Joe Jacoby

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Re: Joe Jacoby

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:36 am

Jacoby became a first-time finalist last year in his 18th year of eligibility and pulled one of the biggest surprises when he made the cut to 10. He is not what you’d call a favorite this year, but because he went so deep into the vote a year ago as a first-time finalist he is considered a wildcard for the Class of 2017.

Sad. The voters should get their heads out of their butts.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:32 am

Deadskins wrote:
Jacoby became a first-time finalist last year in his 18th year of eligibility and pulled one of the biggest surprises when he made the cut to 10. He is not what you’d call a favorite this year, but because he went so deep into the vote a year ago as a first-time finalist he is considered a wildcard for the Class of 2017.

Sad. The voters should get their heads out of their butts.

[-o< They right the ship in 11 days!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby gushogs » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:56 pm

I was very happy when Russ got induced, but never understood how he got in before Jacoby. In those day and I still think it is, the Redskins play in the toughest division of the NFL, for Jacoby that meant squaring off twice a year with the likes of LT, Randy White, Too tall Jones, Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Carl Banks, Leonard Marshall and many more. Also in those years the National Conference won all but one superbowl from 1982 to 1993, with 3 Redskins rings. No need to mention the Bears or 49ers D of those days.

Joe Jacoby to the HOF

HaiL,
FEDUP!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 pm

gushogs wrote:I was very happy when Russ got induced, but never understood how he got in before Jacoby. In those day and I still think it is, the Redskins play in the toughest division of the NFL, for Jacoby that meant squaring off twice a year with the likes of LT, Randy White, Too tall Jones, Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Carl Banks, Leonard Marshall and many more. Also in those years the National Conference won all but one superbowl from 1982 to 1993, with 3 Redskins rings. No need to mention the Bears or 49ers D of those days.

Joe Jacoby to the HOF

HaiL,

There are many who feel the same way, Russ was a great player! Riggins said on the radio a few weeks ago he would have put Joe in first. Wish Russ would would be a bit more vocal over the new 10 days!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:09 am

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:35 am

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:58 am

1...Day until Joe is voted in!!! He's has arrived in Houston...I'm going to have to talk to him about the company he keeps!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:49 pm

good article if you missed it yesterday from Keim/ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-red ... ll-of-fame
It's time to put Redskins great Joe Jacoby in the Hall of Fame

Let's get right to it: Joe Jacoby belongs in the Hall of Fame. The former Washington Redskins offensive tackle is a finalist for a second straight year. He apparently made a late run to get near induction last year.

Now, it needs to happen. Here's why he belongs:

He was better than Russ Grimm. OK, that's the opinion of one teammate, former center Jeff Bostic, who played with both -- and who loves both. Grimm was (rightfully) inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010. Jacoby played more years (13 to 11), made more starts (148 to 114) and played a tougher position. Grimm earned more All-Pro honors (four to two). Again: Grimm belongs in the Hall. But if he's in there, why isn't Jacoby?
Right tackle Joe Jacoby played in 19 postseason games with the Redskins. Focus on Sport/Getty Images

"This is no slight on Russ, but Joe was a better player," Bostic said. "I don't think the NFL had seen a guy like Jacoby when he came on the scene. This guy was 6-8, 330, 340 pounds. He ran a 5.1 in the 40. For a guy his size, I've never seen anyone run like he could. He was strong as an ox. The beauty of what I'm seeing this year, I'm hearing the Randy Whites, Chris Dolemans ... I'm hearing people he played against saying he needs to be in the Hall of Fame."

Here's Doleman, speaking with the Talk of Fame Sports network, when asked whether he'd choose Jacoby or fellow nominee Tony Boselli: "If I had to pick one, I would go with Joe Jacoby. Just for the simple fact that Joe Jacoby lined up against Lawrence Taylor two times a year. When he played Dallas, he always had to play either Charles Haley or one of the great defensive ends that were coming from that side of the ball.

"His works speak for themselves. This is his 19th year of eligibility, and if we don’t recognize him now, when are we going to recognize him?"

