2014 News out of OTAs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Good stuff there!!

That last bit about the RBs shouldn't surprise anyone. It's very rare that a rookie RB comes in and challenges third year vets in Camp right out the gates. He should develop as camp progresses but most likely will be a practice squad stash in case of injury. I'm kinda surprised at the comment tho- has he already surpassed Jawan Jameson and Chris Thompson? That'd be pretty telling if he is already the fourth guy on the depth chart.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk
Posts: 4211
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

Reporting from Redskins OTAs, USA Today's Jim Corbett says Robert Griffin III "looks like a different QB."

Griffin tried to rush back too soon from his knee reconstruction last season, resulting in a nightmarish encore to his jaw-dropping rookie campaign. This year, Griffin will be nearly 20 months removed from his tear by the time Week 1 rolls around. He also has a passer-friendly head coach in Jay Gruden and an explosive new toy in DeSean Jackson. Griffin appears "effortless in his drops and throwing mechanics without that ball and chain knee brace," according to Corbett. RG3 is an excellent bet to make a smashing comeback.

Source: Jim Corbett on Twitter Jun 4 - 11:48 AM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#14
Posts: 4260
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby yupchagee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:22 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Good stuff there!!

That last bit about the RBs shouldn't surprise anyone. It's very rare that a rookie RB comes in and challenges third year vets in Camp right out the gates. He should develop as camp progresses but most likely will be a practice squad stash in case of injury. I'm kinda surprised at the comment tho- has he already surpassed Jawan Jameson and Chris Thompson? That'd be pretty telling if he is already the fourth guy on the depth chart.


It's easy to be ahead of Jamison. He's been released.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

CKRGiii
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:41 am

But he was a Shaany diamond in the rough!
Shame tho.. being Irish (albeit 2 years sober) I have an affinity for that name... Mmm gingerbread cookie whiskey!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4401
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:03 am

Good item out of OTAs:

For the second week in a row, Gruden indicated that you’d be a fool to bet against Keenan Robinson starting at inside linebacker Week 1 in Houston. “He’s a lot further ahead than we anticipated, stamina-wise, mentally. He’s doing a great job, obviously, but the linebacker position is hard to judge in shorts. But it is exciting to see him run around, he’s a very fluid athlete. Like I said last week, I think he’s active in the passing game and his run fits have been outstanding.”

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4401
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:09 am

This one from the WashPost about Bashaud Breeland is good news too:

Later, Breeland got the best of the speedy Robinson, running with him stride for stride downfield on a deep route and swatting away what would’ve been a touchdown. Interestingly, Breeland fell in the draft because of a poor 40-yard-dash time (4.62 seconds). But he appears much faster than that. There’s an obvious difference between clock fast and football fast, because Breeland hasn’t gotten dusted when it comes to flat-out running. He had told coaches that he didn’t feel like he had learned the proper technique required to run an impressive 40-yard-dash. But coaches are very happy with what they’ve seen so far, and they believe that this time next year, he could be a difference-maker.


Time will tell. But with guys like Robinson and Breeland, its good to see we might be able to address some of those question marks on the team with our own home grown guys and draft picks.

#14
Posts: 4260
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby yupchagee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:59 pm

riggofan wrote:This one from the WashPost about Bashaud Breeland is good news too:

Later, Breeland got the best of the speedy Robinson, running with him stride for stride downfield on a deep route and swatting away what would’ve been a touchdown. Interestingly, Breeland fell in the draft because of a poor 40-yard-dash time (4.62 seconds). But he appears much faster than that. There’s an obvious difference between clock fast and football fast, because Breeland hasn’t gotten dusted when it comes to flat-out running. He had told coaches that he didn’t feel like he had learned the proper technique required to run an impressive 40-yard-dash. But coaches are very happy with what they’ve seen so far, and they believe that this time next year, he could be a difference-maker.


Time will tell. But with guys like Robinson and Breeland, its good to see we might be able to address some of those question marks on the team with our own home grown guys and draft picks.


