Boswell says Cousins is as good as gone

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Re: Boswell says Cousins is as good as gone

Postby welch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 pm

DEHog wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Honestly, at this point I'm not going to be too sad over Cousins leaving. He's lost some of his negotiating leverage after a sub-par year, but so many teams are desperate for a starting QB that someone is going to give him a record-breaking contract. I hope we're not the team to do it.

It looks to me like Cousins has been holding back these past few weeks. Not putting everything on the line to win, just doing what the coaches ask him to do — and if it doesn't work out, oh well, he still goes home to a $25 million paycheck for the year and the prospect of making much more soon. I see a lack of a killer instinct, and just a bit less competitiveness. I do not expect him to go out and lead a game-winning drive with grit and determination. Something is missing.

He just seems content with what he has and what he's likely to get. IMHO. And for that I do not want this franchise to break the bank. While I wish he was our franchise QB and signed to a long-term deal already, I'm afraid we missed the window to make it happen in a reasonable way. So let him walk to San Fran (or wherever). I don't see him going there and suddenly becoming a top-5 QB who wins in the clutch.

I agree with everything…except I could see him going elsewhere and having great success in the right system….i.e, Like Goff with McVay. I could see him in Jacksonville, or Minnesota. If I’m the Skins I’m going to get something in return via trade...The stuff coming out about him is interesting, makes me think the Skins are trying to drive the price down to retain him??

Cousins has done well this season, with no receivers, backups and third-stringers on the OL, no running attack. Watch some of the other QB's and compare. The Redskins ownership and management have ignored Cousins, insulted him, leaked stories that he "can't lead the Redskins to a Super Bowl". The Snyder ownership can be trusted to smear anyone...the one thing they are good at.

Why should Cousins stay in Washington if he can play somewhere else? If he signs with the Jets or Giants, it's likely that the GM will remember that his name is "Kirk", rather than "Curt".

(Yes, it is as easy to despise Snyder as it was to despise George Preston Marshall. NOTE: I've been reading a selection of columns by Shirley Povich. Those that cover GP Marshall are knock-down astonishingly great. There was the time in the 1940s when Marshal sued Povich about...)

Hog

Postby hanburgerheel » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:28 pm

I just don't believe that Cousins is so phenomenal that he's irreplaceable... he's not. He's not Brady, or Roethlisberger, or Manning or even Wentz. He's decent. He throws his usual head-scratcher INT at least once a game. He's not getting much help from that crappy coach we have. I'd much rather see Jay Gruden get tossed-aside because that is inevitable. Gruden has peaked.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:39 pm

hanburgerheel wrote:I just don't believe that Cousins is so phenomenal that he's irreplaceable... he's not. He's not Brady, or Roethlisberger, or Manning or even Wentz. He's decent. He throws his usual head-scratcher INT at least once a game. He's not getting much help from that crappy coach we have. I'd much rather see Jay Gruden get tossed-aside because that is inevitable. Gruden has peaked.

I think the Redskins should start Colt McCoy for the rest of the season...just to see if Colt has grown into an NFL QB. Cousins will be gone soon. If this is tryout season, test all the players. Sit Perine, Vernon Davis, Kerrigan, a few others who are known good. Send Williams for surgery now, so he can begin recovery.

This is evaluate-and-build time. Which players are foundation and the posts from which others can be attached?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 am

All this disrespect talk is laughable.. 32 other teams passed on him what 4 times?? More?
He got his shots here.. Sucked got benched, earned it back and got rewarded as a starter. Hes also been paid handsomely the last few tag years... And further, had what a 120 million dollar contract on the table in June???

Respect goes both ways. Shred the pukes twice a year like Rgiii did his rookie year and win over the fans. But no, subdued Kirk is quite OK the bench and doesn't have the gusto of a Brady Rodgers or Stafford.
Thats his character. Cool. But if you won't make the players around you better, then YOU must be much better... And he is not. He's average to decent most games, but makes some baaad mistakes usually costly.

If he had the bravado of Baker Mayfield, his current size, and the will to win like Brady... Id follow him to another team, maybe. Instead, if he bounces deuces, been a gutless wonder here for to long breaking my soul anyhow.

