Boswell says Cousins is as good as gone

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Boswell says Cousins is as good as gone

Postby welch » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:43 am

Boswell writes:

The best thing about the Washington Redskins the past three seasons has been Kirk Cousins. Not just his emergence as one of the top dozen quarterbacks in the NFL, but his dignity while playing for a franchise that has stripped the dignity of almost every visible employee of the Dan Snyder era.

On Saturday night, leaving a movie, a friend who’s a longtime fan of the team remarked how much he has enjoyed Cousins play, his leadership and his personality.

“Then enjoy his last five games in Washington,” I said.

“You think he’s going to leave?” my friend asked.

“He’s long gone,” I replied.

That’s read-the-tea-leaves movie-chitchat talk, the kind of speculation that followers of this team have constantly. But sometimes what you really believe, and in your sportswriter bones just know is true, bubbles up and unexpectedly comes out of your mouth. I’d be shocked (but pleased) if Cousins is back in 2018 and flabbergasted if he signs a long-term deal that prevents him leaving after 2018.

In the past week, Cousins has made three public comments that tip off his true state of mind. Last year his famous “How do you like me now?” scream (as he rubbed the general manager’s head) foreshadowed the true state of non-negotiations between the proud Cousins and his he’s-not-all-that-good bosses. We’re there again. Cousins’s recent comments have “Goodbye” under every word.

The rest of the column is at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/e ... 8da1478d84

Hog

Re: Boswell says Cousins is as good as gone

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:16 am

lol. I won't be surprised by anything that happens next year. But that is seriously one of the dumbest, most unconvincing columns I've read on the subject recently (which is saying a lot considering some of the nonsense that Ian Rapoport spews constantly).

His first "read the tea leaves" example is that Kirk criticized the turf at Fedex field recently. I mean, would YOU criticize your home field turf and still accept the biggest QB contract ever from the team next year???? hahah.

This just reminds me btw how much I am dreading another off season of Kirk Cousins contract talk. We'll probably end up with Case Keenum or a broke down Eli Manning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 am

There are only two ways Cousins is back…Franchise tag or the Skins matching an offer via the transition tag.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am

DEHog wrote:There are only two ways Cousins is back…Franchise tag or the Skins matching an offer via the transition tag.

Yeah and I don't think either of those options is wildly unlikely. Do you?

Honestly, nothing will surprise me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 am

not much we all can do except enjoy watching Kirk Cousins play the next 5 games - he's clearly shown the NFL and the NFL fans how bad this franchise is managed by not making sure the most important position on your franchise was secure for years to come - there's a chance that Cousins could be playing here but there's no possibility of this franchise being given any credibility with this owner managing things

I remember thinking, in 1999, how great it was that a Redskins fan had been able to put together a deal to own the franchise and now we see what can happen when someone does not know what they're doing and refuses to learn anything from all his mistakes

so, I plan to enjoy the rest of this season before Dan screws things up .... again
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 am

riggofan wrote:
DEHog wrote:There are only two ways Cousins is back - Franchise tag or the Skins matching an offer via the transition tag.

it would surprise me a lot, if we were to do things that might help improve this franchise
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 am

Skins would be a fool to either tag or franchise Cousins after this year. That was their mistake in the first place placing the franchise on him and giving him leverage. They should offer him the max they would sign him for in the negotiating period and allow him to hit free agency if he doesn't sign.

The great franchises do alot of things but would have never allowed this much leverage to one player. It has to stop somewhere. My guess is we miss the playoffs and they think the very same about him as they have before (Good quarterback not a super bowl winning qb).

Only way he stays is if we go to the playoffs. I think winning 6 in a row would suffice. Originally thought winning a playoff game but with the injuries, 6 in a row should be good enough for brass. We actually should be able to as well.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am

riggofan wrote:
DEHog wrote:There are only two ways Cousins is back…Franchise tag or the Skins matching an offer via the transition tag.

Yeah and I don't think either of those options is wildly unlikely. Do you?

No not at all...I think they are more likely than not. I don't see him signing long term here...If reports are true that the Skins need the next 5 games to make a decision...I can't blame him!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Yep, no way he returns here next season, barring a SB appearance.

Hog

Postby hitmandm » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 pm

Good. Cousins sucks. We need to try and get something back for wasting money on a fake pick throwing QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:55 am

hitmandm wrote:Good. Cousins sucks. We need to try and get something back for wasting money on a fake pick throwing QB
Cousins is clearly a good NFL QB

not sure I understand how the Redskins "get something back" for Cousins ...

Hog

Postby hanburgerheel » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:59 pm

I don't care if he stays or goes. He's certainly not irreplaceable. If he stays, that's great. I never expect anything except just below mediocre with the entire organization.

Bruce Allen is where he is because his father was a good coach 47 years ago.

Hog

Postby hitmandm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 pm

Clearly Cousins is not a good NFL QB. He racks up YAC yardage and chokes with picks, fumble and inability to win against winning teams.

We transition tag Captain Pick and get someone to trade for his rights

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:43 am

Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB according to almost everyone that has a clue about this game - I hope that dumb and dumber sign him to a long term deal - we are a horror show and are not getting a whole lot better in the near future - the most important position is QB and hopefully we find a way to sign him to a LTD

Hog

Postby oj » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am

Cousins has all the right stats, the numbers are very impressive. I just don't see his leadership skill on the field, the ability of a great QB to elevate the skills of those around him. They just won't get to the next level, this is as good as it gets. To improve the team a killer RB was needed to start the season, that would have taken the weight off Cousins but management refused to see the obvious. And they'll refuse to see the obvious next January, management is reacting to problems on the field instead of anticipating and dealing with things before they happen.
Molon Labe

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football