Good with regards to Breeland, bad with regards to Robinson.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15877
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:59 pm

yupchagee wrote:
riggofan wrote:This one from the WashPost about Bashaud Breeland is good news too:

Later, Breeland got the best of the speedy Robinson, running with him stride for stride downfield on a deep route and swatting away what would’ve been a touchdown. Interestingly, Breeland fell in the draft because of a poor 40-yard-dash time (4.62 seconds). But he appears much faster than that. There’s an obvious difference between clock fast and football fast, because Breeland hasn’t gotten dusted when it comes to flat-out running. He had told coaches that he didn’t feel like he had learned the proper technique required to run an impressive 40-yard-dash. But coaches are very happy with what they’ve seen so far, and they believe that this time next year, he could be a difference-maker.


Time will tell. But with guys like Robinson and Breeland, its good to see we might be able to address some of those question marks on the team with our own home grown guys and draft picks.


Good with regards to Breeland, bad with regards to Robinson.

I think riggofan meant Keenan, not Aldrick. But as for Aldrick, just because Breeland Was able to run with him doesn't really say anything negative about him, just that Breeland is also fast.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#14
Posts: 4260
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby yupchagee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 pm

riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:You da man Riggo!! I see RGiii on sportscenter, then it's the ol name change debate on here smfh- thank you sir!


I know it man. I just need to tune out the name change stuff. Whatever is going to happen will happen.

It looks to me like there is some good stuff happening at OTAs right now. Just the fact that we have guys COMPETING for those safety positions kind of blows my mind.

Speaking of safeties, did anybody notice news on two of the biggest free agents that everybody was p***ed off we didn't sign? TJ Ward arrested in Denver for a strip club incident. And Jairus Byrd signed his big contract then immediately opted to have back surgery. LMFAO. Obviously not saying those guys won't be good for those teams, but still... What would fans be saying right now if we'd blown our whole FA wad on Byrd and he misses OTAs for back surgery? That's crazy.

Players who were returning kicks last week: Lache Seastrunk, Chris Thompson, Nick Williams, Andre Roberts and Rashad Ross. What do you think?

Two players I'm really curious about headed into training camp: LeRib and Minnifield. I don't know, just both guys I would still like to see prove themselves and earn a roster spot. Sounds like Minnifield is playing with a chip on his shoulder so far.

Btw it must suck to google yourself when you are LeRib. The first result I was getting is "josh leribeus out of shape".


He may be too lazy to google himself :?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

CKRGiii
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Tell me something good?!?!?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4401
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:11 pm

yupchagee wrote:He may be too lazy to google himself :?


ha. Ouch!

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4401
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:12 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Tell me something good?!?!?


I was reading somewhere today that Gruden might be likely to keep nine o-linemen this year (they kept eight last year). Seems like that might make some sense with so many young guys still trying to work their way in.

CKRGiii
Posts: 4170
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Guess we jus have t entertain ourselves until the real camp starts smh... there's all kinds of news out of other camps.. are we just taking a break?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby Hooligan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:50 pm

I just watched Gruden's latest OTA press conference and I'm pretty stoked about our HC. Listening him talk, I hear confidence, competence, and leadership. Gruden really seems to have his act together. He knows what he wants from the team and how to get there. He seems to have a great understanding of the game, players, positions, scheme, and how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. He doesn't seem over his head one bit, and I'm anxious for the joint practice with the Patriots.

We haven't hit the field yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4401
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 2014 News out of OTAs

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Hooligan wrote:I just watched Gruden's latest OTA press conference and I'm pretty stoked about our HC. Listening him talk, I hear confidence, competence, and leadership. Gruden really seems to have his act together. He knows what he wants from the team and how to get there. He seems to have a great understanding of the game, players, positions, scheme, and how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. He doesn't seem over his head one bit, and I'm anxious for the joint practice with the Patriots.

We haven't hit the field yet, but I'm cautiously optimistic.


I'm not surprised by your reaction. Gruden obviously still has to prove his HC ability on the field, but there's no doubt he's more likeable than Shanahan and inspires more confidence than Zorn. I think with the right players and coaches around him, he has a good shot at being successful.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football