Trent Murphy

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Trent Murphy

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 13, 2014 8:29 am

I must say I'm a little concerned about this pick. I was happy we got Moses anyway later on. Here is the Rotoworld/Cosell take:

Trent Murphy - LB - Redskins

Redskins selected Stanford OLB Trent Murphy with the No. 47 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

Murphy (6-foot-5 3/8, 250) played outside linebacker for the Cardinal, earning second-team All-American accolades in 2013. He finished his career with a whopping 52.5 tackles for loss and 32.5 sacks, good for third most in school history. Murphy clocked 4.86 at the Combine with a 9-foot-10 broad jump.

Despite his college stats, Murphy lacks NFL-caliber edge-rush tools. After charting all 15 of Murphy's senior-year sacks, NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated, "only two of them came when he actually beat someone. I don't really think he's a true NFL pass rusher." Ultimately, Murphy is a try-hard college player whose skills may simply struggle to translate. He'll slot in as Washington's No. 3 rush 'backer behind Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan.

May 9 - 8:22 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

kazoo

Re: Trent Murphy

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue May 13, 2014 9:06 am

So he got 2 sacks by beating someone out of 15? How do you get 13 sacks without beating anyone?

If he was a slam dunk, he'd have been a first rounder. I'm positive on him as a second rounder since we still have Rak and Kerrigan and added Hatcher as well. The most effective is go get lots of guys rushing from different directions. And they need to put pressure quickly since we didn't do any major secondary upgrades.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:So he got 2 sacks by beating someone out of 15? How do you get 13 sacks without beating anyone?

If he was a slam dunk, he'd have been a first rounder. I'm positive on him as a second rounder since we still have Rak and Kerrigan and added Hatcher as well. The most effective is go get lots of guys rushing from different directions. And they need to put pressure quickly since we didn't do any major secondary upgrades.

He may be very good for us. I think what Cosell is saying (I did not watch tape and am not agreeing) is that he simply came free 13 times as opposed to overpowering or getting around someone trying to block him.

His simple measurables tell me he is very light for his height and is rather slow making him (possibly) ill equipped to bull rush or turn the corner in the NFL.

I do like the fact that we picked a guy (at #47) we liked and got Moses later anyway.

Pitt took this guy at #192. I'll be watching him:

Jordan Zumwalt - LB - Steelers

Steelers selected UCLA OLB Jordan Zumwalt with the No. 192 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

Zumwalt (6-foot-4, 235) made 30 starts for the Bruins, tallying 22.5 tackles for loss with five sacks, three picks and five forced fumbles. He showed flexibility in Jim Mora's 3-4, spending time at both inside and outside 'backer.

Zumwalt ran 4.76 at the Combine with a 33-inch vertical and 9-foot-8 broad jump. An aggressive, highly competitive player without elite athletic traits, Zumwalt fits best in the NFL as a strong-side defender. He'll first try to crack the 53-man roster as a special teamer.

May 10 - 4:21 PM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue May 13, 2014 12:21 pm

I think this is a wait and see kind of pick. People keep talking about him like he's playing the same position as Rak/Kerrigan or will possibly replace one of those guys in the next year or two. I'm not sure that's the case. Here's what Mike Jones wrote about him today:

Jim Haslett will likely find situations where he has Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan and Murphy on the field at the same time. We’ve seen some of this with Rob Jackson, and here and there with Brandon Jenkins in the limited times that Jenkins dressed. Sometimes you might see Orakpo rushing from one edge with Kerrigan lined up as a defensive end on the left side, and Murphy rushing as the outside linebacker on Kerrigan’s shoulder. Other times Murphy could join Orakpo on the right side. There could be instances where a pair of outside linebackers are on one side and one dips to the inside while the other goes around the outside as they try to confuse offensive linemen and quarterbacks and get into the backfield. If you add Jason Hatcher to the mix, the Redskins potentially could have a very disruptive group of pass rushers.

Stanford HC David Shaw:
Stanford coach David Shaw called the 6-foot-5, 261-pounder “the nastiest guy on the team, and it’s not even close.” His teammates called him “Yeti” after the Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas.

He might eventually play defensive end for the Redskins since he could well add 20 pounds in the next few years.

Btw did anybody else read that thing about Murphy starting his career out in "steer wrestling"??? Good grief. The guy is a freaking roughneck. I would love to see a tough guy bringing some nastiness to the defense this year.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Riggo, that is exaclty what I was thinking when we made this pick, that we have him add on 15-20 lbs (granted he still would be slightly undersized) and have him as an aggressive 3-4 DE, sort of like a poor man's JJ Watt. The guy has a motor, that much we know. How our coaching staff uses him remains to be seen.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue May 13, 2014 1:18 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:Riggo, that is exaclty what I was thinking when we made this pick, that we have him add on 15-20 lbs (granted he still would be slightly undersized) and have him as an aggressive 3-4 DE, sort of like a poor man's JJ Watt. The guy has a motor, that much we know. How our coaching staff uses him remains to be seen.

Right on, man. I can't wait to see what they do with him.

