Redskins' Off Season - more of the same, or ...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Redskins' Off Season - more of the same, or ...

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:11 am

I felt there were a number of good indicators about our D this season - just a shame that the guys in charge don't have a clue and need to get very lucky ... like having Allen still there when we picked in the last draft - many teams were hurt badly by injuries but it particularly hurt us because of a lack of quality depth at critical positions

there is nothing as important as being able to stop the other team from running the ball and having a decent run game

YES, we do need a QB but we should not spend the money on giving Cousins what he deserves at the expense of adding depth and keeping the other players we want to build around

all of this presumes that the guys making the choices get very, very lucky because they obviously don't know what they're doing
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Hog

Re: The off season is here - this could be interesting

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:34 pm

DEHog wrote:Couldn’t agree with him less, IMO this shows that you don’t have to pay for an elite QB. The 1st , 2nd and 4th best defenses are in the conference championships. Conventional wisdom would say spend the money on defense. I really like Cousiins, but not at the cost he wants, maybe there will be a “correction” in the QB market after what has happened this year. I mean would you really give Case Keenum or Blake Bortles $100 mil contracts?? The only part of the article I agree with is that Brady and Rodgers may be the only QB’s who elevate their teams. He can talked all he wants about Cousins playing for the Jags, Steelers, Chiefs..etc…But I would argue if those teams gave him the big contract they would become more like the Seahawks and Ravens after they give big contracts to their QB.

I couldn't agree more..... I am a big Cousins fan, but the lesson learned is you can't pay QBs 20+M a year and expect to have a complete team. Especially when you have horrendous GMs and the worst owner in sports.

I would love to see a W-L statistic on the record of teams while playing with a certain franchise QB --- before and after their big deals. Devils Advocate --- Last years finals had Rogers, Brady, Roeth, and Ryan.....

While it is --- without question --- in the best interest of the skins to resign Cousins.... they have to do it for a decent price...... And this is under the (poor) assumption that Cousins would want to resign --- and let's be honest.... he is WAY too smart and too much in demand to willingly return.

But at the end of the day --- who really cares? We will suck if we sign Cousins and we will suck if we don't. As long as Snyder is around, this franchise will be a joke.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Redskins need:

- Defense everywhere. DL, LB's, DB's. They have some keepers, but the D looks a long way from, say, Jacksonville defense.

- OL. Not just depth.

- RB's. Awful.

- WR's. Even worse than the RB's.

- Maybe TE's, since Reed has not played a complete season more than (Once?)

Like filling the holes in a mesh. Even worse with Colt McCoy replacing Cousins, and why did they bother tagging Cousins this season? Miserable organization.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 am

welch wrote:Redskins need:

- Defense everywhere. DL, LB's, DB's. They have some keepers, but the D looks a long way from, say, Jacksonville defense.

- OL. Not just depth.

- RB's. Awful.

- WR's. Even worse than the RB's.

- Maybe TE's, since Reed has not played a complete season more than (Once?)

Like filling the holes in a mesh. Even worse with Colt McCoy replacing Cousins, and why did they bother tagging Cousins this season? Miserable organization.

+1 - and it's V frustrating to watch it all happen ...

if you were a player or a coach and you had an opportunity to leave ... who could really blame them?
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Hog

Postby oj » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:00 am

What do you expect from an organization that kept Gruden and let McVay go? An organization that took a hard look at all things, this was their very best decision. The decision makers that passed on Hunt as an RB and chose Moriority for special teams play.
How can a team attract true talent when lead by mediocrity.
There, thats my rant, I'll try to be more contructive from now on. Really, I'll try hard.
Molon Labe

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 am

oj wrote:What do you expect from an organization that kept Gruden and let McVay go? An organization that took a hard look at all things, this was their very best decision. The decision makers that passed on Hunt as an RB and chose Moriority for special teams play.
How can a team attract true talent when lead by mediocrity.
There, thats my rant, I'll try to be more contructive from now on. Really, I'll try hard.

From an interview with Scot McLoughan:

Q: How closely did the team follow your draft/FA board this offseason?

McCloughan: To a T except for one pick.

