Hail Kirk

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Hail Kirk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Broncos players praise Kirk Cousins after Redskins win

Cousins could test the free agent market ahead of next season.

Kyle Tasman

The overtures have already begun as far as Kirk Cousins and the Denver Broncos are concerned, even if their own players are trying to mask it.

Broncos stars Von Miller and Chris Harris were more than complimentary, following a performance in which the Washington Redskins quarterback threw for 299 yard and three touchdowns against the league's no. 1 defense. In fact, it sounded like more of a plea to the front office to get a jump start on their recruitment of the soon-to-be free agent.

“We couldn’t get any pressure on him — quick passes. He was connecting. He was on fire," said Miller. "Kirk is a great quarterback. I’ll say that every day of the week. I’m with everybody else on him. A lot of teams would kill to have a quarterback like that."

As for Miller's hopes for seeing him in Denver, well, the answer is obvious.

“Like I said, literally kill to have a quarterback like that. The list is long,” Miller said. “We’ll cross that bridge if we ever get to it.”

Miller's comments echoed the sentiments of Vance Joseph in the lead up to the game, with under-fire head coach similarly complimentary of the 29-year-old signal caller. They weren't the only ones impressed with what they saw however, as Harris also chimed in -- albeit carefully -- on his desire to see Cousins in a Broncos uniform next season.

“He definitely can make some plays [improvising] and he can make all the throws. He’s a baller," Harris said. “But I can’t say anything about next year.”

Only time will tell what the future holds for Cousins and the Redskins, but the number of teams ready to jump at the chance to sign him are sure to cause many a sleepless night in the weeks and months ahead.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Hail Kirk

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Kirk will not be here next season for a number of reasons - I think that he will not be as interested in $ (he's going to get paid well regardless) as he will be in going somewhere where he's better appreciated and that gives him a better chance at the playoffs

The ONLY way that Kirk Cousins is here is if Bruce Allen is gone + he can be assured that the FO is not going to be influenced by Dan Snyder
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 pm

If only the Redskins could sign "Curt" Cousins and fire Allen.

And if Snyder would sell the team to some branch of the Mara / Rooney families!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 am

SkinsJock wrote:Kirk will not be here next season for a number of reasons - I think that he will not be as interested in $ (he's going to get paid well regardless) as he will be in going somewhere where he's better appreciated and that gives him a better chance at the playoffs

The ONLY way that Kirk Cousins is here is if Bruce Allen is gone + he can be assured that the FO is not going to be influenced by Dan Snyder

I guess that's as good a theory as any. Who knows?

Personally I think its all about Snyder. If he wants to keep Cousins, he can make the offer it would take to make it happen. The fact is that if you want to show players (or employees in any business) that you "appreciate them", you show them the $$s. That's why those low ball offers to Cousins the past two years were so damaging. Really handled badly by the team.

I have no idea if Snyder likes Cousins enough to do what it would take to keep him. I imagine he's probably made some marketing calculation too on whether it would be worth it or not.

I don't know about you though, man, but I am dreading another off season of this discussion. Its really taken a lot of the fun out of following the team. Like my old granny always said, its time to s**t or get off the pot.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:36 am

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Kirk will not be here next season for a number of reasons - I think that he will not be as interested in $ (he's going to get paid well regardless) as he will be in going somewhere where he's better appreciated and that gives him a better chance at the playoffs

I guess that's as good a theory as any. Who knows?

Personally I think its all about Snyder. If he wants to keep Cousins, he can make the offer it would take to make it happen. The fact is that if you want to show players (or employees in any business) that you "appreciate them", you show them the $$s. That's why those low ball offers to Cousins the past two years were so damaging. Really handled badly by the team.

I have no idea if Snyder likes Cousins enough to do what it would take to keep him. I imagine he's probably made some marketing calculation too on whether it would be worth it or not.

I don't know about you though, man, but I am dreading another off season of this discussion. Its really taken a lot of the fun out of following the team. Like my old granny always said, its time to s**t or get off the pot.

I'm not sure Cousins will sign a contract here...question is would Snyder FT him?
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:38 pm

DEHog wrote:
riggofan wrote:I think its all about Snyder. If he wants to keep Cousins, he can make the offer it would take to make it happen. The fact is that if you want to show players that you "appreciate them", you show them the $$s. That's why those low ball offers to Cousins the past two years were so damaging. Really handled badly by the team.

I am dreading another off season of this discussion. Its really taken a lot of the fun out of following the team.

I'm not sure Cousins will sign a contract here ... question is would Snyder FT him?

:shock: that would be an even worse decision than the one he made in the 2012 draft
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:20 pm

DEHog wrote:I'm not sure Cousins will sign a contract here...question is would Snyder FT him?

Who freaking knows, man... I'm sure there's that whole transition tag scenario they could play out if they want.

No idea. I just think they need to quit making this situation worse. If they want him here, then show him the franchise QB contract and prove it. Otherwise I hope they just move on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:07 pm

riggofan wrote:
DEHog wrote:I'm not sure Cousins will sign a contract here ... question is would Snyder FT him?

Who freaking knows, man ... I'm sure there's that whole transition tag scenario they could play out if they want.

No idea. I just think they need to quit making this situation worse. If they want him here, then show him the franchise QB contract and prove it. Otherwise I hope they just move on.

