Redskins at the half ...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport, RI, you're lucky enough

Redskins at the half ...

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 am

we're almost there - 3 games after being at 3-2 it's looking a lot like 3-5 at the half way point

this from Kyle Tasman yesterday ...
The NFL trade deadline has come and gone, and the Washington Redskins remained quiet throughout.

As previously reported by Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, the Redskins had retained interest in trading for a wide receiver on deadline day, however no suitable moves materialized for the team.

With NFC East rivals the Philadelphia Eagles making a splash by acquiring running back Jay Ajayi, Redskins fans had hoped that their own team would move for a player of similar quality. That would remain nothing more than a dream however, as the Redskins front office failed to address the needs of the team during a crucial stretch of the season.

With injuries mounting and the offense failing to gain much production on the perimeter, the Redskins could have bolstered their chances at claiming a Wild Card slot in the playoffs. Instead, the front office once again stayed quiet, instead deciding to roll the dice on the rest of the season instead of strengthening one of the multitude of areas that desperately needs help.

While it's unclear if any contact or attempt was made for a player, the inability to get a deal over the line will leave a sour taste in the mouth of Redskins fans, who for too long have been put through the gauntlet by a front office that seemingly has everything but winning as their top priority.

The fans deserve better, and that's been the case for the last decade.
how is it possible to strengthen even "one of the multitude of areas that desperately need help" by the same people that caused this to happen in the first place :shock:

are you kidding me - after what we've seen on the field recently and what has happened injury wise the Redskins are not even close to making a run at the playoffs

"we'll be OK next season" time is almost here
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

Hog

Re: Redskins at the half ...

Postby El Mexican » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:36 am

Clean slate seems very likely for next season.

There's not a single area where the team looks good. None. One injury to the unit and it's basically useless (OL, DL, LB, RB, TE, QB, DB).

Paper- thin depth and lack of talent all-around . Again, as I have said, this is a planning mistake.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm

El Mexican wrote:Clean slate seems very likely for next season.

There's not a single area where the team looks good. None. One injury to the unit and it's basically useless (OL, DL, LB, RB, TE, QB, DB).

Paper- thin depth and lack of talent all-around . Again, as I have said, this is a planning mistake.

I don't know I think our roster is decent. No team have depth like they would like. At the end of the day it comes down to star players playing better than the star players on the other teams. You can be surrounded by a bunch of average guys if we have hall of famers on the team...which we don't. That is my whole thing with Kirk Cousins. He is a good quarterback but I feel you need a top 5-8 guy to win you a Super Bowl. Will he be that in a few years? I doubt it b/c young guys keep coming in the league and hopscotching over him (Dak, Wentz, possibly Watson).

We also don't have that top 5-8 defense neither, nor top special teams unit.

The bigger question is after year 4 of Jay Gruden and year what 6??? of Bruce Allen why we are not considered a playoff contender? Those guys are not getting the job done.

Hog

Postby hitmandm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:40 pm

A clean slate is an 80% chance right now.

It is very telling that the 49ers traded a 2nd rounder for Garappolo instead of FAing Captain Pick. Captain Pick is a choking joke of a fake franchise QB and needs to be somewhere else ASAP.

Gruden is a stupid fat Arena League Coach. He needs to go back to the Arena League because this is the NFL and he doesn't have what it takes to be here.

They both should be gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if after Gruden gets fired, they bring back RG3 as a stop gap until we develop another drafted QB. Gruden ran RG3 into a tree and then convinced Redskins fans he wasn't good enough- as if we all don't remember 2012. I feel that Danny will throw RG3 a lifeline and draft a QB to develop. Hopefully they do not draft a QB who has the yips and cannot rise up under pressure.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:56 pm

hitmandm wrote:It is very telling that the 49ers traded a 2nd rounder for Garappolo instead of FAing Captain Pick. Captain Pick is a choking joke of a fake franchise QB and needs to be somewhere else ASAP.

Captain Pick? Seriously? We're still sticking with that tired crap? Here's all 18 QBs who have more than Kirk's 4 INTs this year:

Kizer
Newton
Siemian
Roethlisberger
Dalton
Flacco
Watson
McCown
Palmer
Carr
Rivers
Ryan
Winston
Bortles
Cutler
Glennon
Manning
Wentz

Through seven games he has as many picks as Brees, Goff, Mariotta, Prescott, Stafford and Wilson.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 am

El Mexican wrote:Clean slate seems very likely for next season.