I wonder if it was passing on Hunt?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 pm

I am very hopeful that we'll bring in great players and great coaches but, as long as Dan Snyder is making the decisions on who plays and coaches here the end result will be a franchise that has no respect and a mediocre win loss record - There are some good players here and some good coaches but this franchise will not get better until Snyder stops interfering

it's hard to imagine that Dan Snyder cannot see how he has affected this franchise by his decisions

I'm done with the idea that all we need is good players and good coaches - we've been there and done that under Dan Snyder
I recall a number of years where we've discussed how we're just missing this or we just need to improve on that

the one constant through all of this is that Dan Snyder has had such an adverse affect on this franchise that it really is not just resolved by having better coaching or good players - nearly all NFL players are incredibly talented - the main issue here is we do not have people in charge, at the top, that are making decisions based on a plan to improve - WE HAVE NO PLAN - Dan Snyder prohibits that happening

The Redskins have never won 11 games under Dan Snyder and own the longest streak in the NFL for not winning 11 games

there is a very valid reason for the Redskins having a terrible reputation - Dan Snyder

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Scot M. on Cousins:

“He’s a good player,” McCloughan told Mike Pritchard and Cecil Lammey. “Is he special? I don’t see special. But also, we were still building a roster around him to make him special. Jay Gruden does a great job play-calling. [Former Redskins offensive coordinator-turned-Los Angeles Rams Coach] Sean McVay did a great job play-calling to put him in positions to be successful. He’s talented. Talent is good at quarterback in the NFL. He’s won games. I know his record overall is not over .500. I know he has not won a playoff game. But he’s competitive. He works his tail off. He’s so methodical. Every day he has planned out. He’s always in the building, he’s always watching tape, he’s always talking to coaches, he was talking to me. From the standpoint of the tangibles, they’re excellent. You just need to have some talent around him because you don’t want him to be throwing the ball 35-40 times to win the game. You want to have a running game, have a good defense, good [special] teams, and then let him do what he does.”

The Redskins have gone 24-23-1 since Cousins was named the starter before the 2015 season. Cousins has thrown for 81 touchdowns and 36 interceptions during that span, while throwing for at least 4,000 yards in each of the last three years.

“The thing about him that’s unique, and you don’t really see it too often, he’s a pretty good athlete with his legs,” McCloughan continued. “He can make plays moving around the pocket and running for first downs. He’s got a strong enough arm, there’s no doubt about it. He’s been through adversity. When he was there, he got drafted the same year that Robert Griffin [III] got drafted. And Robert was the guy and of course he deserved it. He was offensive [rookie] of the year and Kirk got to sit back and just wait and wait and wait. He wants to play. He’s highly, highly competitive. He comes across as a real nice guy, like Alex Smith did in interviews — and they are. But they’re both highly competitive and they want to win. But they want that stability too. They want to know they’re in some spot where it’s not just a one-year deal, one-year deal, one-year deal. He wants a long-term deal.”

Full article in the Post at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... 58586139dd

“I can promise you this,” McCloughan said. “He has done his homework, probably too much, about each roster, who his receivers are, who his backs are, who his o-linemen are, who the coach is. Not just the head coach, but the coordinator, position coach, the system they run. I promise you he has notebook after notebook for each team. He is very, very intellectual about knowing what’s best for him. He understands he’s getting older, he’s been in the league a little bit. He wants to win. I know that. Personally, knowing him, it’s not about the money. It’s about the right fit, where he knows he has stability, he has good coaches, he has good players and he has a chance to be successful. I don’t blame him. He’s put himself in that situation with what he’s done the last three years.”

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 pm

Baker Mayfield????? The Redskins draft 17th. Maybe, in my draft prediction, they should choose to keep Colt McCoy, then draft DL and OL, and, maybe, a surprise RB. Plus FA WR, since there have to be some who are better than Doctson.

The prevailing thought is that Cousins is as good as gone, which is why so many mock-draft makers — ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. included — currently have the Redskins selecting a quarterback with their first-round pick, No. 13 overall. Kiper, who released his first mock draft of the year on Thursday, predicts Washington will take Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield. It would mark the second time in six years the Redskins drafted a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback from the Big 12.

Kiper’s reasoning for the pick:

This all depends on Kirk Cousins. Is Washington going to franchise tag him again? Remember, if the Redskins do it for the third straight year, he would cost more than $34 million in 2018. Could Washington let him test the free agent market? He could get a huge deal, but it might not be from the Redskins. If Cousins walks, there’s no ready-made replacement. They would have to scan the free agent market or draft a quarterback. Don’t count out the Heisman Trophy winner being taken this high. He is going to get a chance to impress scouts at the Senior Bowl, and I know they’re interested in seeing how he performs. If Washington keeps Cousins, inside linebacker is a clear position of need.

The brash Mayfield put up gaudy numbers (43 touchdowns, six interceptions) while leading the Sooners to the College Football Playoffs as a senior. There are questions about his size, and to a lesser extent his maturity level, but Mayfield, who was disciplined for a crotch-grabbing incident against Kansas in November, hopes to put some of those concerns to rest at the Senior Bowl next week.

Kiper thinks Mayfield might be drafted by Miami -- 11th pick -- to replace Ryan Tanehill eventually. Incidentally, let's remember that the Redskins traded three first round picks to skip over Tannehill and get the chance to draft Robert Griffin III.

