3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii
Posts: 6506
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:05 am

....and it goes down as a WIN!!!!

Of course it's a meaningless game, but to escape with no major injuries (at least if Phil Davis is OK, seemed to have been able to walk it off, but didn't return) and hold off the last minute efforts and beat Coach Gruden former team, is a good thing!

Our 1s started off in their traditional SLOOOOW fashion... I don't know what it is with Kirk, and this team in general, but sob, why do we seem to always look like a crap show for the first 15minutes (at least!)?!?!?

After a penalty nullified a first down on our opening drive, we wouldn't gain one until the 2ND quarter... that's just pathetic man... our D started off looking like they did last year... crap. But, I'm glad to say they seemed to right the ship after giving up the opening TD drive. Score was 14-13 at half time, with the second td for them coming of a Kirky pick six... So the Defense gave up 7 to the opposition starters in a half. I'm OK with that, 14ppg would be an upgrade from last year by like a dozen.

Now, the run game finally got going in the second quarter, with fat rob running hard and breaking a few, as well as Thompson using his hands and speed to peel off some as well. Perine looked rough in a short yardage situation where he burst through for the first down.. having him I feel we've at least gotten a shade better then last year- and who knows maybe he can earn more and more playing time.

Kirk, well he was off to begin.. kind of settled down and hit his targets. He did suffer from 2 drops, one would've been a BIG play to Pryor.. but he also threw the dreaded pick six... ya he tried to chase him down, but ugh- yuck! I hate those! Lol
I'm hopeful these guys have gotten this yuck out of their system, and can hit the ground running vs the Fecals on opening day.

Per usual, McCoy looked like Brady vs the bungles 2s and 3s. Lol maybe not that good but sharp, confident, and accurate. Really knows the plays well, and where to go with the ball. Who who Matt Jones looked like trash, basically sealing his fate and ensures we get nothing for him as a cut day casualty instead of any kind of trade.

Some of the young guys made a splash
* DB Fish Smithson had a good int in the redzone, and made a great return nearly going yard!
*Another guy buried on the depth chart broke up the game winning pass for the bungles, which had the whole do group going nuts- again
*Spaight was in on almost every play with the backups... good depth
*Mack Brown has had kind of a silent preseason.. might be on his way out with the rook earning snaps with the first team
*Our new starter at C did OK... I think he will only improve bit it seemed like the oline struggled, even Trent! 2/3 sacks on Kirk... more hits. Hope they can improve quick, because Fletcher Cox and Co are waiting come week 1 kick off



If anyone even reads this, I'm kind of alarmed to not see Doctson and/or Allen out there today... two years worth of first round draft picks aren't even suiting up???? That hopefully is just precautions, as we NEED them both come gameday
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby oj » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:19 am

I think the INT pissed them off because after that the intensity level went up and they started looking better. Cousins has a problem laying those passes out in the flat like that, he nearly had one picked on the previous series and 2 from last weeks' game.
Breeland looks like a different player, seems like he has bulked up and playing with more attitude and confidence. I really enjoyed watching the defence come together, I was impressed and believe they will be worth watching this year.
Kelly looked great, I don't know what was different from previous games but he was super quick. Once Prior and Cousins get on the same page they'll be formidable.
Molon Labe

08 Champ
Posts: 17835
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am

It's just a pre season game - these games do not count - we'll be fine ....
this from Ryan Wilson ...
For an idea of just how inept the Washington offense has been, consider this: The first three drives ended on sacks, yielded no first downs and totaled minus-1 yards. The team's first first down came on drive No. 4 and only after Cousins ran a quarterback keeper on third and 2.
Silver lining, if you're looking for one: Things can only get better from here.
The Redskins have been a huge disappointment since 1999 - it's not getting better until Dan Snyder stops interfering
give people the authority to do their jobs and support them
'Happy Xmas, you're fired Bruce Allen' would be a good start

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 8762
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 am

I watched a good chunk of the game. It still looks like the first team offense is having trouble across the board. LG and C are (unsurprisingly) still huge concerns. I'd like to believe that in a regular season game, the team might be able to overcome a bad series or a bad quarter and get into a rhythm over the full game. But its still frustrating to see how they've looked in preseason so far.

The one thing that's kind of shocked me is that Cousins hasn't looked good at all. Not even talking about the INT, and his receivers haven't done much to help him, but he's looked really pedestrian so far. Its a big year for a guy who has bet on himself. Hope he can deliver.

