the Redskins - with 4 games to go ...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

the Redskins - with 4 games to go ...

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:53 am

we were 4-4 at the half and had the most difficult schedule in the NFL for the first 12 games - brutal - the list of injured players is made worse because it includes so many key players ... we're at 5-7 and while we could end up 9-7, even 8-8 should be looked at as an achievement

this from T Boswell ... "When your entire vision of your universe is utterly distorted, you make horrid decisions. For example, you worry that if you sign Cousins, one of the dozen best quarterbacks in the NFL and maybe one of the six or eight best, to a long-term, Stafford-like contract that costs $130 million, you will not have enough salary cap room left to “contend for a title.” This is insanity. You sign Cousins, if you still can, because you haven’t had a quarterback who ranked as highly in passing yardage and quarterback rating over a three-year period . . . ever. You don’t make nonsensical projections about how that impacts your Super Bowl chances. YOU HAVE NO SUPER BOWL CHANCES. Not until you are a whole lot better. Cousins is essential to “better,” even if that is a five-year period when you are “only” 40-40 or 45-35. You break your back to sign him, do your best to cope with the cap and draft like hell. And hope.

You can’t build a plausible future until you have a sane view of your past and present. Seen in proper context, the previous two years of 9-7 and 8-7-1 with Cousins and Gruden in the two most important jobs were major progress toward escaping Joke Team status. This 5-7 season, with a couple of more wins a possibility, continues that climb to We Really Are Finally Mediocre, especially when you factor in the worst injury blight in my lifetime of watching this team ... "

it's difficult enough to imagine improving this franchise under dumb and dumber but if we can improve to being a franchise that ranks in the #15-#20 range, we're certainly getting better ... that's something, I guess :roll:
Hopefully 2018 is the end of the frustration we have had here since 1999 - 'we'll be better next year' SUCKS - we have added some good young players - we need to change the losing culture of the past 5 seasons - our record of 31-48 is horrible

Skins History Buff

Re: the Redskins - with 4 games to go ...

Postby welch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:48 pm

Yes, Boswell has it exactly right.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:06 am

Trash.. we're trash.

From up-top to the dag-gone bottom.
Losing to the cowboys for me is the worstestest.

TRASH!
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 & '17 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:22 am

^^ agreed - for a couple of years, everyone and anyone associated with the Redskins should be measured by how we do against the Cowboys on the field - it's simple - wins and losses is the #1 criteria and effort/performance is the #2 criteria - then, after we clearly see improvement against this bunch of misfits, we can move on to worrying about how we play against everyone else

this franchise has not played anywhere close to their potential against the pukes in recent years - heads should roll .... and soon
Hopefully 2018 is the end of the frustration we have had here since 1999 - 'we'll be better next year' SUCKS - we have added some good young players - we need to change the losing culture of the past 5 seasons - our record of 31-48 is horrible

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm hoping for 8-8. Pretty much sums up the entire Gruden tenure.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:35 pm

El Mexican wrote:I'm hoping for 8-8. Pretty much sums up the entire Gruden tenure.

I'm hoping for 7 - 9, and 8 - 8 would be a treat. The Redskins are a bad organization. What should they do in the off-season? So many holes to fill...it feels like 1959.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm

at the beginning of the season I was hoping for 8-8 or 9-7 ... actually, I thought we might win 10 after 7 games

we're not that good and considering all that has happened, 7 or 8 wins is really pretty good

I really hope that we finish up well ... we have no reason to expect anything more than 8 wins each season - that's who we are

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 am

welch wrote:
El Mexican wrote:I'm hoping for 8-8. Pretty much sums up the entire Gruden tenure.

I'm hoping for 7 - 9, and 8 - 8 would be a treat. The Redskins are a bad organization. What should they do in the off-season? So many holes to fill...it feels like 1959.

Yep, way too many mistakes made years ago.

Just yesterday I read an article on the WP that says that 20 of this year's players are Unrestricted Free Agents.

