Where is the running game?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Where is the running game?

Postby El Mexican » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:17 pm

My 8-week recap after watching this team get rolled over by Dallas:
without a decent running game there's no way in hell we're competitive.

We're at 114 yards on average per game, but that number is deceiving.
Take away the game we beat the Rams (200+ rushing yards) and the average plummets.

AT THIS JUNCTURE, NO WASHINGTON PLAYER HAS RUSHED FOR MORE THAN 100 YARDS IN A GAME.

Injuries hit every team, so please don't try to justify our mediocrity with that argument.

CT, a classic third-down back, is currently our no. 1 rusher with a grand total of 213 yards. What?!
He's also our best receiver with 366 yards and most of those are YAC, by the way.

Ask me about my memories of the Jay Gruden era and I'll say that he unsuccessfully tried
to install a running back by committee every year he coached here. As much as KC can throw
40+ plus times a game, he's going nowhere without a decent rushing attack. [-X

For me, that's a ONE running back strategy that tries to get at least 100 yards every week.

Hog

Re: Where is the running game?

Postby Snout » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:29 pm

I have to agree. We have a decent defense, but the lack of running game means that our defense wears down at the end of the game. We cannot control the clock.

The games are a lot more exciting with a good passing game, but losing is still losing. And the whole offense becomes more fragile if the QB gets hurt.

Jay Gruden has improved the team a lot since when he took over, but I am skeptical whether he will ever coach us to the next level. It just ain't gonna happen without a running game, and the running game is not his priority.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:09 am

El Mexican wrote:My 8-week recap after watching this team get rolled over by Dallas:

Holy crap, man. Only in Washington do fans see our team line up with four starting o-linemen out and one starter playing on two sprained ankles and start bitching on Monday that we couldn't run the ball.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby oj » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 am

We could've had Hunt as our RB not the Chiefs'. The FO passed him up. As it is they'll ruin Thompson, he's playing his heart out but they'll beat him to death.
Molon Labe

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:03 pm

coulda, woulda, shoulda - Dan & Bruce at work & play #-o

finish this sentence - "the Redskins would be a better franchise if they .... " the most common answer would have to be ".. if Dan Snyder would just stop being so involved with everything"
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling to me that some fans think that things might improve even though Dan Snyder continues to interfere with this franchise & refuses to let it be managed like most other franchises

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Good point. I've been hearing that Scherff would have played Sunday if Snyder hadn't insisted on recommending heat-ice-heat instead of ice-heat-ice. DAMN YOU DAN.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:14 pm

riggofan wrote:
El Mexican wrote:My 8-week recap after watching this team get rolled over by Dallas:

Holy crap, man. Only in Washington do fans see our team line up with four starting o-linemen out and one starter playing on two sprained ankles and start bitching on Monday that we couldn't run the ball.

No. Please re-read my post.

The whole point of my argument is that we have not installed a respectable
running game during the entirety of the season. Every team in the NFL has to deal with injuries.
Why is it that we always fail when injuries hit us? Bad preparation.

Joe Gibbs said it best: you're only as good as your backups.

We have no identity without a running game.

Hog

Postby Snout » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:55 am

riggofan wrote:

I do not understand the logic. With four starting o-linemen out and one starter playing on two sprained ankles . . . why are we trying to pass 39 times while giving the ball to our running backs only 12 times (more than 3x more passes!!!), thereby exposing our franchise quarterback to injury when we do not have enough healthy personnel to protect him? Kirk was sacked four times. Are backup offensive linemen supposed to be better at pass protection than running the ball?

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 am

I believe we did really well considering our Oline was decimated...running or not running the ball was not the issue...how about:

1) A blocked field goal returned to our 10 -- with a weird "blocking" penalty called on Way. 10 point turnaround.
2) Dropped passes - way too many once again
3) Fumbles and Int's - can't win when losing the TO battle
4) Penalties -- hasn't anyone told Holsey that once you go out of bounds, you can't be the first to touch the ball? PLUS, there was another guy there AND the ball had stopped rolling. Also, can someone tell Gallette to look down the LOS and wait until the ball is snapped before rushing?

Doctson catches the ball down the sideline late in the game and the momentum of that game changes. That was a very catchable ball...MAKE a big play Redskins WR's!!

Hog

Postby oj » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:15 am

Anybody know why Crowder is still receiving punts? It's clear he does not have the right skills, we had Nelms and then Mitchell so Gruden has lots of history to look back at to see what he needs to have back there receiving punts.
Molon Labe

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:52 am

some of you guys aren't paying attention - there are perfectly legit reasons why things have been the way they are here ...

be patient - support the status quo - we'll see a better product on the field ... soon

Jay Gruden is the best HC we could expect to have here - Jay Cousins has never really had the opportunity to showcase his many QB skills

This really is the "halloween like" franchise of the NFL ... #horrorstory
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling to me that some fans think that things might improve even though Dan Snyder continues to interfere with this franchise & refuses to let it be managed like most other franchises

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:57 am

riggofan wrote:Good point. I've been hearing that Scherff would have played Sunday if Snyder hadn't insisted on recommending heat-ice-heat instead of ice-heat-ice. DAMN YOU DAN.

really? I'm surprised that Dan has anything to do with the team during the season .. I thought he saved all his input for the off season :twisted:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:53 am

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:Good point. I've been hearing that Scherff would have played Sunday if Snyder hadn't insisted on recommending heat-ice-heat instead of ice-heat-ice. DAMN YOU DAN.

really? I'm surprised that Dan has anything to do with the team during the season .. I thought he saved all his input for the off season :twisted:

Sick burn, bro. Killing it.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 am

fredp45 wrote:I believe we did really well considering our Oline was decimated...running or not running the ball was not the issue...how about:

1) A blocked field goal returned to our 10 -- with a weird "blocking" penalty called on Way. 10 point turnaround.
2) Dropped passes - way too many once again
3) Fumbles and Int's - can't win when losing the TO battle
4) Penalties -- hasn't anyone told Holsey that once you go out of bounds, you can't be the first to touch the ball? PLUS, there was another guy there AND the ball had stopped rolling. Also, can someone tell Gallette to look down the LOS and wait until the ball is snapped before rushing?

Doctson catches the ball down the sideline late in the game and the momentum of that game changes. That was a very catchable ball...MAKE a big play Redskins WR's!!

I'm with you, man. Hate to see the team lose and especially hate to lose to Dallas. But the fan expectations considering the circumstances are ludicrous.

I honestly figured it would be a blowout from the jump. I was really surprised to still be watching the game at halftime.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:07 am

without an O line or with one that was as severely hampered as ours was, having any chance of significantly running the ball was not something that you could game plan for - that being said this roster was not really set up to be a force in the run game even with everyone on the O line being healthy

not having a balanced offense is just another factor of "it is what it is .. " welcome to the Redskins lack of depth issues - just wait, it'll get better

when you have a QB that can put up the passing yards that Cousins and Gruden are most suited for ... that is what you are

on a slightly different note - the Eagles look to improve their run game by adding Jay Ajayi ...
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolp ... ound-pick/

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football