There were a decent number of alternatives when they picked Murphy. They must like something about him or have some idea about how they would like to use him. I don't think any of those guys are stupid.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 13, 2014 1:24 pm

riggofan wrote:I think this is a wait and see kind of pick. People keep talking about him like he's playing the same position as Rak/Kerrigan or will possibly replace one of those guys in the next year or two. I'm not sure that's the case. Here's what Mike Jones wrote about him today:

Jim Haslett will likely find situations where he has Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan and Murphy on the field at the same time. We’ve seen some of this with Rob Jackson, and here and there with Brandon Jenkins in the limited times that Jenkins dressed. Sometimes you might see Orakpo rushing from one edge with Kerrigan lined up as a defensive end on the left side, and Murphy rushing as the outside linebacker on Kerrigan’s shoulder. Other times Murphy could join Orakpo on the right side. There could be instances where a pair of outside linebackers are on one side and one dips to the inside while the other goes around the outside as they try to confuse offensive linemen and quarterbacks and get into the backfield. If you add Jason Hatcher to the mix, the Redskins potentially could have a very disruptive group of pass rushers.

Stanford HC David Shaw:
Stanford coach David Shaw called the 6-foot-5, 261-pounder “the nastiest guy on the team, and it’s not even close.” His teammates called him “Yeti” after the Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas.

He might eventually play defensive end for the Redskins since he could well add 20 pounds in the next few years.

Btw did anybody else read that thing about Murphy starting his career out in "steer wrestling"??? Good grief. The guy is a freaking roughneck. I would love to see a tough guy bringing some nastiness to the defense this year.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Tue May 13, 2014 2:22 pm

It sounds like the guy has a nose for the ball, good instincts, a good motor, and a mean streak. Any chance he could be tried out as the other MLB opposite Riley? It sounds like he'd be a powerhouse against the run and good for blitzing straight up the middle.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue May 13, 2014 2:25 pm

DarthMonk wrote:He may be very good for us. I think what Cosell is saying (I did not watch tape and am not agreeing) is that he simply came free 13 times as opposed to overpowering or getting around someone trying to block him.

He simply came free 13 times and sacked the quarterback in the Pac 10? I realize all the sacks probably weren't in conference, but still. Apparently if that's true I'm a lot more impressed by it than you are. He works hard and apparently people forget to block him.

As I pointed out too, we're not looking for him to generate a pass rush on his own.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue May 13, 2014 2:26 pm

Hooligan wrote:It sounds like the guy has a nose for the ball, good instincts, a good motor, and a mean streak. Any chance he could be tried out as the other MLB opposite Riley? It sounds like he'd be a powerhouse against the run and good for blitzing straight up the middle.

Wouldn't he be too small for the middle?

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:47 pm

He has very good pash rush moves, vision, power. Not gonna be an edge rusher but he can certainly be productive in blitz packages. Also has great hands and decent quickness, could be a MLB candidate if they could develop him there
No Pressure, No Diamonds

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:57 pm

I'm not certain the coaches know exactly what they're going to do with him yet but based on his production and the amount of effort the guy puts in, I think he's the kind of guy that the coaches want on the team. Similar to London, he didn't have all the measurables. Wasn't a big name guy but while he doesn't jump off the page, the guy made plays. They'll find a spot for him.

Let's ask this question. Say he doesn't really plays much but is a stud on special teams similar to what we had in our guy Lorenzo "One man Gang" Alexander for the next 8-10 years. Would you take it? I sure as hell would!!!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue May 13, 2014 3:50 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:So he got 2 sacks by beating someone out of 15? How do you get 13 sacks without beating anyone?

He may be very good for us. I think what Cosell is saying (I did not watch tape and am not agreeing) is that he simply came free 13 times as opposed to overpowering or getting around someone trying to block him.

His simple measurables tell me he is very light for his height and is rather slow making him (possibly) ill equipped to bull rush or turn the corner in the NFL.

I do like the fact that we picked a guy (at #47) we liked and got Moses later anyway.

Pitt took this guy at #192. I'll be watching him:

Jordan Zumwalt - LB - Steelers

Steelers selected UCLA OLB Jordan Zumwalt with the No. 192 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

Zumwalt (6-foot-4, 235) made 30 starts for the Bruins, tallying 22.5 tackles for loss with five sacks, three picks and five forced fumbles. He showed flexibility in Jim Mora's 3-4, spending time at both inside and outside 'backer.

Zumwalt ran 4.76 at the Combine with a 33-inch vertical and 9-foot-8 broad jump. An aggressive, highly competitive player without elite athletic traits, Zumwalt fits best in the NFL as a strong-side defender. He'll first try to crack the 53-man roster as a special teamer.

May 10 - 4:21 PM

Doode!!! After hearing Jordan on satellite radio I was sold and had hoped we drafted him too... I actually lobbied for him in one of the draft threads.. sux for us.. Pitt is known for beast LBs and this kid surely font disappoint
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue May 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Hooligan wrote:It sounds like the guy has a nose for the ball, good instincts, a good motor, and a mean streak. Any chance he could be tried out as the other MLB opposite Riley? It sounds like he'd be a powerhouse against the run and good for blitzing straight up the middle.

I don't know, but the coaches are talking up Keenan Robinson again. That could be the guy in the middle with Riley (if he can stay healthy).

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue May 13, 2014 4:17 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I'm not certain the coaches know exactly what they're going to do with him yet but based on his production and the amount of effort the guy puts in, I think he's the kind of guy that the coaches want on the team. Similar to London, he didn't have all the measurables. Wasn't a big name guy but while he doesn't jump off the page, the guy made plays. They'll find a spot for him.

Let's ask this question. Say he doesn't really plays much but is a stud on special teams similar to what we had in our guy Lorenzo "One man Gang" Alexander for the next 8-10 years. Would you take it? I sure as hell would!!!!

I hear what you're saying. I'd kind of hope with him being our top pick in the draft that they had at least some idea how they would use him before they made the pick. I was listening to his Stanford coach on the radio this afternoon and he loved the guy, talked a lot about his effort and his versatility.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football