I happened to watch a lot of the the 49ers/Vikings game last night. Wow. Seeing Garcon out there making catches for Hoyer... that guy was a big time security blanket for Cousins and he rarely dropped passes. I have a feeling we're going to miss him. Also noteworthy from that game was that Kyle's offense looked DAMN good. Preseason or not. Don't be surprised at all if he does for Brian Hoyer what he did for Matt Schaub.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 8762
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 am

SkinsJock wrote:It's just a pre season game - these games do not count - we'll be fine ....
this from Ryan Wilson ...
For an idea of just how inept the Washington offense has been, consider this: The first three drives ended on sacks, yielded no first downs and totaled minus-1 yards. The team's first first down came on drive No. 4 and only after Cousins ran a quarterback keeper on third and 2.
Silver lining, if you're looking for one: Things can only get better from here.


Man, those sacks were ugly too. The Bengals D is legit, no doubt. But still...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby oj » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Cousins has been there long enough that we should see him take control of the offense. He needs to show leadership, I don't see him doing that at all. When guys screw up out there Cousins should be all over them, watch QB's like Brady or Rogers and they'll let a guy know when he's screwed *sh$t* up. You don't want to incurr their wrath. At the end of a series you see Cousins at the water jug, he needs to step up and assume control. Coaching doesn't seem to be doing it, its time for him to fill that gap.
Molon Labe

**LPJ**
Posts: 6668
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 pm

oj wrote:Cousins has been there long enough that we should see him take control of the offense. He needs to show leadership, I don't see him doing that at all. When guys screw up out there Cousins should be all over them, watch QB's like Brady or Rogers and they'll let a guy know when he's screwed *sh$t* up. You don't want to incurr their wrath. At the end of a series you see Cousins at the water jug, he needs to step up and assume control. Coaching doesn't seem to be doing it, its time for him to fill that gap.


I don't think Cousins gives a rats *** since he's out next season.

Just what I think personally anyways.

If he doesn't do better in the regular season, I'll be really disappointed since I was one of the "PAY THE MAN" people.

:roll:
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

08 Champ
Posts: 17835
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:12 am

I've never been a huge Cousins fan but the Redskins should have locked this kid up a while ago

I don't think that anyone would not give everything they've got to be as good a player as they can all the time - these pre season games really don't amount to much and I'd expect to see more when the season begins - unfortunately for us the coaches and players that we have was not put together by the brightest guys (the lights may be on but NOBODY is at home) in the NFL

this season will once again come down to 7-9 wins depending on how lucky we are - the better managed franchises don't need luck
The Redskins have been a huge disappointment since 1999 - it's not getting better until Dan Snyder stops interfering
give people the authority to do their jobs and support them
'Happy Xmas, you're fired Bruce Allen' would be a good start

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 8762
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:13 am

Not sure about Docston, but I'm with Scot on Garcon.

Dan Steinberg‏Verified account @dcsportsbog 60m60 minutes ago

McCloughan predicts Josh Doctson will lead the Skins in receiving if healthy, says he wouldn't have let Garcon go
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

08 Champ
Posts: 17835
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:57 pm

riggofan wrote:Not sure about Docston, but I'm with Scot on Garcon.
Dan Steinberg‏ account @dcsportsbog 60 minutes ago
McCloughan predicts Josh Doctson will lead the Skins in receiving if healthy ... says he wouldn't have let Garcon go

I agree - a shame that we continue to see what could have been ... :roll:
The Redskins have been a huge disappointment since 1999 - it's not getting better until Dan Snyder stops interfering
give people the authority to do their jobs and support them
'Happy Xmas, you're fired Bruce Allen' would be a good start

Hog
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:30 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:....and it goes down as a WIN!!!!

Of course it's a meaningless game, but to escape with no major injuries (at least if Phil Davis is OK, seemed to have been able to walk it off, but didn't return) and hold off the last minute efforts and beat Coach Gruden former team, is a good thing!

Our 1s started off in their traditional SLOOOOW fashion... I don't know what it is with Kirk, and this team in general, but sob, why do we seem to always look like a crap show for the first 15minutes (at least!)?!?!?

After a penalty nullified a first down on our opening drive, we wouldn't gain one until the 2ND quarter... that's just pathetic man... our D started off looking like they did last year... crap. But, I'm glad to say they seemed to right the ship after giving up the opening TD drive. Score was 14-13 at half time, with the second td for them coming of a Kirky pick six... So the Defense gave up 7 to the opposition starters in a half. I'm OK with that, 14ppg would be an upgrade from last year by like a dozen.

Now, the run game finally got going in the second quarter, with fat rob running hard and breaking a few, as well as Thompson using his hands and speed to peel off some as well. Perine looked rough in a short yardage situation where he burst through for the first down.. having him I feel we've at least gotten a shade better then last year- and who knows maybe he can earn more and more playing time.