Give me Baker, and build around him for a fraction of the price and x10000000 more balls
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:08 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:All this disrespect talk is laughable.. 32 other teams passed on him what 4 times?? More?
He got his shots here.. Sucked got benched, earned it back and got rewarded as a starter. Hes also been paid handsomely the last few tag years... And further, had what a 120 million dollar contract on the table in June???

Respect goes both ways. Shred the pukes twice a year like Rgiii did his rookie year and win over the fans. But no, subdued Kirk is quite OK the bench and doesn't have the gusto of a Brady Rodgers or Stafford.
Thats his character. Cool. But if you won't make the players around you better, then YOU must be much better... And he is not. He's average to decent most games, but makes some baaad mistakes usually costly.

If he had the bravado of Baker Mayfield, his current size, and the will to win like Brady... Id follow him to another team, maybe. Instead, if he bounces deuces, been a gutless wonder here for to long breaking my soul anyhow.

Give me Baker, and build around him for a fraction of the price and x10000000 more balls

Valid points but what does getting passed over have anthing to do with...How many teams passed on two of the eamples you gave...Brady/Rodgers...
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Of what relevance are draft day assessments? What a guy did in college, high school middle school and grade school are irrelevant. What counts, the only thing that should count is how has he done since he got the starting job. Anyone who doesn't understand that Kirk has performed brilliantly in his first 3 years as a starter just doesn't understand football. I don't understand opera, ballet, curling, and a whole lot of other human pursuits so I can understand that some people don't understand football, and especially so the complex quarterback position. To my credit I freely acknowledge the limits of my knowledge on these other subjects, alas Kirk Cousins critics still speak.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 pm

OldSchool wrote:Of what relevance are draft day assessments? What a guy did in college, high school middle school and grade school are irrelevant. What counts, the only thing that should count is how has he done since he got the starting job. Anyone who doesn't understand that Kirk has performed brilliantly in his first 3 years as a starter just doesn't understand football. I don't understand opera, ballet, curling, and a whole lot of other human pursuits so I can understand that some people don't understand football, and especially so the complex quarterback position. To my credit I freely acknowledge the limits of my knowledge on these other subjects, alas Kirk Cousins critics still speak.

This is true. It's also true that he has been incredibly inconsistent.

At this juncture we still don't know how much of a product of Gruden's system he is.
And it's no coincidence that while KC's stats have been impressive, the running game has plummeted.

What's his W-L record, again? 24-29-1 (probably about two or three more wins when he came in after mid-game injuries to RGIII)

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:14 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:All this disrespect talk is laughable.. 32 other teams passed on him what 4 times?? More?

No, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder did not offer Cousins $120 million. We discussed that last summer, after the Post published two articles analyzing it. Part of the "offer" was the tag money that Cousins was to make in 2017. The 2018 salary was what Cousins might have made under another tag. The rest was not guaranteed. There was injury insurance, but not a full guarantee.

According to reporting from The Washington Post’s Mike Jones, Washington’s May contract proposal — essentially five new years added onto his 2017 franchise-tag salary — didn’t fully guarantee Cousins anything beyond the 2018 season. Allen merely took the $23.9 million that Cousins was going to play for anyway this season under the franchise tag and added something close to the potential $28.7 million transition tag that Washington has considered placing on Cousins for 2018. After that, there were no full guarantees, only protection against injury, for the last four years of the deal. In addition, his non-guaranteed base salaries would go down every year, a time in which the 28-year-old Cousins will be in his prime.

From Cousins’s perspective, the offer didn’t warrant a response because it clearly was an inferior offer based on the leverage he has in this exploding NFL quarterback market. Think about it like this: When he signed the franchise-tag offer sheet, Cousins knew he’d make $23.9 million. Then, for the next five years, Allen was offering him about $29 million guaranteed. Even if you made the injury guarantees into full guarantees, the commitment would just be $48 million over the five years after the 2017 season. That’s an interesting, franchise-friendly starting offer. But it’s not something that Cousins was going to sign. And it’s so far from a realistic closing deal that it wasn’t even worth a response from Cousins’s agent, Mike McCartney.

The silence from Cousins’s side, which Allen referenced in his statement, was a polite way of expressing, “Get real, dude.”

Instead, Allen pouted and tried to deceive the public.

[Bruce Allen says Kirk Cousins camp wasn’t responsive ‘despite repeated attempts’]

So much for a Cousins contract not being “as complicated as everyone wants to make it.” That’s how Allen spun the situation in February. Five months later, a critical negotiating period has passed; there is no deal for a second straight offseason; and the truth of summer has withered all winter optimism.