[-X
Actually, the team looks good in several areas, despite multiple (not one), significant injuries to several units.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:40 am

I don't see a huge roster turnover either PLUS we have some really good coaching by Callahan, Munusky and Tomsula, especially when you consider the injuries

HUGE win for the franchise to go to 4-4 and steal a win against the hated Seahawks
The Redskins franchise has been a mess since 1999 - it's baffling that some here think that things might improve while the franchise continues to be mismanaged - this idiot owner has no clue about the NFL

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 am

SkinsJock wrote:I don't see a huge roster turnover either PLUS we have some really good coaching by Callahan, Munusky and Tomsula, especially when you consider the injuries

So petty to write stuff like this. Like Gruden had nothing to do with this team's success.

The o-line wasn't good at all Sunday btw. We ran for 51 yards, couldn't move the ball and gave up six sacks. I give Bill Callahan credit for patching that group together, but it wasn't exactly coaching wizardry at work on the line. The team gritted through it, defense kept them in the game, Cousins didn't turn the ball over and made just enough plays to get the win.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Looks like we have a DC.

Scot's board was good to us this past draft - glad we are so deep at corner.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:38 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I don't see a huge roster turnover either PLUS we have some really good coaching by Callahan, Munusky and Tomsula, especially when you consider the injuries
So petty to write stuff like this. Like Gruden had nothing to do with this team's success.

The o-line wasn't good at all Sunday btw. We ran for 51 yards, couldn't move the ball and gave up six sacks. I give Bill Callahan credit for patching that group together, but it wasn't exactly coaching wizardry at work on the line. The team gritted through it, defense kept them in the game, Cousins didn't turn the ball over and made just enough plays to get the win.

this is more about the big picture than the last game - btw Cousins QBR was not great - finding a way to be 4-4 instead of 3-5 is really great but we did steal this win from a hated rival that rarely loses to teams it should beat at home - the effort from everyone (including Cousins and Gruden) was really about finding a way to win a game - that doesn't happen much the past 10 years

at the halfway point, despite the injuries, Callahan, Manusky & Tomsula are demonstrating what can happen when you have good coaching

Cousins is proving, that the FO made a big mistake not signing him to a LTD earlier

Jay Gruden is showing that he's possibly the best HC we can expect given the 2 bozos in charge

onward we go and hopefully we find a way to steal a couple more W's PLUS win the games we should win

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:11 am

SkinsJock wrote:onward we go and hopefully we find a way to steal a couple more W's PLUS win the games we should win

I see the Vikings are starting Case Keenum this weekend. I don't know that this is a game we SHOULD win. (The Vikings are still a 6-2 team.) But I agree with your sentiment, and this is a home game that we really need to win to keep pace in the NFC.

As far as Gruden goes, I'll just say that was two weeks in a row where he (and his coaching staff) had an undermanned, underdog team ready to play. They had a good plan going into that Cowboys game, they were in that game up until the blocked FG. That was much more of a game than I expected personally. I thought they had a good plan going into the Seattle game too, and that week it worked out for them. I hope they can keep it going.

btw did I mention how glad I was to see D Hall back on the field last weekend? That was awesome.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Keim today:
Redskins TE Jordan Reed, G Brandon Scherff, WR Jamison Crowder, TE Niles Paul, C Spencer Long, G Shawn Lauvao all are going through individual drills. All did not play Sunday.

Fingers crossed.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 am

let's not forget, there are 8 games to go
it's been a bit of a roller coaster recently with the team looking really good and then dealing with major hits on the injury front - we were 3-2 and then 3-4 ... PLUS - looking at 2 games we are most likely losing - now we're at 4-4 with a decent shot at being 5-4 ...

this coming Sunday is suddenly looking good because we're facing a Vikings squad with Case Keenum instead of Sam Bradford and the real chance of winning 2 games that we probably should not have won, all things considered

I'm kind of hopeful that we can take this game - this is a much better defense than Seattle - on the other side, this Viking offense is not as good with Case Keenum - Keenum is not doing terribly but the Vikings are much better with Bradford

winning this game would give us a really good shot at going 6-2 for the next 8 = 10-6 :D

HEY! - 5-3 for the next 8 would not be bad [-o<

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am

SkinsJock wrote:HEY! - 5-3 for the next 8 would not be bad [-o<

Don't do it, man. Don't start looking ahead! :D

Seems like Sunday could be a real defensive slog. D was so good against Seattle. Could make a big difference for us if they can get after Keenum.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:02 am

Case Keenum had a career best day but Kirk Cousins is putting together a nice statistical season

it's onto the Saints at home and while they're on a win streak, they're not that good - after beating the Seahawks in Seattle, we can win this

not long ago we won 7 in a row to close out the season, maybe it's time for another run :lol:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football