Where is the running game?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Where is the running game?

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 am

El Mexican wrote:Every team in the NFL has to deal with injuries.
Why is it that we always fail when injuries hit us? Bad preparation.

I just respectfully disagree with this. You don't lose pro bowl players and just continue to roll along. How are the Colts doing minus Andrew Luck? How have the Giants been without ODB? You gotta get out of your DC bubble and be aware of what's going around the entire league. The commentators point out all the time that the NFL is a war of attrition. The teams that stay healthy through the year are the ones that are playing in January.

El Mexican wrote:We have no identity without a running game.

I guess, but why is there any expectation that this team's identity should be as a power running team? You're starting Rob Kelly and four backups on the o-line. Wishing that we were the Hogs and #44 isn't going to make it so, and hope is not a plan.

The team strength going into Sunday's game was the tight ends and Chris Thompson. I thought the team came out with a pretty good plan to make use of that, and it worked for two quarters. Then Niles Paul goes out, J Reed goes out, and it is what it is.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:17 am

SkinsJock wrote:without an O line or with one that was as severely hampered as ours was, having any chance of significantly running the ball was not something that you could game plan for - that being said this roster was not really set up to be a force in the run game even with everyone on the O line being healthy

Oddly enough, I agree with what you're saying. I would argue though if Leonard Fournette was running behind our starting o-line, they'd be "a force in the run game". I like Fat Rob, but I've never been completely sold that he's the RB1 who can consistently get it done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 am

my expectations for this game were that we would be VERY lucky if we managed to pull out a victory ... especially considering the O line issues

the way the game was unfolding, with the pukes making huge mistakes through stupid penalties and not playing well, we were doing OK - the issue with the missed FG fiasco and not taking advantage of a scoring opportunity, turned things around - IF the pukes had continued to play the way they were playing and we had continued to play the way we were playing BEFORE that, the result MIGHT have been different

it's all very well to point to the O line but the play of the Skins O line and the play of the puke offense AFTER that issue was HUGE

given that both teams play to their potential, the pukes would have won anyway - given the level of play that we saw BEFORE that blocked FG, we could have pulled out a W, unlikely but possible

good teams find a way to win, even when things are going bad or they are really decimated with injuries - we are not that team - HELLO
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling to me that some fans think that things might improve even though Dan Snyder continues to interfere with this franchise & refuses to let it be managed like most other franchises

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:without an O line or with one that was as severely hampered as ours was, having any chance of significantly running the ball was not something that you could game plan for - that being said this roster was not really set up to be a force in the run game even with everyone on the O line being healthy
Oddly enough, I agree with what you're saying. I would argue though if Leonard Fournette was running behind our starting o-line, they'd be "a force in the run game". I like Fat Rob, but I've never been completely sold that he's the RB1 who can consistently get it done.

#-o - that's what I'm saying - the injuries to the O line are terrible - this offense was also hurt by not having better WR's and RBs

Pryor move was not good and not having a good RB or big FB is hurting the short yardage plays

this season there have been a number of good things about this roster and the play on the field but there remains a lot of questions about who is in charge of the bigger picture and whose plan are we using - why did we not pick up a big RB like Fournette?
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling to me that some fans think that things might improve even though Dan Snyder continues to interfere with this franchise & refuses to let it be managed like most other franchises

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:37 pm

riggofan wrote:
El Mexican wrote:Every team in the NFL has to deal with injuries.
Why is it that we always fail when injuries hit us? Bad preparation.

I just respectfully disagree with this. You don't lose pro bowl players and just continue to roll along. How are the Colts doing minus Andrew Luck? How have the Giants been without ODB? You gotta get out of your DC bubble and be aware of what's going around the entire league. The commentators point out all the time that the NFL is a war of attrition. The teams that stay healthy through the year are the ones that are playing in January.

El Mexican wrote:We have no identity without a running game.

I guess, but why is there any expectation that this team's identity should be as a power running team? You're starting Rob Kelly and four backups on the o-line. Wishing that we were the Hogs and #44 isn't going to make it so, and hope is not a plan.

The team strength going into Sunday's game was the tight ends and Chris Thompson. I thought the team came out with a pretty good plan to make use of that, and it worked for two quarters. Then Niles Paul goes out, J Reed goes out, and it is what it is.

