Joe Jacoby

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Online
Posts: 17894
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:48 am

DEHog wrote:Step two complete!!
Former Washington Redskins All-Pro tackle Joe Jacboy is once again a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
On Wednesday evening, Jacoby, who spent his entire 13-year playing career with the Redskins, was named a semifinalist for possible induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame with the Class of 2017.It marks the seventh time that the Louisville product has been named a semifinalist. Although the wait for Jacoby to receive his gold jacket and bronze bust has been far too long now, he did get one step closer to enshrinement last year when was named a finalist for the first time. From 1983-86, Jacoby earned four Pro Bowl berths and was named a first-team All-Pro on two occasions. A member of the most famous offensive line in NFL history — “The Hogs” — Jacoby won three Super Bowls before retiring following the 1993 season. The next step to Canton is the semifinalists to be narrowed to 15 finalists in January.
On Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017, in Houston, the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee will determine who completes the class of 2017.



THANK YOU for this - this has got to happen
Redskins need to fire Bruce Allen, put together a good FO & get a new GM (maybe Doug Williams)
We have some good players and coaches - things could get better quickly here if we had better decision makers

Hog
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby oj » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:56 am

Joe Jacoby deserves his own Hall of Fame.
Molon Labe

Diesel
Posts: 7228
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: FedEx Field

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Congrats to Joe for being selected as a finalist for the PFHOF class of 2017...on to Houston!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby mastdark81 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Jacoby to me was probably our top olineman ever. Played tackle and guard well. When you talk about hogs this who I always think about. He was huge.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 18375
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:28 am

mastdark81 wrote:Jacoby to me was probably our top olineman ever. Played tackle and guard well. When you talk about hogs this who I always think about. He was huge.

He was great and definitely deserving of enshrinement. Being undrafted, his longevity and the fact that he played some guard as well puts him in the running for best ever. But, to me, Jim Lachey was a slightly better tackle. We've had an embarrassment of riches at that position for the last 35 years.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Diesel
Posts: 7228
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: FedEx Field

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:33 am

Deadskins wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:Jacoby to me was probably our top olineman ever. Played tackle and guard well. When you talk about hogs this who I always think about. He was huge.

He was great and definitely deserving of enshrinement. Being undrafted, his longevity and the fact that he played some guard as well puts him in the running for best ever. But, to me, Jim Lachey was a slightly better tackle. We've had an embarrassment of riches at that position for the last 35 years.

I hear people say that, but in fairness (and I pose the question to you) was it because Joe was at the end of his career and got moved to RT when Lachey came in?
Do you feel Lachey was better than Joe in his prime?
Last edited by DEHog on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Diesel
Posts: 7228
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: FedEx Field

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 am

mastdark81 wrote:Jacoby to me was probably our top olineman ever. Played tackle and guard well. When you talk about hogs this who I always think about. He was huge.

No doubt, ironic that voters have held back voting for him because Grimm is in. I've heard many people says that Joe should have been voted in first!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 18375
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:50 am

DEHog wrote:Do you feel Lachey was better than Joe in his prime?

Yes, but it's not a huge spread. And don't get me wrong, I love Joe, and think he is one of the greatest linemen of all time, not just for the Redskins.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Diesel
Posts: 7228
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: FedEx Field

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 am

Deadskins wrote:
DEHog wrote:Do you feel Lachey was better than Joe in his prime?

Yes, but it's not a huge spread. And don't get me wrong, I love Joe, and think he is one of the greatest linemen of all time, not just for the Redskins.

Fair enough, it's ironic that if Lachey had stayed in Oakland he'd be a HOF'er, but it will be a uphill climb for him now because of having two others from that line in the HOF.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:40 pm
Location: UK

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby ferryrich » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:43 pm

I can't understand these things about multiple linemen from from unit. The voters think nothing about a QB, RB, WR combo who would all be making each other better.

Diesel
Posts: 7228
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: FedEx Field

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby DEHog » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:35 am

ferryrich wrote:I can't understand these things about multiple linemen from from unit. The voters think nothing about a QB, RB, WR combo who would all be making each other better.

