Gruden Year 4

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Gruden Year 4

Postby mastdark81 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:42 pm

What are your expectations? I feel alot of fans are just satisfied with playoffs. To me year 3 you should be competing in the playoffs and looked at as a possible Super Bowl contender in a perfect world.

I think from an organization standpoint I think it is kinda a shame that you have went 4 years without any long term commitment at the qb position or any resources (draft) for a possible replacement.

So it ain't all on Gruden but this year my expectations for a coach in his situation, would be to win a playoff game at least.

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Gruden Year 4

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 pm

For Jay Gruden to be here next season he would have to clearly show that he's a better HC than he's clearly shown to date

after all they've gone through here, I don't think that Cousins or Gruden will want to be here next season anyway
The Redskins will never be a consistently successful franchise while Dan Snyder is so involved with 'managing'
we may have some success but there's no chance of any consistentency ... NONE!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:40 pm

mastdark81 wrote:What are your expectations? I feel a lot of fans are just satisfied with making the playoffs.

when you consider all we've been through since 1999, making the playoffs is actually exceeding most NFL pundits expectations

we know that with this owner we really don't have anyone who knows anything about the NFL and what it takes

making the playoffs is what many here consider a "winning" season even though it is very clear that the few times we've done that since 1999 has only been due to luck and not because the franchise has a plan in place for improving the roster or hiring an effective coaching staff

losing a game to the Redskins is perceived as a bad loss by most franchises

I'm just waiting for this idiot owner to realize that he will never be solely responsible for this franchise consistently making the playoffs .. EVER
The Redskins will never be a consistently successful franchise while Dan Snyder is so involved with 'managing'

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I just feel the majority of the fanbase just expect playoffs since we didnt' make it this year. In year 4 of Gruden we suppose to be challenging teams and winning playoff games.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:48 pm

mastdark81 wrote:What are your expectations? I feel alot of fans are just satisfied with playoffs. To me year 3 you should be competing in the playoffs and looked at as a possible Super Bowl contender in a perfect world.

I think from an organization standpoint I think it is kinda a shame that you have went 4 years without any long term commitment at the qb position or any resources (draft) for a possible replacement.

So it ain't all on Gruden but this year my expectations for a coach in his situation, would be to win a playoff game at least.

I'm really starting to lose faith in this leadership.

It's clear that Gruden will never establish a decent running game and is betting everything on good QB play. I think that's a mistake.
Defense, once again, looks terrible.

I'll wait until week 8 to make a proper assessment of this year's team, but frankly, I don't see strong fundamentals to be competitive in the near future.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:35 pm

I thought this was strictly a game day sub-forum.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Moved to Hogwash main...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:50 am

Grudens not the best nor is he the worst.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:10 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Grudens not the best nor is he the worst.

kind of what some of us think about this franchise - not the worst but definitely not the best - mediocre at best :twisted:

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:48 am

Seems like the Redskins are (re)building, and, yes, Snyder tore apart the organization when he bought the team, and he's been watching them rebuild ever since. I hope that the team shows some improvement over last season. Maybe an improvement someplace on defense. On offense? Gruden seems attached to passing about 2/3 of the time. Maybe that's the way the NFL is going? I don't like watching that offense, but maybe there is no choice.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 am

El Mexican wrote:It's clear that Gruden will never establish a decent running game and is betting everything on good QB play. I think that's a mistake.

This post looks really good in hindsight. I note you wrote it before the Rams game.

Completely disagree about the defense btw. They still have work to do, but they invested heavily in that side of the ball this offseason. Again, not saying they've arrived but the defense has been notably improved from last year's mess (which I admit was an incredibly low bar).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 am

This sums up my feelings about JG, he seems so overwhelmed at times, I don’t ever see him competing deep into the playoffs. After 4 years he has not improved as a game manager and my fears are that we have seen the best of JG.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:18 am

mastdark81 wrote:What are your expectations? I feel alot of fans are just satisfied with playoffs. To me year 3 you should be competing in the playoffs and looked at as a possible Super Bowl contender in a perfect world.

I definitely agree about the year 3 comment. I would still argue though that this franchise cannot be looked at as "in a perfect world". It has to be one of the must unstable franchises over the past 25 years. Snyder has constantly been blowing it up, not building any kind of base for the team through the draft. With any halfway decently run team, a new coach would have a better starting point.

I'd point to the 49ers as a good example. That team has been 8-8, 5-11, 2-14 the past three years and looked very dysfunctional along the way. I personally think if Kyle does a half decent job, he could have that team competing in the playoffs the way you've described easily in the next two or three years. He's got a pretty good roster of young, drafted players that he inherited. Not many Redskins coaches in the past two decades have walked in here able to say that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:24 am

riggofan wrote:
El Mexican wrote:It's clear that Gruden will never establish a decent running game and is betting everything on good QB play. I think that's a mistake.

This post looks really good in hindsight. I note you wrote it before the Rams game.

Completely disagree about the defense btw. They still have work to do, but they invested heavily in that side of the ball this offseason. Again, not saying they've arrived but the defense has been notably improved from last year's mess (which I admit was an incredibly low bar).

That's exactly what I'm trying to get to.

This team is schizophrenic. Under Gruden, we have never really established a clear identity. One week the defense sucks; next game, it's solid.

Same goes for the running game: it's incredibly unbalanced. We commit, sometimes, and results are great. Then it suddenly dissapears and KC throws 40+ passes in a losing effort. Again, an identity problem.

We seem like a good 8-8 team. With a few bounces that go or do not go our way we can be 10-6 or 6-10.

Not really sure if that's progress in this league during year 4 for any coach.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:02 pm

El Mexican wrote:That's exactly what I'm trying to get to.

This team is schizophrenic. Under Gruden, we have never really established a clear identity. One week the defense sucks; next game, it's solid.

Same goes for the running game: it's incredibly unbalanced. We commit, sometimes, and results are great. Then it suddenly dissapears and KC throws 40+ passes in a losing effort. Again, an identity problem.

We seem like a good 8-8 team. With a few bounces that go or do not go our way we can be 10-6 or 6-10.

Not really sure if that's progress in this league during year 4 for any coach.

That's the really damning thing about Gruden and his coaching staff: His inability to prepare the team to play. It's a coin flip to see whether an effective, competent offense or defense is going to show up.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football