2017 defense - are you believing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

2017 defense - are you believing?

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am

Its still so earlier, but I'm really encouraged by this year's defense. I thought they looked much improved in the games v. Philly and LA. In the Raiders game though, it wasn't just that they played so well... I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a Redskins defense play with that kind of attitude and swagger. The shots of Manusky and Tomsula on the sidelines had me hyped!

It looks like we've got some legit talent on defense now: Norman, Swearinger, Breeland, Gallette, Kerrigan, Jonathan Allen, Zach Brown has been an absolute monster. And the young guys - Preston Smith, Ryan Anderson, Fuller, Ioanidis, Nicholson(!?!?!?) are contributing. I actually googled the other day to find out if D Hall is still even on the team. I still don't know the answer for sure.

So what do you think? Was the Raiders game a complete fluke or is this defense finally turning a corner?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Re: 2017 defense - are you believing?

Postby ferryrich » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:45 pm

The main thing that stood out to me against the raiders was how many solo tackles were made, when in previous seasons they'd have been missed. Heck, even gang tackles weren't stopping average rushers last season.
1 more game like that and I'll start believing its a trend instead of an outlier

Hog

Postby Bishop Hammer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm pleased with the defenses last two showings but I am going to wait until the midpoint of the season, before I get my hopes up. But it looks good so far!
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:13 pm

There's something special about a DC who, watching his crew absolutely kicking azz on the field, skulking around like he's still pissed at the world...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:05 am

Countertrey wrote:There's something special about a DC who, watching his crew absolutely kicking azz on the field, skulking around like he's still pissed at the world...

Right!?!?!? I loved that, man. And it seemed like the players were bringing that from the sideline to the field. Out there playing ANGRY!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:12 am

Bishop Hammer wrote:I'm pleased with the defenses last two showings but I am going to wait until the midpoint of the season, before I get my hopes up. But it looks good so far!

I know its hard to be happy about the Eagles game because it was a loss. But they weren't bad in that game. Had an INT, kept Wentz to two TD passes, 2 sacks, 1 fumble rec and held Blount to 46 yards rushing. If I remember correctly, the Eagles offensive stats were inflated by one or two short toss/big gain type of plays. Our offense was way more at fault for that loss.

Definitely not as strong an outing as the next two weeks, but I thought at the time they looked a lot better than last year.

I'm really curious to see how they play against KC on Monday.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Wow our defense showed up on prime team! They owed us that.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:44 am

mastdark81 wrote:Wow our defense showed up on prime team! They owed us that.

Our defense has been completely AWOL since Williams left.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:57 pm

Waaayyyy early to assess this team. Let's wait until week 8.

Up to now it has been pretty much like we expected: sometimes rotten, sometimes average, and sometimes great.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:14 pm

El Mexican wrote:Waaayyyy early to assess this team. Let's wait until week 8.

I mean, you're 100% correct, but where is the fun in that? Come on, man!! Man up and take stand! You feeling the defense this year or not???? :D

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:17 am

Have been since watching DJ speak in preseason.. His swag is infectious, like STs was.. And ST loved to have people pumped around him- like Norman!
The db group is closer knit and son is the dline, and they all are serious with their agenda.

Team meetings, and then player called meetings capped with hype night at Normans house has everyone playing FOR each other... Not stats or paychecks. A blown assignment means you let your brother down, not just the "team".

Vs eagles the D put up as many points as the O... A couple of fluke scrambles barely escaping sacks resulted in miracle plays to extend or score. The D was and has been lit all year.

Big test Monday, but so was last week... I feared AcDc and beast mode more then Alex damn Smith.. Sack him often, check kelce and have Norminator get in his head- and let DJ plow Hunt a few times! Should be good!

We need the O to sustain drives and keep them fresh tho... KCs D is what I fear more then ours doing their job. Good place to check where we stand vs the #1 ranked team.

Atl is unbeaten, but should've lost last week and nearly dropped one to the bears... Taking KC down would be HUGE
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:57 pm

I am being cautious in my view of things so all I'll say right now is the defense is no longer a liability. The offense had to carry the team the last couple of seasons but so far the defense is holding up its end.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:02 pm

riggofan wrote:
El Mexican wrote:Waaayyyy early to assess this team. Let's wait until week 8.

I mean, you're 100% correct, but where is the fun in that? Come on, man!! Man up and take stand! You feeling the defense this year or not???? :D

Well, at least they make for a better game!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Vs eagles the D put up as many points as the O... A couple of fluke scrambles barely escaping sacks resulted in miracle plays to extend or score. The D was and has been lit all year.

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought that was the case too, but its hard to get at looking at stats and the final score.

Man, I hope they stay on track tonight. Tough test, and I personally think Andy Reid is one of the best coaches in the league. I'll be happy to see a good, competitive game given our history on MNF. But if they're able to pull of a win, would just be H U G E .

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:02 am

*eh* I was really impressed last week vs the Raiders.

If they show up tonight vs that Chiefs offense playing in Arrowhead on MNF will definitely make me a full believer.
Until then I'm *eh*

.. and I'm going to stay my forever negative self (with the hopes of jinxing myself thus doing the opposite) and say we're going to get smashed. :?

I know, but what's a fan to do? ? ? ?
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football