Alex Smith traded to Washington

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Diesel

Re: Alex Smith traded to Washington

Postby DEHog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:44 am

TexasCowboy wrote:Let's change gears for a second approaching this in another manner, what IF at the 13th pick Baker Mayfield
officially becomes a Washington Redskin? I ask this for a very potent reason, because all this complaining over acquiring Smith like you are ultimate stuck with the guy for the next 20 years isn't something my mind
can wrap around.

so, Would acquiring Mayfield ease the tension of the Smith trade?

By the way this scenario potentially playing out is a nightmare for the rest of the NFC East
since all indications point that Mayfield is going to rip the NFL up like he did in college

just an FYI

That would just be dumb...Smith was on record saying he did not want to be a bridge for a team that was going to draft a young QB. Skins would have never given him that long of a contract if he was. He just came from a situation like that, again not saying Smith is bad just camplaining about what and why we had to give up to get him.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 am

OK this is kinda going in circles and really getting nowhere, so besides in terms of what the Redskins gave him up for him? cap wise, Explain what else they gave up that makes this such a bad deal in your eyes?
I'M AM LUCIFER THE DEVIL IN THE FLESH

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:50 pm

TexasCowboy wrote:OK this is kinda going in circles and really getting nowhere, so besides in terms of what the Redskins gave him up for him? cap wise, Explain what else they gave up that makes this such a bad deal in your eyes?

3rd round pick and Kendall Fuller! It's being reported that up to 5 other teams where interested so I'm guessing the Skins balked and gave this up??
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

All I can tell you DE is,

I wish Jerry was a tenth as smart as your front office right now to only give up
a 3rd along with 1 player, who? yes you had to take on his previous salary in KC in order to get him (small price) to pay but can be a factor in that offense with all the right talent around

Is equally as good as the time Jimmy fleeced the Vikings for all they had

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:42 pm

The Redskins are paying Smith his $17 million for 2018, and they have committed $70 million guaranteed for the next (four?) years. Yes, $90 million over five years is less that what Garapolo got (how much guaranteed?) And Garappolo is about 24 while Cousins is 29. The Redskins will carry Smith, and pay him, for his years after 34.

No good reason that Mayfield will be available, since the Redskins will draft 13th. Browns, Giants, Jets, Colts, and Miami draft ahead of them, and others (Cardinals?) I haven't thought of.

Meanwhile, Fuller has turned into a good DB

Redskins are not likely to compete for NFC East in 2018, less likely for NFC title, and even less likely for SB title. The Redskins are not a one-year flop, not a good team just waiting for something. Snyder has worked hard acros 20 years to get the team this consistently weak.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:59 pm

welch wrote:The Redskins are paying Smith his $17 million for 2018, and they have committed $70 million guaranteed for the next (four?) years. Yes, $90 million over five years is less that what Garapolo got (how much guaranteed?) And Garappolo is about 24 while Cousins is 29. The Redskins will carry Smith, and pay him, for his years after 34.

No good reason that Mayfield will be available, since the Redskins will draft 13th. Browns, Giants, Jets, Colts, and Miami draft ahead of them, and others (Cardinals?) I haven't thought of.

Meanwhile, Fuller has turned into a good DB

Redskins are not likely to compete for NFC East in 2018, less likely for NFC title, and even less likely for SB title. The Redskins are not a one-year flop, not a good team just waiting for something. Snyder has worked hard acros 20 years to get the team this consistently weak.

Not sure how the Skins loaded the contract but it's basically 71 mil for 3 years or 23.5 which will seem like a bargin a year from now!

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Let's change gears for a second approaching this in another manner, what IF at the 13th pick Baker Mayfield officially becomes a Washington Redskin?

Unless we trade up, there is no way in hell that will happen.

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:20 pm

El Mexican wrote:Unless we trade up, there is no way in hell that will happen.

Mayfield maybe a "talent" but he is also a "problem child" His immaturity has sparked red flags, That I don't personally see "Teams" wanting to deal with
Now I could be wrong and someone makes the foolish mistake of taking this
kid early on

or I am going to be right on this 1 and Mayfield due to the issues is going to fall right into your lap at 13 the question is do you buck and take him or do you let him go the way Dallas let Moss go in the 98 draft?

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:17 am

TexasCowboy wrote:

Mayfield maybe a "talent" but he is also a "problem child" His immaturity has sparked red flags, That I don't personally see "Teams" wanting to deal with
kid early on

or I am going to be right on this 1 and Mayfield due to the issues is going to fall right into your lap at 13 the question is do you buck and take him or do you let him go the way Dallas let Moss go in the 98 draft?