Kirk, well he was off to begin.. kind of settled down and hit his targets. He did suffer from 2 drops, one would've been a BIG play to Pryor.. but he also threw the dreaded pick six... ya he tried to chase him down, but ugh- yuck! I hate those! Lol
I'm hopeful these guys have gotten this yuck out of their system, and can hit the ground running vs the Fecals on opening day.

Per usual, McCoy looked like Brady vs the bungles 2s and 3s. Lol maybe not that good but sharp, confident, and accurate. Really knows the plays well, and where to go with the ball. Who who Matt Jones looked like trash, basically sealing his fate and ensures we get nothing for him as a cut day casualty instead of any kind of trade.

Some of the young guys made a splash
* DB Fish Smithson had a good int in the redzone, and made a great return nearly going yard!
*Another guy buried on the depth chart broke up the game winning pass for the bungles, which had the whole do group going nuts- again
*Spaight was in on almost every play with the backups... good depth
*Mack Brown has had kind of a silent preseason.. might be on his way out with the rook earning snaps with the first team
*Our new starter at C did OK... I think he will only improve bit it seemed like the oline struggled, even Trent! 2/3 sacks on Kirk... more hits. Hope they can improve quick, because Fletcher Cox and Co are waiting come week 1 kick off



If anyone even reads this, I'm kind of alarmed to not see Doctson and/or Allen out there today... two years worth of first round draft picks aren't even suiting up???? That hopefully is just precautions, as we NEED them both come gameday


I think Kirk is a scripted type of guy. He is more comfortable when he is given a set certain of plays and can rehash them in his head and practice. He has never been good at off-script type of stuff. Since there are no game planning nor scripted plays he can't get into his rhythm.

Spaight has showed up this preseason.

I don't like the running back flow at all that Gruden is doing this preseason. Guys are getting less than 5 carries. Mack Brown reallly haven't had a chance to show anything.

Hog
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:35 pm

oj wrote:I think the INT pissed them off because after that the intensity level went up and they started looking better. Cousins has a problem laying those passes out in the flat like that, he nearly had one picked on the previous series and 2 from last weeks' game.
Breeland looks like a different player, seems like he has bulked up and playing with more attitude and confidence. I really enjoyed watching the defence come together, I was impressed and believe they will be worth watching this year.
Kelly looked great, I don't know what was different from previous games but he was super quick. Once Prior and Cousins get on the same page they'll be formidable.


I think Kelly was given more room to run. So he had some holes here and there where he could hit the hole quick without hesitation.

Hog
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:36 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I've never been a huge Cousins fan but the Redskins should have locked this kid up a while ago

I don't think that anyone would not give everything they've got to be as good a player as they can all the time - these pre season games really don't amount to much and I'd expect to see more when the season begins - unfortunately for us the coaches and players that we have was not put together by the brightest guys (the lights may be on but NOBODY is at home) in the NFL

this season will once again come down to 7-9 wins depending on how lucky we are - the better managed franchises don't need luck



So why should they wrap him up if we can only muster 7-9 wins with him? No way he's better than Carr nor Stafford.

Hog
Posts: 911
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:21 pm

oj wrote:Cousins has been there long enough that we should see him take control of the offense. He needs to show leadership, I don't see him doing that at all. When guys screw up out there Cousins should be all over them, watch QB's like Brady or Rogers and they'll let a guy know when he's screwed *sh$t* up. You don't want to incurr their wrath. At the end of a series you see Cousins at the water jug, he needs to step up and assume control. Coaching doesn't seem to be doing it, its time for him to fill that gap.

08 Champ
Posts: 17835
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: 3rd preseason game vs Bungles

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:42 pm

mastdark81 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I've never been a huge Cousins fan but the Redskins should have locked this kid up a while ago

... this season will once again come down to 7-9 wins depending on how lucky we are - the better managed franchises don't need luck
So why should they wrap him up if we can only muster 7-9 wins with him? No way he's better than Carr nor Stafford.

agreed - Cousins is not as good as a number of QBs - what he's worth now is based on what's available - he could have been locked into a deal that was much better for the team but the FO did not want to

the bigger issue is not who plays or coaches here
the main problem is this franchise has not been put together or managed by anyone that has a clue

this is how Will Brinson sees this franchise - from 8/28 ...
Sorting the Preseason Pile: The 49ers look like they have the pieces in place while the Redskins look like a mess as usual
The Redskins have been a huge disappointment since 1999 - it's not getting better until Dan Snyder stops interfering
give people the authority to do their jobs and support them
'Happy Xmas, you're fired Bruce Allen' would be a good start

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football