Trent Murphy

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Trent Murphy

Postby DarthMonk » Tue May 13, 2014 4:40 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:He may be very good for us. I think what Cosell is saying (I did not watch tape and am not agreeing) is that he simply came free 13 times as opposed to overpowering or getting around someone trying to block him.

He simply came free 13 times and sacked the quarterback in the Pac 10? I realize all the sacks probably weren't in conference, but still. Apparently if that's true I'm a lot more impressed by it than you are. He works hard and apparently people forget to block him.

As I pointed out too, we're not looking for him to generate a pass rush on his own.

Cosell bro. I'm just voicing a little concern based on some stuff like Cosell's analysis but I've heard a lot of good counterargument here. If it turns out he's truly awesome I'll be as happy as anybody. Relax.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue May 13, 2014 4:41 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:It sounds like the guy has a nose for the ball, good instincts, a good motor, and a mean streak. Any chance he could be tried out as the other MLB opposite Riley? It sounds like he'd be a powerhouse against the run and good for blitzing straight up the middle.

Wouldn't he be too small for the middle?
Didn't London Fletcher and Ray Lewis already make this a myth?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby yupchagee » Tue May 13, 2014 6:53 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:It sounds like the guy has a nose for the ball, good instincts, a good motor, and a mean streak. Any chance he could be tried out as the other MLB opposite Riley? It sounds like he'd be a powerhouse against the run and good for blitzing straight up the middle.

???????
K. Robinson 6'3" 242#
Riley 6'1" 239#
Hayward 6'1" 240
Sharpton 5'11" 235#
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:14 pm

It's pretty difficult to get a good pass rusher after the first round, so if they feel they may have one it's probably worth the risk. If I've learned anything from the giants other than how to manipulate the commissioner, it's you can never have too many pass rushers.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue May 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Btw did anybody else read that thing about Murphy starting his career out in "steer wrestling"??? Good grief. The guy is a freaking roughneck. I would love to see a tough guy bringing some nastiness to the defense this year.

Thus the comparison to Jared Allen that some have alluded to. When Trent gets a sack, he'll dance around like a hillbilly cowboy ( the lasso act was taken already)
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed May 14, 2014 7:00 am

Countertrey wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Didn't London Fletcher and Ray Lewis already make this a myth?

I didn't mean it as a statement so much as a question, but Fletcher and Lewis are thick as bricks not built like pass rushers. Maybe "small" wasn't the right word, but I can't think of lanky, pass rusher built middle linebackers. I am sure they'll consider every option. He just looks like an outside not an inside LB to me, and being the "starter" is less and less important with the constant shuffling and rotations they do.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 14, 2014 8:25 am

brad7686 wrote:It's pretty difficult to get a good pass rusher after the first round, so if they feel they may have one it's probably worth the risk. If I've learned anything from the giants other than how to manipulate the commissioner, it's you can never have too many pass rushers.

Right on man. Albert Haynesworth taught me that lesson. Anybody remember how desperate we were for a pass rusher before Vinny signed that guy? hahah.

btw DarthMonk I don't think there is anything wrong with being concerned about the Murphy pick. Definitely some question marks about him and how he will fit on the team.

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Wed May 14, 2014 12:00 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Isn't that what the said about London Fletcher? When they drafted this guy, I was thinking. Middle.

Postby yupchagee » Wed May 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Mississippi Hog wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Isn't that what the said about London Fletcher? When they drafted this guy, I was thinking. Middle.

I don't think he has the coverage skills for ILB.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Wed May 14, 2014 11:21 pm

I looked at quite a few articles on him. I found this one encouraging. They really like his skills against the run and say that is what keeps most rookie pass rushers of the field. With his work ethic he'll increase his burst. I saw another article that showed Jared Allen's bio coming out of college and it read dead on to what they are saying about Murphy. He turned out pretty well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... nt-murphy/

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Wed May 14, 2014 11:29 pm

No saying the guy will become Jared Allen, but the similarities are there.

JARED ALLEN
Position: DE
Class: Sr
School: Idaho St.
Conference: Big Sky
Ht., Wt.: 6'6, 265
40 Time: 4.72
Grade: 3.37

Selected by Kansas City Chiefs
Round 4, pick 30 (126 overall)
BIO: All-American and all-conference selection as a senior, as well as given the Buck Buchanan Award as NCAA I-AA Defensive Player of the Year. Finished the season leading the team with 102/28/17.5 and also defended nine passes. Junior totals included 63/18/10.5 after sophomore numbers of 49/16/6.5.

POSITIVES: Productive small school prospect with a penchant for making plays all over the field. Imposing looking figure that plays with balance, leverage and is rarely off his feet. Drives up the field and tough to handle. Can twist or stunt, quick off the edge and smooth changing direction.

NEGATIVES: Overall game lacks explosion, a closing burst to the ball carrier and strength. At times easily ridden from the play or handled at the point.

ANALYSIS: At first glance, Allen looks like a top prospect based on productivity yet lacks the top upside for the next level. Will find a spot on an active NFL roster if he continues to make plays into the opponents backfield.

PROJECTION: Late Sixth Round

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:38 am

I don't care how he makes sacks, just that he makes them. But notice how small his shoulder pads are. Makes him look like a player who knifes between blockers rather than takes them on with power. I don't know what critics are talking about when they say he's not explosive. They must be talking about his hitting. If anything, he is tremendously explosive if one is talking about speed. The guy looks for open lanes and then explodes down them before blockers can react. Some of the fastest, surprising sacks I've seen. There's no way he's not faster than Rak or Kerrigan.

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Thu May 15, 2014 12:45 am

I can't wait until we have Murphy, Rak, Kerrigan, and Hatcher on the field at the same time,

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu May 15, 2014 2:32 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:I can't wait until we have Murphy, Rak, Kerrigan, and Hatcher on the field at the same time,

=P~
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu May 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Mississippi Hog wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I'm sure they will consider that and all options. However, if he's a natural OLB, I don't see forcing him into an uncomfortable position to get him on the field, then losing what we liked when we drafted him. I'd rather use him to rotate with Kerrigan and Orakpo and keep them all fresh. Then maybe have all three on for clear pass situations.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football