Cousins answer questions from fans

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Re: Cousins answer questions from fans

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 am

First, let me point out that the FO is not managed by guys that have much of a clue about the NFL and there's really little chance that they will make good decisions regarding Cousins + given how they've treated him, it's most likely that he's not interested in staying here

we keep hearing that the Redskins have to try and keep Cousins - I understand that having a good QB is very important but it's also very important to have a FO that has a clue about what to do - this is the first area that we need to address then we can figure out what to do going forward about the QB - Cousins might be more inclined to stay if he thought the FO here would be different than it has been

there's little doubt that having a really good back up QB is also very important - this franchise has not done well depth wise at any position
Hopefully 2018 is the end of the frustration we have had here since 1999 - 'we'll be better next year' SUCKS - we have added some good young players - we need to change the losing culture of the past 5 seasons - our record of 31-48 is horrible

08 Champ

Re: Cousins

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:52 am

Jason La Canfora is now projecting that the Redskins will Transition Tag Cousins ....

This saga is already ridiculous and the Skins have allowed it to fester in a way most organizations could never fathom. They're right back in the same spot for three straight years with a top-10 quarterback (top seven or eight, I would surmise). So at this point you have to try to think how Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen would approach this backward quandary, and not just let logic and reason be your guide. After giving Cousins $44 million for two years, and fostering a hostile climate with their fanbase in the process, they can't just let Cousins just walk now. Cousins won't entertain any offers until the tag window closes, and this owner will be destroyed in Washington if he doesn't at least retain Cousins' services then.
The transition tag saves them potentially $6 million and, with these sides nowhere close on Cousins' fair market value, it allows another team to set that market for them. Sure, if the Skins can't match an offer sheet they get no compensation (as opposed to a likely third-round comp pick in 2019 should they merely let him hit the market), but that's almost beside the point now. If someone else structures a deal in the way Washington deems too rich, then the team can leave the situation on its terms. And maybe a trade comes from a tag. As for the interested teams, the Browns' previous front office would have been at the head of the list, but I don't see that now with John Dorsey at the helm (more on him next). The Broncos and Cardinals might make sense too, but the team I believe will make the most concerted effort to land Cousins is the Jets. They have the want and the ability and more cap space than you would ever need, and they won too many games to have a top QB fall to them in the draft.
Hopefully 2018 is the end of the frustration we have had here since 1999 - 'we'll be better next year' SUCKS - we have added some good young players - we need to change the losing culture of the past 5 seasons - our record of 31-48 is horrible

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am

I this this is the best course of action for the Skins. With the draft having multiple QB’s and a good number of QB’s hitting the FA market, I think the price for Cousins is going to come down a bit this year. If you can get a Smith, Keenum, or Brigdgewater for 5-10 mil less than Cousins I think you do it??
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:06 am

DEHog wrote:I think this is the best course of action for the Skins. With the draft having multiple QB’s and a good number of QB’s hitting the FA market, I think the price for Cousins is going to come down a bit this year. If you can get a Smith, Keenum, or Bridgewater for 5-10 mil less than Cousins, I think you do it??
I agree, but then again, that's the problem - this FO does not make a lot of good decisions

Kirk Cousins is a good NFL QB but the Redskins are not going to have to pay a lot of money to get a good NFL QB and there could be a good one available at #13 that we can get for the future

be nice to have an FO with better people in charge too

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:24 pm

I'd like to draft a few more stud defenders and go to a 4-3. This would have Kerrigan rushing the passer and run stopping more while covering less. It would have a slow LB in the middle instead 2 slow LBs at ILB and another slow one at OLB on the left. We already have better personnel for a 4-3. Let's get all the way there.

Gruden will scheme guys open and move the ball with just decent personnel on offense. I'd love to have a true dual threat RB and a solid game manager at QB with a killer defense.

Current 4-3 depth chart anyone???

DE Smith ?
DT Ioannidis
DT Hood
DE Kerrigan

OLB Gallette ?
MLB Spaight ?
OLB Brown

CB Norman
CB Breeland

SS ?
FS Swearinger

Seems like we could be aggressive with a group like this in a pass happy league.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Well probably end up with a guy drafted with the "the best player available" philosophy.