I understand that's it's basically impossible to plan for every injury. But CT as your featured back seems ludicrous.
I consider that a planning error.

Injuries wi'll keep mounting, though.

Hog

Postby hitmandm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 pm

They do not respect Cousins to win it so the opposite teams stop the run. Look....Cousins sucks and is not a franchise QB. Look at what the 49ers did- They traded for Garappalo instead of waiting for Captain Pick to hit the FA market. Why...they know he sucks.

Also...Fat Gruden is a horrible coach.

I have been saying this here for 3 years.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:52 am

hitmandm wrote:I have been saying this here for 3 years.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:00 pm

hitmandm wrote:They do not respect Cousins to win it so teams stop the run. Cousins sucks and is not a franchise QB. the 49ers traded for Garappalo instead of waiting for Captain Pick to hit the FA market. they know he sucks. Also, Fat Gruden is a horrible coach. I have been saying this for 3 years.

most everyone with any sense knows that Jay Gruden is not a bad HC and Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB

since Dan Snyder got involved we continue to be just below mediocre and just above terrible - we are frustratingly close to being a top 15 franchise but we lack continuity and we have no master plan or anyone with any authority that knows how to rebuild an NFL roster

If Doug Williams or anyone (with any sense) were allowed to just do their jobs without any interference from Dan Snyder, it would not take much to see improvement here but if Dan Snyder is not getting all of the credit for a turnaround here, it's just not happening

Hog

Postby hitmandm » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 pm

I actually think that most smart people know they suck. Would the 49ers trade a second rounder for Garappolo when they could keep their pick and get Cousins? They passed on Cousins because even his old coach didn't want him.

And it is at least 50% that Gruden gets fired this offseason. His schemes and gameplans have taken us nowhere.

When Gruden abd Cosuins are gone....then and only then will the Redskins have some hope for the future

Hog

Postby hitmandm » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:43 pm

riggofan wrote:
hitmandm wrote:I have been saying this here for 3 years.

Haha. I wish you vision for GIFs would translate to football insights.

Did you know that scene isn't actually Tom Hanks. It is his brother.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:05 am

hitmandm wrote:Haha. I wish you vision for GIFs would translate to football insights.

I know it. Me too, man. We can't all be blessed with nuggets of insight like "fat gruden is a horrible coach" and "kirk cousins sucks". :D

hitmandm wrote:Did you know that scene isn't actually Tom Hanks. It is his brother.

hah. Is that true? Gotta look that one up.

Hog

Postby Bishop Hammer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 pm

There's nothing that can be done to improve the running game this season. The best thing to do is draft the best running back in the first, no later than second round in April. I know everyone says it's to high to nab one but Jay's history of neglecting the run throughout his career warrants it.

Part of me wishes Washington had kept Shanahan's running schemes and found a way to pair it with Gruden's passing attack. The two would have complimented each other well.
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Jay Gruden's offense is not based on having a RB that gets 100 yards every game - this offense primarily works by using the play action pass

Kirk Cousins is having a pretty good year statistically - enjoy it for what it is - each season is an adventure

hopefully we win 9 or 10 games - that's a really good season considering we looked like a 6 or 7 game winner at the outset

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Bishop Hammer wrote:There's nothing that can be done to improve the running game this season. The best thing to do is draft the best running back in the first, no later than second round in April. I know everyone says it's to high to nab one but Jay's history of neglecting the run throughout his career warrants it.

Part of me wishes Washington had kept Shanahan's running schemes and found a way to pair it with Gruden's passing attack. The two would have complimented each other well.

I agree. Unless you're NE with a healthy Brady, without a decent rushing game it will be almost impossible to remain competitive deep in the season.

It was painfully obvious during the Vikes' game. That 4 and 1 stop was painful to watch. Sadly, it has been the norm this season.

The running game has been stuck in 1st gear since Gruden got here and his pass-first offense creates teams with no soul, I'm afraid.

Hog

Postby oj » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 pm

They passed over Hunt, the Chiefs' drafted running back, for either Alexander or Moriority. That says a lot about the FO prioities.
Molon Labe

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football