Kiper has the Browns taking 6-foot-5 Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen at No. 1 and the Giants selecting UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen at No. 2. The Broncos, who have the No. 5 pick, are also in the market for a quarterback this offseason, and Kiper suspects John Elway will look to USC’s Sam Darnold. Denver is also considered among the more likely landing spots for Cousins if he’s not in Washington next season.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:58 pm

“I can promise you this,” McCloughan said. “He has done his homework, probably too much, about each roster, who his receivers are, who his backs are, who his o-linemen are, who the coach is. Not just the head coach, but the coordinator, position coach, the system they run. I promise you he has notebook after notebook for each team. He is very, very intellectual about knowing what’s best for him. He understands he’s getting older, he’s been in the league a little bit. He wants to win. I know that. Personally, knowing him, it’s not about the money. It’s about the right fit, where he knows he has stability, he has good coaches, he has good players and he has a chance to be successful. I don’t blame him. He’s put himself in that situation with what he’s done the last three years.”

Makes a ton of sense. Gotta think it's either another tag or bye bye.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:58 pm

This FO has not made many good decisions over recent years - including how they handled Kirk Cousins - IMO Kirk Cousins is not a great NFL QB but he's proven to be at least a good NFL QB and should have been treated accordingly - his value now is not as much because of his play as because of who else is available - that's how it works and more power to him, hopefully we don't pay him the current market value ... but, given who is making decisions here, anything is possible and it will most likely be a bad decision

the problem here is simply that the guys in charge don't know what they're doing and refuse to accept they are the ones responsible

after all we've seen happen here - it's very difficult for me to believe that these idiots are going to start making good decisions about who plays and coaches here - the old BS about the guys at the top not making tackles and not making bad decisions on the field is just STUPID - well managed companies perform better (no matter how great a staff is employed by the company) because of the decisions the management make and how those decisions help the staff do their jobs better

this franchise has no leadership and the guys in charge have zero respect from the players and coaches

achieving mediocre results is actually a testament to the players and coaches overcoming the horrible job by the FO and the owner

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:06 pm

While Redskins fixate on quarterback future, here’s their history of wide receiver issues

By Thomas Boswell Columnist January 26 at 2:25 PM

Since 1992, the Washington Redskins have had many problems as they’ve sunk to the eighth-worst record in the NFL over the past 26 years.

But few problems have been worse than one that barely has been noticed: The Redskins’ utter inability in all that time to draft a single high-quality wide receiver while spending 25 picks, including five first-rounders, on that position.

In all that time, no NFL team has used more first-round picks on wide receivers. Yet Washington is dead last in the NFL among all teams that existed in ’92 at drafting productive wideouts. The scale of this ineptitude is staggering. During this long dreary era, the team has “spotted” its foes tens of thousands of yards apiece — and some teams more than 30,000 yards — over those 26 years.

It is revealing that the men with the largest decision-making responsibilities at Redskins Park — owner Daniel Snyder, current team president for the last eight years Bruce Allen, and former general manager Vinny Cerrato — have never shown that they even knew this problem existed much less studied how to fix it.

Let’s try to focus our minds quickly on the size of this hideous issue. The five best wide receivers picked by the Redskins since ’92 have been: Michael Westbrook (4,374 career receiving yards), Rod Gardner, Albert Connell, Jamison Crowder and Desmond Howard. In their careers, they gained roughly 14,000 receiving yards combined (only Crowder is still active).

In those same drafts, the Indianapolis Colts used just 16 picks on wide receivers. But their five best picks gained almost 50,000 yards in their careers.

Colts: 49,611. Redskins: 14,050. Let that sink in.

Full story at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... d7869cc3ec

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm

^^ as the article points out, this is what happens when you have guys like Dan, Vinnie and Bruce having a lot of input

the guys in charge have really done a terrible job managing this franchise and have actually hurt this franchise with their decisions on who plays and coaches here

I remember hoping things might get better - I'm over that - we know what to expect - MORE of THE SAME

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm

SkinsJock wrote:^^ as the article points out, this is what happens when you have guys like Dan, Vinnie and Bruce having a lot of input

the guys in charge have really done a terrible job managing this franchise and have actually hurt this franchise with their decisions on who plays and coaches here

I remember hoping things might get better - I'm over that - we know what to expect - MORE of THE SAME

More of the same...or worse?

Ok, maybe trading Dunbar and a third to sign Smith for $70 million guaranteed might be about as bad as we expect from Dan / Vinnie / Bruce. Ah, if only the Redskins had replaced Brad Johnson with a great passer, someone like Jeff George...

Hog

Re: The off season is here - this could be interesting

Postby fabe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:46 am

DarthMonk wrote:In the first 49 Super Bowls, the winner had the #1 defense in the league over 28% of the time.

The winner had a top 3 defense over half the time.

The winner had a top 10 defense 42 of 49 times.

Making up for a so so defense with a great QB is VERY RARE. I can even argue IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED !!!

New England Patriots over the past few years.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football