Ah...if, by luck, Mayfield is available, then take Mayfield. Trade Smith for a third round pick, or keep him for a year as a model for Mayfield. If Mayfield is another Johnny Football, then let him sit and sit.

Redskins won't compete in 2018, so they can be patient. Of course, that's if Snyder was an ordinary owner...

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm

welch wrote:Ah...if, by luck, Mayfield is available, then take Mayfield. Trade Smith for a third round pick, or keep him for a year as a model for Mayfield. If Mayfield is another Johnny Football, then let him sit and sit.

I doubt he will be another Manziel type "player" Baker has to way to many skills that set him apart from Johnny football, so no worries there, As for Alex? I'm sure lots of teams currently looking for QB's would be willing to give up a 3rd
to get him, Reid of course wants him as far away as he can since it would be
a nightmare for him to have to face his former starter twice IF the Bronco's
were willing to take him off your hands

welch wrote:Redskins won't compete in 2018, so they can be patient. Of course, that's if Snyder was an ordinary owner...

You and I are in the same boat I don't expect Dallas to compete in 2018 either and Jones like Snyder, Is anything BUT ordinary, I swear if Mayfield
falls to 19 (could happen) Jerruh would be crazy enough to take him just
to spite the world even if it means creating a controversy at QB with Dak

shaking my head

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 pm

I've always thought Jerry Jones was a couple of notches above Dan Snyder...maybe different from a competent NFL GM, someone like Bill Polian, but able to win things. Crazy but smart. Compare the records since Snyder took over. It would be interesting -- weird -- though, to have both Prescott and Mayfield on the Cowboys.

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:45 pm

welch wrote:I've always thought Jerry Jones was a couple of notches above Dan Snyder...maybe different from a competent NFL GM, someone like Bill Polian, but able to win things. Crazy but smart. Compare the records since Snyder took over. It would be interesting -- weird -- though, to have both Prescott and Mayfield on the Cowboys.

Really? wow, I've always considered Jones arrogant and pompous with no regard for input other than what he wants..which is why it seems crazy to predict Mayfield
at 19th Dallas, But I just got that eerie feeling it's gonna happen, Jones has a "thing" for really good QB's in college especially if they played for the University of Arkansas his alma mater, Luckily Mayfield doesn't fit that "requirement" however it wouldn't stop Jerry from acquiring Mayfield just to ruin everyones day

I will say though if he does fall to 19th and Dallas does happen to snatch him up. Dak is gonna need to be on his toes seasons like the one he had last year are going to be his get out of Jail free card (1) x only never the less I hope it fails to happen but I am not keeping my fingers crossed knowing he is still in charge

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm

TexasCowboy wrote:

kid early on

Basically yes we should take him, considering this FO has lived and died by the mantra "take the best talent available".

But, realistically, there way too many teams drafting before us that are in dire need of a QB (Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets, Bengals).

Hog

Postby TexasCowboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Whoa let's jump the gun Washington could be satisfied having Smith at QB for the next few years that is a very real possibility here, all I am saying is? That Mayfield is gonna lose lots stock because of his actions while he was at Oklahoma, He's got immaturity issues that others may see as a "red flag" causing them to pass on him

Rosen either is going to get taking by Cleveland at 1 or he drops to the Giants at 2 then you have the Browns again picking at 4 Denver 5th might go QB depending on if they believe Simian is there guy? Jets at 6 are the
wild card if Mayfield goes or not ? (by then he could already be gone) Dolphins, Bengals, Redskins rd out the
top half of the next order

again if not already taken? these 3 teams are his best chance at a landing spot cause no other team is looking for QB help in the first rd Washington would be foolish to allow a golden chance like this slip on
by the wayside. If I'm Gruden and Snyder I make a move to get this guy even if that means that I get
rid of Alex and eat the cap hit

let's face it you are not getting any younger talent wise if you hope to compete again this is the place
you'd want to start at, Nobody in the East is gonna want to play against this guy he is the X factor to
being the spoiler to everybody's day

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm

I don't see the Redskins taking a quarterback this year. Smith and Cousins are roughly equal in their statistics, per several comparison articles. There is one thing the articles leave out, and that is Cousins propensity to throw interceptions at critical times during the game. He effectively killed 5 or 6 games in the last two years. Smith may do the same but not as regularly as Cousins. A rookie contract is for four years, Smiths contract is for 5 years, i.e. the rookie contract expires before Smiths does. My bet is they take a quarterback in 2 years. I think the Redskins are better off with Smith and will use their first round pick for another position, likely a defensive player. The Redskins have not taken a running back as a first pick (as far as I can remember) and I seriously doubt that one of the premier running backs will be available at #13.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football