Cousins answer questions from fans

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

Cousins answer questions from fans

Postby welch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:56 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... ceeec15c34

Highlights begin:

Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins is at Jammin Java in Vienna on Friday for a two-hour, question-and-answer session with fans hosted by 106.7 The Fan’s Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier. During the sold-out event, which will benefit the D.C. Dream Center, Cousins is expected to answer questions about his six years in Washington and his uncertain future. This post will be updated with Cousins’s comments throughout the afternoon. You can listen to Cousins’s Q&A here.

Shortly after Cousins was introduced to applause, Paulsen wasted no time asking one of the key questions that will factor into whether Cousins is in D.C. next season: Do you want to be a Washington Redskin?

“That has been the question, right?” Cousins said with a laugh. “That’s what we talked about last summer in July. The short answer is yes. I just feel that it’s been a very positive six years. Obviously, we don’t have Super Bowl rings to show for it, we don’t have playoff wins, but it’s a privilege to play here. I’ve felt that for all six seasons. I’d be foolish to say I don’t want to be here. It is truly a dream come true and a privilege to be here. Now obviously, it’s not that simple or that easy, and we have time to figure all that out, and work through all the circumstances that have to take place to feel really good about that, but I do feel the short answer is yes and let’s work through it.”

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Redskins all-in to find a way to re-sign Cousins

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Tis the fun part of the year for Redskins fans - the first reports after the season ended were that Cousins was not interested in playing here and that he wanted to go somewhere that 1) would offer a better chance at making the playoffs AND 2) somewhere that he was appreciated more ...

now this from CBS Sports ... https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kirk ... gning-him/

on one hand I'd like this to be settled quickly, but ... it is kind of interesting to watch these idiots in our FO screw things up so badly again

stay tuned ... :roll:
Hopefully 2018 is the end of the frustration we have had here since 1999 - 'we'll be better next year' SUCKS - we have added some good young players - we need to change the losing culture of the past 5 seasons - our record of 31-48 is horrible

Skins History Buff

Re: Cousins answer questions from fans

Postby welch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:24 pm

- During today's Q&A, Cousins says that the Redskins were "all in" last off-season. I read the details of Cousins' answers in the Post. The CBS reporter misunderstood what Cousins said.

- He said polite things about the team, Bruce Allen, and Daniel Snyder. (Probably nothing good would come by attacking ownership and management of any NFL team)

- Key thing he wants in a contract, in addition to going to a place that wants him: guaranteed money. Compare MLB contracts with NFL contracts. All $ in MLB are guaranteed. NFL contracts protect the team but not the player. Not much guaranteed. NFL is a "year-to-year" league, as Cousins has put it. Look at Allen's claim, last summer, that the Redskins offered $120 million. When the Post analyzed Allen's contract, it found that the Redskins offered a year that Cousins was to receive anyway by the tag, plus one extra year of guaranteed $. Everything else was Allen (and Snyder?) puffery.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 pm

welch wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/05/id-be-foolish-to-say-i-dont-want-to-be-here-highlights-from-kirk-cousinss-fan-event/?utm_term=.9fceeec15c34

So basically, we're still at an impasse. He says he wants to be here but that there are lots of things to iron out if all parts agree.

Anyone has Alex Smith's cell phone?

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:25 pm

El Mexican wrote:
welch wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/05/id-be-foolish-to-say-i-dont-want-to-be-here-highlights-from-kirk-cousinss-fan-event/?utm_term=.9fceeec15c34

So basically, we're still at an impasse. He says he wants to be here but that there are lots of things to iron out if all parts agree.

Anyone has Alex Smith's cell phone?

My sense: Cousins will leave when FA starts. The only question is whether he Redskins will tag him again. That seems unlikely, since the team will then pay him $30 million or more next season.

Meanwhile, I'm watching the Buffalo and Jacksonville playoff, with two bad QB's. Both seem to need a QB as good as Cousins.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Yep, that was some terrible QB play. Could definitely see Cousins as a big improvement there.

Meanwhile, Kansas played pretty well against the Titans, but as always Reid became hyper-conservative in the playoffs.

That game was not lost because of Alex Smith. With a good RB, he's solid. It's a shame our running game is non-existent, though.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:32 pm

I told Cousins to check out my sig..

He asked, what's a Hog Bowl?

:mrgreen:
Hog Bowl Champions
'09 & '17 langleyparkjoe, '10 Cappster, '11 & '13 DarthMonk,
'12 Deadskins, '14 PickSixerTWSS, '15 APEX PREDATOR, '16 vwoodzpusha

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:00 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:I told Cousins to check out my sig..

But the Tick Tock is a neighborhood place! Still there?

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:46 pm

I didn't attend Kirk Cousins discussion because it is to far, about 800 miles, but have read the newspaper accounts. First, let me say that I truly believe that newspapers slant everything to make their story more shocking, controversial or to slant it so it fits the newspapers agenda. One question and answer stood out in my mind though. That was the question about his being concerned about his salary preventing the team from getting better players for other positions. His answer was that the Steelers do it, or something close. He is right. The Steelers, Patriots, Saints and other teams manage their cap space while paying many players big, big time. Why can't the Redskins do that? It seems that every year, there is a concern about cap space and how they loose good players (Garcon comes to mind) because of the lack of cap space. Are they not supposed to have a cap management Guru? If that is Allen, no wonder it is messed up. My vote (for what little it is worth) would be to get rid of Allen. He was a failure in Tampa and has been a failure here. I am not sure about Doug Williams. Does he have any experience handling the cap? If he does, I have never read about it. That doesn't mean he doesn't have experience, it just means that I have never read that he does

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:37 am

Invite him next year. You KNOW we're gonna need at least one more player.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 am

welch wrote:

My friend, though the building is still there, they haven't been opened in years. The owner who owns (or owned) about 75% of the liquor stores in the area was arrested many years ago with charges including fraud, underage sales, and many other business crimes. Now it's just an old building that we may pass and remember the good ole days. :mrgreen:
Hog Bowl Champions

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:52 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
welch wrote:

My friend, though the building is still there, they haven't been opened in years. The owner who owns (or owned) about 75% of the liquor stores in the area was arrested many years ago with charges including fraud, underage sales, and many other business crimes. Now it's just an old building that we may pass and remember the good ole days. :mrgreen:

Sad, sad.

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:35 pm

welch wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:
welch wrote:But the Tick Tock is a neighborhood place! Still there?
My friend, though the building is still there, they haven't been opened in years. The owner who owns (or owned) about 75% of the liquor stores in the area was arrested many years ago with charges including fraud, underage sales, and many other business crimes. Now it's just an old building that we may pass and remember the good ole days.
Sad, sad.

sounds like our franchise - the best memories are from the previous century
Hopefully 2018 is the end of the frustration we have had here since 1999 - 'we'll be better next year' SUCKS - we have added some good young players - we need to change the losing culture of the past 5 seasons - our record of 31-48 is horrible

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:19 pm

SkinsJock wrote:sounds like our franchise - the best memories are from the previous century

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hog Bowl Champions

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football