So here we go again. Expect a massive roster overhaul during the coming months.

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:57 am

You can’t build a plausible future until you have a sane view of your past and present. Seen in proper context

reminds me of a great quote by Jesse Ventura - those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it!

Perhaps the owners need to start paying more attention to the fans than their own ego's to avoid future disasters during the season
I'M AM LUCIFER THE DEVIL IN THE FLESH

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am

TexasCowboy wrote:Perhaps the owners need to start paying more attention to the fans than their own ego's to avoid future disasters during the season

oh god no, man. Snyder spent YEARS doing things that would please the fans. What the hell do the fans know?

Our particular owner needs smart football people making decisions in the front office. I'm not sure if we have that or not. There's definitely a lot of evidence in the NO column.

This has been such a weird season, and its disappointed me in unexpected ways. I'll be honest, I expected the offense to take a step back and didn't see much hope for a big improvement on D. Both ended up better than I expected, but not good enough somehow to win enough games? Not sure what to think now, but I'm kind of with LPJ that the Dallas loss was a massive amount of suck. I usually enjoy watching the team no matter what, but that loss has really sucked the fun out of the rest of the season for me.

I would add that facing another long off season of "what will they do with Kirk?" makes me want to puke.

I think at this point, my only hope for enjoying football any more this season would be to see Philadelphia knocked out of the playoffs in their first game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:07 pm

the loss to the pukes last Thanksgiving (2016) was the killer for me - that made me realize that I can only hope that the team can find a way to get lucky each week because the roster is not put together by anyone with a plan or much knowledge about how important it is to identify the players that fit what the coaches want to do and also to have decent depth - when a franchise is (according to reports) 'using the final 4 games to evaluate Kirk Cousins and what to do with him', you've got trouble ... with a capital T

the players & coaches this season really surprised me with their effort - we are not that good but we played above what most expected

I'm not looking forward to the off season much either as the past 18 seasons have indicated there's not much reason to expect anything good

This is the reality, I just hope we get lucky this week and every week

why would any player or coach want to work with anyone that had anything to do with what happened with the QB situation here

this franchise is still a joke and it looks like we'll keep that status for some time

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 pm

I know we could've lost 'em all or won 'em all.

The two that come to mind that we really should've won are ...

KC - we exposed them to the rest of the league and all we needed was for Josh to hold on to a ball he had firmly held with both hands before he went to break his fall.

Saints - led by 15 with how much time left ?

Any others ?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:34 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I know we could've lost 'em all or won 'em all. The two that come to mind that we really should've won are ...

KC - we exposed them to the rest of the league and all we needed was for Josh to hold on to a ball he had firmly held with both hands before he went to break his fall.

Saints - led by 15 with how much time left ?

Any others ?

that's the thing - in the past 3 seasons there have been 4-5 games that we should not have lost

sure, there have been games like the Seattle game that we've won - win some, lose some! but we seem to have too may heartbreakers

Hog

Postby Snout » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 pm

I disagree with Boswell. It makes no sense to pay $130 Million to one guy unless he sprinkles magic dust on everyone else and turns average players into superstar playmakers. Setting aside the numbers, I am not sure Cousins falls into that category. Even if you pay out the big money, there is a chance that your $130 Million guy goes down. What then? Teams need depth. This year's injury list is proof of that. Even though Cousins has managed to stay healthy, the rest of the team has not. If you are thinking about paying one guy $130 Million, you better be able to protect him. I am not sure the Redskins can do that.

Personally I liked the team better when we had a boring run-first offense and were stronger on the defensive side of the ball. But that's just me.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:43 pm

When you have a QB that makes your franchise better, you do whatever it takes to keep him

we do not have a FO that makes good decisions AND there is no way that Kirk Cousins is going to want to be here

anyone that thinks this franchise is going to suddenly start making good decisions is seriously kidding themselves

we are a joke and we will continue to be a joke

looks like the Browns and the NY Giants will take steps to greatly improve their franchises while we will continue to be who we are

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football