has done on the field vs. how he ran unopposed in his underwear in Indianapolis.

Key quote in that article:
if there is one thing I can tell you about Hoffman there is a reason he's BYU all-time leader in receiving touchdowns in a single game (5), career receptions (260), career receiving touchdowns (33), career receiving yardage (3,612) through some of the most inconsistent quarterback play BYU has seen in a while...the guy just knows how to catch the football.

Sounds like the anti-Hank. The author also failed to mention that he played injured two seasons with a torn labrum.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:38 am

Overall I thought our F.O.s approach was strange. How we didnt draft an ILB has me scratching my head.

I have always thought that if we have a solid starter in one position we should find starters in other positions of need before we look for depth.

We have a good kicker, TE,RB and a good set of WRs. Yet we ended up drafting not one but two RBs one thanks to RG3.

I feel Murphy and our two OLine picks in the third should end up being starters. After that we will just have to see.

Im not going to bash our draft too much. But its clear our F.O. isnt the best in the draft. Beathard is long gone and its clear the difference in one good GM vs mediocre GM.

Like most of our drafts in the past ten years. I always come away feeling like we could have gotten more out of the draft. I thought Casserly back in the day actually picked good talent but our coaching situation stunk at the time.

I think we probably can count on Murphy, Moses and the other lineman selected I forgot his name will be starters. Last years draft Amerson and Reed have already contributed. So thats two keepers so far. That tells you how many picks our F.O. wasted.

Our scouting needs to improve. I have seen improvement in not overpaying aging free agents. But now our F.O. has to start converting most of our draft picks in to starters. Whats the point in selecting a player just so he can get cut?

C- is the grade I give for this draft. If you look at team needs we did not grab an ILB. We still lack a true NT. Whats strange to me is if our F.O. was following the draft the best player available. How did they draft Murphy who was a projected third rounder in the second? Not knocking Murphy I am just questioning our F.O.s logic.

I totally disagree with drafting another OLB when we have two Pro Bowl OLBs. We have glaring needs at ILB,S, OL and we end up drafting an OLB a position in which we are deep. Please guys you know this move is highly questionable. But whats done is done and I do feel Murphy is a good player. Just still I scratch my head on how our F.O. drafts.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:41 am

HEROHAMO wrote:How did they draft Murphy who was a projected third rounder in the second?

Projected by who? Obviously, not our FO. And that's the only projection that matters.

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:58 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Overall I thought our F.O.s approach was strange. How we didnt draft an ILB has me scratching my head.

I have always thought that if we have a solid starter in one position we should find starters in other positions of need before we look for depth.

That's a great way to be a constantly mediocre team
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football