Alex Smith traded to Washington

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Alex Smith traded to Washington

Postby El Mexican » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 pm

Anyone caught this info?

Per Adam Schefter:

Chiefs have agreed to trade Qb Alex Smith to the Redskins, as @TerezPaylor reported.

Kirk Cousins now will be leaving Washington.

Here's the original story outbound from Kansas City:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/ka ... 08249.html

Honestly, it does not surprise me at all. This seems like a natural fit for both teams, as I said halfway through the season.

I don't know how that fits into KC's plans, though, seeing they have a great rookie QB.
Last edited by El Mexican on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Re: Cousins traded to KC

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:31 pm

We didn’t trade Cousins to KC, we traded for Alex Smith....and I’m sick to my stomach

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:We didn’t trade Cousins to KC, we traded for Alex Smith....and I’m sick to my stomach

Story in the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... 1b2ec9c44e

By Liz Clarke and Mark Maske January 30 at 10:34 PM

Unable to strike a long-term contract for two years’ running with Kirk Cousins, the Washington Redskins have solved their uncertainty at quarterback by trading for Kansas City’s Alex Smith, according to a person with knowledge of the deal.

The move, which was first reported by the Kansas City Star, will bring the 33-year-old quarterback to Washington. It is expected to be finalized Wednesday. Under the agreement in principle, Smith, who had one year remaining on his contract with Kansas City, will sign a four-year contract extension. It is unclear what Washington will send Kansas City in return, but it will no doubt be less than the roughly $35 million that would be owed Cousins if the team were to use the franchise tag on him for a third straight year to keep him a Redskin.

The move means that Cousins, 29, who had shown no interest in striking a long-term deal with the Redskins, will get what he has long sought: a chance to test his value on the NFL’s free agent market and have a choice in his employer for the first time in his career.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:04 pm

Good riddance. A QB who can't win playoff games is useless. Alex Smith has no such issues.
"I coached in Washington - and in Washington, you lose the ballgame, it's a bad Monday, I just want to tell you that." - Joe Gibbs

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm

I’m fine with this since Kirk was never going to play here under anything other than the tag.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:07 am

PAPDOG67 wrote:We didn’t trade Cousins to KC, we traded for Alex Smith....and I’m sick to my stomach

Thanks, much clearer now. So we get basically nothing? Just let him go?

|||

Re: Alex Smith traded to Washington

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 am

It all depends on what we gave up for Alex Smith.
I hope no higher then a fifth round pick.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 am

Gosh darnett a 3rd round pick for a bum rag arm. The season is doomed before it even began.
0-16 so we can fire Allen n Gruden.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:55 am

It’s worse than just a 3rd, I’m hearing Kendall Fuller is in the deal. Smh, awful trade.

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:51 am

What I want to know is, what was Andy Reid thinking? I understand Smith struggled and maybe you felt you went as far as you could with him, But, Is it worth giving him away leaving you now vulnerable at the QB position? don't get it, the bright side is this may open the door back up for Kaep to get back into the thick
of it provided he gets out of the owners dog house (doubtful) Oh well dumb move Andy"

Cousins?? since you won't be needing his services now I know a roster dying for a back up QB what do you want in trade for him?
I'M AM LUCIFER THE DEVIL IN THE FLESH

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:34 am

I do like Alex Smith what I don’t like is the trade. I don’t think we got better; we lost a 3rd and a good CB and didn’t really create any cap space to sign a Zac Brown. Look at KC, they get a CB and a 3rd and create cap space to better their D. I’m guessing this was the market cost for Smith and they had to give that much…but why? There are a lot of QB’s that are going to be available and you have Colt….Que the Kurt bashing!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:37 am

TexasCowboy wrote:What I want to know is, what was Andy Reid thinking? I understand Smith struggled and maybe you felt you went as far as you could with him, But, Is it worth giving him away leaving you now vulnerable at the QB position? don't get it, the bright side is this may open the door back up for Kaep to get back into the thick
of it provided he gets out of the owners dog house (doubtful) Oh well dumb move Andy"

Cousins?? since you won't be needing his services now I know a roster dying for a back up QB what do you want in trade for him?

:hmm: Um KC got a starting CB, a 3rd, and cleared 17 mil in cap space! If Mahomes doesn't workout Reid can always trade him to the Skins!! :lol:
As for Kirk being a backup.... :roll:
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:36 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Good riddance. A QB who can't win playoff games is useless. Alex Smith has no such issues.

Alex Smith* has no such issues.

*with Kelce, Hill, & Hunt

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Gosh darnett a 3rd round pick for a bum rag arm. The season is doomed before it even began.
0-16 so we can fire Allen n Gruden.

Smith had the #1 passer rating in the NFL this past season.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013, 2016)

Hognostibowl XII Champion (2017, 2018)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Location: IF you're lucky enough to live in Newport RI, you're lucky enough

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Nobody with any sense, thinks this was a good deal for the Redskins ... given who is making the decisions here, it's really no surprise either

I'm glad we have a good NFL QB but losing a young, really good CB, is just really dumb

I'm glad they brought in a good QB but why did we have to lose a really good, very young player at a very important position - STUPID
Nobody really expects the Redskins to do well and this is primarily due to the way the franchise is managed.
It's not the players or the coaches fault. It's time to clean house & change the losing culture here

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football