BINGO - this is the whole problem here - the Redskins FO keep making stupid decisions - that's why we're in this situation

anyone that thinks that this FO is going to start making good decisions is just kidding themselves :lol:

GUARANTEED - this off season will be filled with FO decisions that most here will look at blindly and not accept that we're a mediocre franchise

at best

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:GUARANTEED - this off season will be filled with FO decisions that most here will look at blindly and not accept that we're a mediocre franchise

I take your point, and that's a fair criticism. I know I have definitely wanted to look for the silver lining at times and hope for the best, because I'm an unapologetic homer. For me personally, I just get no joy out of bashing the team no matter how much I dislike Snyder or Allen.

I also think the FO made some pretty good decisions last offseason. Jonathan Allen was a good first round pick IMO. Zach Brown has to have been one of the best FA signings in the entire league. And sorry but I think paying Ryan Grant a moderate contract vs. Pierre Garcon turned out to be 100% the right decision. (Sucks though that for all of those solid moves, they completely botched the single most important decision on Cousins.)

I did read in a different thread though, fans saying we're one of the worst franchises, as bad as the Browns, etc; etc; and I'm not 100% sure that is true. Three consecutive .500 seasons would be better than a lot of teams. There are a lot of teams that have been consistently worse in that time: Browns, Colts, Jets, Dolphins, Bears, 49ers, etc; There are even more teams with legit talent that should have been better but have disappointed or been dysfunctional: Detroit, Tampa, Bengals, Texans, COWBOYS, etc;

My point isn't to say that three .500+ seasons is good enough or that its indicative of anything. But I would rather be coming off those three seasons, than three bottom of the barrel fiascos.

In the next year, we're going to find out one way or the other if those three years have been the organization rebuilding to a legit competitive team. Or find out that its just been a bad organization that managed to field a middle of the road, mediocre team and that's the best they could do. Which would be depressing as hell. :D

Hog

Postby oj » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:12 pm

I've been saying for a while that Cousins will be in Denver next year, but they will have to get him some receivers or he won't go. I doubt he'll stay here. He wants a superbowl capable team, whomever gets him will have a killer RB and a pair of receivers. Cousins ain't looking at a longterm building project, he's done that and wants more. He'll go and take Thompson with him if he gets a chance.
I hope I'm wrong, love to see him here next year with some talent around him and a coach.
Molon Labe

-----------

Postby Smithian » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Kirk has answered all the questions this season, but there are just so many teams looking for a QB. Someone is going to offer him an insane amount of money and it won't make sense for him to say no. My guess remains Cleveland offering him a contract that is stunningly large. Denver maybe. Don't see Arizona or New York Jets.

I hope the Redskins can keep him but just don't see the money making sense.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:06 pm

I'd like to see Kirk Cousins play here for a while but I just don't have any confidence in this FO

I used to get my hopes up each season and then find excuses (like many here do) why things didn't work out as well as they should - while there are many things to look forward to and get hopeful about, the fact remains that until this FO undergoes a major change we will continue to be a franchise that is mediocre at best - it's all very well to point out all the really good things this franchise has done (like adding Allen, Anderson and Brown to the D) but the record is always staying at 8-10 wins, and, in each season, we can look back and clearly see a franchise that has not won as many games as they should have - I'm a huge supporter but I'm just sick and tired of Dan Snyder interfering with who plays and coaches here and not letting the FO be as effective as they might be

despite all the good things - at the end of each season, we're not as good as we should be and are making excuses - same old Redskins

I'm just not going to let up on Dan Snyder - he's the MAIN reason for all of this

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 am

I think the best fit for Kirk would be Jacksonville! Great D, good RB's and a good group of young WR's. I know Bortles played well late in the season but if he costs them in the playoffs I could see them throwing their name in the ring for Cousins....It's also close to his home in Atlanta.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:58 am

Smithian wrote:Kirk has answered all the questions this season, but there are just so many teams looking for a QB. Someone is going to offer him an insane amount of money and it won't make sense for him to say no.

I think you're right on this, man. This stuff about "he won't go to Denver if they don't get him some WRs" I'm just not buying.

No doubt considering the best team, situation, and opportunity will play some part in his decision. But at the end of the day, this is his one shot at the big contract. Its going to come down to the $$.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:18 am

SkinsJock wrote: it's all very well to point out all the really good things this franchise has done (like adding Allen, Anderson and Brown to the D) but the record is always staying at 8-10 wins, and, in each season

But the record has not always been 8-10 wins. We've been lucky to see 8-10 wins in the most recent three consecutive years. I think fans are just way too quick to forget what it looked like previously. In the previous twelve years, we were 7 wins or worse in EIGHT of those years. That's four winning seasons out of 12. Take a look back and see how many of those years were four wins, three wins, too. Painful.

Personally, I've never believed it was possible to turn this franchise around in a single year or two. This team was rotten from the ground up. I know as fans we've gotten excited by having that one successful year. RG3 has that one breakout year. Or we take advantage of playing the last place schedule or whatever. We all know that this team has never been consistently playoff caliber since the 90s.

I'm not sure if this FO has really done enough to rebuild the team or not. I like that we've gotten away from overpaying FAs. I like that so much of the team is made up of guys we drafted. I like that we've invested in the o-line and d-line. Those are all things that I think good teams do. Four years in though, if this team can't start making the playoffs regularly, I think they'll have to clean house.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football