Finally, here's Charley Casserly, who found Jacoby as a scout and later became the Redskins' general manager: "It clinched it for me when Russ got in. He was certainly deserving, but Joe played against the hardest you could play. He played vs. Lawrence Taylor and Clyde Simmons. He was a great player."

His game. Jacoby wasn't just a big man. The Redskins' counter trey worked because of Grimm and Jacoby and their ability to block on the move. Though Jacoby was not quite as large as Bostic remembered -- he was actually 6-foot-7, 295 pounds (and probably inched past 300) -- he was one of the biggest players at the time. Yet, he could move.

"My quickness and footwork helped me be the player that I was," Jacoby said.

More Casserly: "He was just a bulldozer as a run-blocker. He could knock people off the ball. He could power block. It's rare when a left tackle could power block. He was a good pass-blocker with long arms and size and on the counter trey he pulled. Look at today's game and how many can power block and pull and block the outside rusher? Almost none of them can power block. It's rare."

History. This is the most confusing part. The Redskins won three Super Bowls between 1982 and 1991 and played in a fourth. They played in the NFC East during a period in which the other coaches included Bill Parcells, Tom Landry (until 1988) and then Jimmy Johnson. From the time Jacoby entered the NFL in 1981 and then left after the '93 season, teams from this division played in eight Super Bowls.

"To get out of the division was murder," Casserly said.

Yet the Redskins only have four Hall of Fame players from this era -- Grimm, Art Monk, Darrell Green and John Riggins -- and coach Joe Gibbs. In comparison, the 1970s Steelers, who won four Super Bowls in six years, have nine Hall of Fame players and coach Chuck Noll. The Steelers might have had the best run of all time with what they accomplished in that span, so it's not a direct comparison. San Francisco's successful run in the 1980s and early '90s resulted in six Hall of Famers, including coach Bill Walsh. It doesn't have to be even, of course.

However, the Redskins also won with three different quarterbacks (none of whom are in the Hall of Fame, nor should be) and three different running backs. Riggins set the Super Bowl rushing mark in his one victory; Timmy Smith -- Timmy Smith! -- broke it in his one start. Then, in the year of the third trip, the Redskins only allowed nine sacks all season.

There was one constant: the line. Jacoby was the anchor. He started all 19 playoff games the Redskins played in during his time (Grimm, by contrast, started 11 -- and none in the last two Super Bowl playoff runs).

"It's insulting that we only have one guy in the Hall of Fame," Bostic said of the line.

But that can be corrected Saturday. It's time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:04 pm

riggofan wrote:good article if you missed it yesterday from Keim/ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-red ... ll-of-fame
It's time to put Redskins great Joe Jacoby in the Hall of Fame

Let's get right to it: Joe Jacoby belongs in the Hall of Fame. The former Washington Redskins offensive tackle is a finalist for a second straight year. He apparently made a late run to get near induction last year.

Now, it needs to happen. Here's why he belongs:

He was better than Russ Grimm. OK, that's the opinion of one teammate, former center Jeff Bostic, who played with both -- and who loves both. Grimm was (rightfully) inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010. Jacoby played more years (13 to 11), made more starts (148 to 114) and played a tougher position. Grimm earned more All-Pro honors (four to two). Again: Grimm belongs in the Hall. But if he's in there, why isn't Jacoby?
Right tackle Joe Jacoby played in 19 postseason games with the Redskins. Focus on Sport/Getty Images

"This is no slight on Russ, but Joe was a better player," Bostic said. "I don't think the NFL had seen a guy like Jacoby when he came on the scene. This guy was 6-8, 330, 340 pounds. He ran a 5.1 in the 40. For a guy his size, I've never seen anyone run like he could. He was strong as an ox. The beauty of what I'm seeing this year, I'm hearing the Randy Whites, Chris Dolemans ... I'm hearing people he played against saying he needs to be in the Hall of Fame."