Seeing the huge holes we have practically everywhere on both Offense and Defense,
that could end up being a good thing :p

One more thing: I wouldn't rule out a huge cache of picks by a late trade for Cousins. Most probably from Denver. Just my gut feeling.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 am

DarthMonk wrote:I'd like to draft a few more stud defenders and go to a 4-3. This would have Kerrigan rushing the passer and run stopping more while covering less. It would have a slow LB in the middle instead 2 slow LBs at ILB and another slow one at OLB on the left. We already have better personnel for a 4-3. Let's get all the way there.

Gruden will scheme guys open and move the ball with just decent personnel on offense. I'd love to have a true dual threat RB and a solid game manager at QB with a killer defense.

DE Smith ?
DT Ioannidis
DT Hood
DE Kerrigan

OLB Gallette ?
MLB Spaight ?
OLB Brown

CB Norman
CB Breeland

SS ?
FS Swearinger

Seems like we could be aggressive with a group like this in a pass happy league.

Love the theory!! Where does Allen fit in? I think Foster would be better at the Mike. Gallett more suited for a third down rusher. We really need a S....it's been an issue since ST passed away.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 am

El Mexican wrote:Well probably end up with a guy drafted with the "the best player available" philosophy. Seeing the huge holes we have practically everywhere on both Offense and Defense, that could end up being a good thing :p

One more thing: I wouldn't rule out a huge cache of picks by a late trade for Cousins. Most probably from Denver. Just my gut feeling.

:shock: this is really wishful thinking - completely out of touch with reality

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 pm

DarthMonk wrote:I'd like to draft a few more stud defenders and go to a 4-3. This would have Kerrigan rushing the passer and run stopping more while covering less. It would have a slow LB in the middle instead 2 slow LBs at ILB and another slow one at OLB on the left. We already have better personnel for a 4-3. Let's get all the way there.

DE Smith ?
DT Ioannidis
DT Hood
DE Kerrigan

OLB Gallette ?
MLB Spaight ?
OLB Brown

CB Norman
CB Breeland

SS ?
FS Swearinger

I, also, like this. Maybe Su'a Cravens at SS?

Draft defense, OL, RB, WR. The Redskin draft would need a hit on every pick, but that's the test of every NFL GM group. Yes, Kirk Cousins will leave, so it's time for Colt McCoy and, maybe, a vet QB like Sam Bradford. However, I predict that the Redskins will use their first round pick on Baker Mayfield...if he's available. Another Heisman QB would fit the way Snyder thinks.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Cravens future is questionable ... at best

both Allen and Anderson from Alabama will become really good NFL players

Hog

Postby oj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 am

The first thing we need is a killer RB, then we need a receiver. If you get an offense the defense can sit on the bench. it is the offense that puts points on the board and the kicker that wins games. We have neither, we have a capable QB (so they tell us) so lets focus on what we need to do to compliment him, I guarantee it is not another LB or SS.
Molon Labe

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:42 pm

oj wrote:The first thing we need is a killer RB, then we need a receiver. If you get an offense the defense can sit on the bench. it is the offense that puts points on the board and the kicker that wins games. We have neither, we have a capable QB (so they tell us) so lets focus on what we need to do to compliment him, I guarantee it is not another LB or SS.

I must disagree.

Even this year it came down to NE getting stops.

The final 4 this year were ranked 1, 2, 4, and 5 in scoring defense.

Pittsburgh and the Saints are sitting on sofas.

I do want a dual threat RB.
Last edited by DarthMonk on Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:44 pm

DEHog wrote:

DE Smith ?
DT Ioannidis
DT Hood
DE Kerrigan

OLB Gallette ?
MLB Spaight ?
OLB Brown

CB Norman
CB Breeland

SS ?
FS Swearinger

Love the theory!! Where does Allen fit in? I think Foster would be better at the Mike. Gallett more suited for a third down rusher. We really need a S....it's been an issue since ST passed away.

Allen let's Ioannidis move to end/be in a rotation - has Smith rushing more.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:59 pm

DEHog wrote:I this this is the best course of action for the Skins. With the draft having multiple QB’s and a good number of QB’s hitting the FA market, I think the price for Cousins is going to come down a bit this year. If you can get a Smith, Keenum, or Brigdgewater for 5-10 mil less than Cousins I think you do it??

i could even live with ............................. RYAN FITZPATRICK.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm

we're going to have to get someone else to play QB - I can't see this FO finding a way to bring Cousins back

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football