Unlike a year ago, when Cousins was first tagged, this is no longer a process to verify Cousins’s talent after a career year. This is no longer a situation that Washington has under control, either. No, it isn’t as complicated as everyone wants to make it; it’s more complicated than anyone could imagine. And Allen’s silly, face-saving attempt only made matters worse.

Full story at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... 150aafc917

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:58 am

welch wrote:

No, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder did not offer Cousins $120 million. We discussed that last summer, after the Post published two articles analyzing it. Part of the "offer" was the tag money that Cousins was to make in 2017. The 2018 salary was what Cousins might have made under another tag. The rest was not guaranteed. There was injury insurance, but not a full guarantee.

According to reporting from The Washington Post’s Mike Jones, Washington’s May contract proposal — essentially five new years added onto his 2017 franchise-tag salary — didn’t fully guarantee Cousins anything beyond the 2018 season. Allen merely took the $23.9 million that Cousins was going to play for anyway this season under the franchise tag and added something close to the potential $28.7 million transition tag that Washington has considered placing on Cousins for 2018. After that, there were no full guarantees, only protection against injury, for the last four years of the deal. In addition, his non-guaranteed base salaries would go down every year, a time in which the 28-year-old Cousins will be in his prime.

From Cousins’s perspective, the offer didn’t warrant a response because it clearly was an inferior offer based on the leverage he has in this exploding NFL quarterback market. Think about it like this: When he signed the franchise-tag offer sheet, Cousins knew he’d make $23.9 million. Then, for the next five years, Allen was offering him about $29 million guaranteed. Even if you made the injury guarantees into full guarantees, the commitment would just be $48 million over the five years after the 2017 season. That’s an interesting, franchise-friendly starting offer. But it’s not something that Cousins was going to sign. And it’s so far from a realistic closing deal that it wasn’t even worth a response from Cousins’s agent, Mike McCartney.

The silence from Cousins’s side, which Allen referenced in his statement, was a polite way of expressing, “Get real, dude.”

[Bruce Allen says Kirk Cousins camp wasn’t responsive ‘despite repeated attempts’]

So much for a Cousins contract not being “as complicated as everyone wants to make it.” That’s how Allen spun the situation in February. Five months later, a critical negotiating period has passed; there is no deal for a second straight offseason; and the truth of summer has withered all winter optimism.

Unlike a year ago, when Cousins was first tagged, this is no longer a process to verify Cousins’s talent after a career year. This is no longer a situation that Washington has under control, either. No, it isn’t as complicated as everyone wants to make it; it’s more complicated than anyone could imagine. And Allen’s silly, face-saving attempt only made matters worse.

If you don't understand that Cousins has been brilliant you just don't understand the game in my opinion, and I can't help you.

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:59 am

welch wrote:

If you don't understand that Cousins has been brilliant you just don't understand the game in my opinion, and I can't help you.

08 Champ
Location: New England - Red Sox & Patriots - how great is that

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:47 pm

I don't understand and I don't think it deserved to be posted twice either

Kirk Cousins should have been signed to a long term deal but it did not happen and while he's worth a lot of money, he's not worth the money he's going to get ... AND, even if we were to keep him here, there's no way that he's going to suddenly become a QB that finds a way to win

Cousins is just a really good NFL QB, he's also a great stats QB but he's certainly not driven to find a way to win games like most elite QBs
This franchise is not getting better with the current people in charge - we need to do everything differently - the NFL has evolved and we're not adapting to what is working in today's NFL

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:49 am

*Approved Spam Message :mrgreen: *

THE HOGS DOT NET PLAYOFF WEEK 1 RESULTS (NFL Week 14)

#1 Laughing Hyenas 175.93 -v- #8 NeSsDank 182.03
#2 Pot Roasted 145.75 -v- #7 Deadskins 163.07
#3 LPJ (yaaay, go LPJ!) 176.77 -v- #6 DC-Ru 157.18
#4 HH..Thn..rookie 108.20 -v- #5 the LTI 183.77

PLAYOFF WEEK 2 MATCHUPS (NFL Week 15)

#3 LPJ (go LPJ go!) -v- #8 NeSsDank
#8 the LTI -v- #5 Deadskins
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 & '17 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football