Here's Doleman, speaking with the Talk of Fame Sports network, when asked whether he'd choose Jacoby or fellow nominee Tony Boselli: "If I had to pick one, I would go with Joe Jacoby. Just for the simple fact that Joe Jacoby lined up against Lawrence Taylor two times a year. When he played Dallas, he always had to play either Charles Haley or one of the great defensive ends that were coming from that side of the ball.

"His works speak for themselves. This is his 19th year of eligibility, and if we don’t recognize him now, when are we going to recognize him?"

Finally, here's Charley Casserly, who found Jacoby as a scout and later became the Redskins' general manager: "It clinched it for me when Russ got in. He was certainly deserving, but Joe played against the hardest you could play. He played vs. Lawrence Taylor and Clyde Simmons. He was a great player."

His game. Jacoby wasn't just a big man. The Redskins' counter trey worked because of Grimm and Jacoby and their ability to block on the move. Though Jacoby was not quite as large as Bostic remembered -- he was actually 6-foot-7, 295 pounds (and probably inched past 300) -- he was one of the biggest players at the time. Yet, he could move.

"My quickness and footwork helped me be the player that I was," Jacoby said.

More Casserly: "He was just a bulldozer as a run-blocker. He could knock people off the ball. He could power block. It's rare when a left tackle could power block. He was a good pass-blocker with long arms and size and on the counter trey he pulled. Look at today's game and how many can power block and pull and block the outside rusher? Almost none of them can power block. It's rare."

History. This is the most confusing part. The Redskins won three Super Bowls between 1982 and 1991 and played in a fourth. They played in the NFC East during a period in which the other coaches included Bill Parcells, Tom Landry (until 1988) and then Jimmy Johnson. From the time Jacoby entered the NFL in 1981 and then left after the '93 season, teams from this division played in eight Super Bowls.

"To get out of the division was murder," Casserly said.

Yet the Redskins only have four Hall of Fame players from this era -- Grimm, Art Monk, Darrell Green and John Riggins -- and coach Joe Gibbs. In comparison, the 1970s Steelers, who won four Super Bowls in six years, have nine Hall of Fame players and coach Chuck Noll. The Steelers might have had the best run of all time with what they accomplished in that span, so it's not a direct comparison. San Francisco's successful run in the 1980s and early '90s resulted in six Hall of Famers, including coach Bill Walsh. It doesn't have to be even, of course.

However, the Redskins also won with three different quarterbacks (none of whom are in the Hall of Fame, nor should be) and three different running backs. Riggins set the Super Bowl rushing mark in his one victory; Timmy Smith -- Timmy Smith! -- broke it in his one start. Then, in the year of the third trip, the Redskins only allowed nine sacks all season.

There was one constant: the line. Jacoby was the anchor. He started all 19 playoff games the Redskins played in during his time (Grimm, by contrast, started 11 -- and none in the last two Super Bowl playoff runs).

"It's insulting that we only have one guy in the Hall of Fame," Bostic said of the line.

But that can be corrected Saturday. It's time.

=D> Yes saw that...we thought Keim might be the one who made the argument for Joe this year but Elfin didn't give it up...there was an article about him this week he is writing for some trucking mag now???

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:14 pm

I think we need to reconsider the importance of the Hall Of Fame.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:32 pm

^^^ I thought about it.

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:06 am

i'am at a losss...I know one thing, the bar for a first ballot HOFer was lowered yesterday!!

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:44 am

DEHog wrote:i'am at a losss...I know one thing, the bar for a first ballot HOFer was lowered yesterday!!

Terrell Davis gets in but Larry Brown, Terrell Owens, and Joe Jacoby still wait.

What a joke. The Hall Of Fame will never see a dime from me.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:46 am

Voters didn't do Jake any favors....Lewis, Barber, Moss and Urlacher all eligible next year!!!

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:17 am

Here's the real head scratcher from the PFHOF2017 vote...How does a kicker who did not make the first cut in 2016 leapfrog over a coach (Coyell), a safety (Lynch), and a LT (Jacoby) who were all in the top 10 of last year's voting...Did Morten Andersen kick a few more FG's this past year???

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football