Yea that kind of bother me when I heard it, so we provided the voters with numerous examples of Olines with 2 players in the Hall.
None of them are an accomplished as the Hogs and the only discussion I'll have as to was as good or better was the great Raiders line of the 60/70's
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby mastdark81 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Deadskins wrote:
mastdark81 wrote:Jacoby to me was probably our top olineman ever. Played tackle and guard well. When you talk about hogs this who I always think about. He was huge.

He was great and definitely deserving of enshrinement. Being undrafted, his longevity and the fact that he played some guard as well puts him in the running for best ever. But, to me, Jim Lachey was a slightly better tackle. We've had an embarrassment of riches at that position for the last 35 years.


Lachey was great. He probably was a better overall pass blocker than Jacoby. But Jacoby was definitely a greater run blocker and was on all 3 of our super bowls compared to Lachey's 1 SB.

I am not old enough to know how good Grimm was, by the time I started to see him he was in decline.

Skins History Buff
Posts: 5670
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby welch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:40 pm

As I remember it, Lawrence Taylor could always get around Jacoby on pass plays. Then the Redskins got Lachey and LT became frustrated. Lachey was very big and so nimble that however LT tried, Lachey was always between him and Rypien (and Humphries in some games). Still, LT was about the only defensive player who could manage Jacoby, and when Jacoby could line up LT between two other players, Jacoby would flatten LT.

Unfortunately, Lachey tore his knee early in Petibon's first, and last, season.

Diesel
Posts: 7228
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: FedEx Field

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:23 am

I’ll respectfully disagree, did you know Joe was a highly recruited High school All-American Basketball player…so he was an athlete.

Joe Bugel said
A freak of nature ahead of his time, we put him at left tackle for one reason to match up against Lawrence Taylor.


Lawrence Taylor said
Jacoby was one of the linemen that always gave me trouble, because he was so big and so quick and so long. I was forced to create a move just for Jacoby. "Geritol," it what I called it, "because after the snap I tried to look like an old man running up to him." Unable to overwhelm him physically, I sought to lull Jacoby into a tactical mistake. For a bigger guy, he was able to move so although I was more athletic, he could really hold his own.

Russ Grimm said
The man played LT in a right-handed stance....unheard of in today's game but still had the quickness and strength to dominate the position. Durability, toughness, and the heart of a champion. Loved playing beside him, trusted him as a friend, and will always be like a brother. He deserves to be in The Hall.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Diesel
Posts: 7228
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:03 pm
Location: FedEx Field

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:16 am

Joe picked up nice a nice endorsementent from HOF'er Chris Doleman yesterday!
If I had to pick one,” he said, “I would go with Joe Jacoby. Just for the simple fact that Joe Jacoby lined up against Lawrence Taylor two times a year. When he played Dallas he always had to play either Charles Haley or one of the great defensive ends that were coming from that side of the ball.

“His works speak for themselves. This is his 19th year of eligibility, and if we don’t recognize him now when are we going to recognize him?”

Good question. Jacoby became a first-time finalist last year in his 18th year of eligibility and pulled one of the biggest surprises when he made the cut to 10. He is not what you’d call a favorite this year, but because he went so deep into the vote a year ago as a first-time finalist he is considered a wildcard for the Class of 2017.
And maybe that’s the way it should be. Because when we asked Doleman what makes a good … or great … pass protector, he again referenced Jacoby.

“There are two types (of pass protectors),” he said. “One, there’s a puncher-and-reset type of guy. So I would look at (Hall-of-Fame guard) Willie Roaf, who would sit back there, and he wants to stop your momentum, then reset, then stop your momentum and reset you.

“Then there’s the guy who is the counter puncher, a little bit more of a patient player who would allow you to make your move first. Then he locks in on you and is able to either run you past the quarterback or run you down inside toward the guard. Those are the kinds of guys who make it very difficult.

“Joe Jacoby had a long body. The guys who gave me the most trouble were very athletic guys. So you say, ‘How is Joe Jacoby known as a very athletic guy?’ Well, his feet and the way he kept his butt to the quarterback … it was the perfect position to keep that defensive end trying to get him upfield and coming underneath or trying to get him down inside, close to that guard, and work around that corner.

“So his protection — and that type of protection — are very, very difficult to beat. And he’s such a long body. I mean, you think you’re past him, and, all of a sudden, boom, he gives you a little push and knocks you off line.”
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football