"Randy, Coach likes you": 1982 NFC Championship

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Skins History Buff

"Randy, Coach likes you": 1982 NFC Championship

Postby welch » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Yes, you've read the stories. In the 4th Quarter, Russ Grimm said to Randy White, "Randy, Coach likes you so much we're going to run that play again."

NY Times predicted that the Cowboys would crush the Redskins. The Times reviewed each of the Hogs. Grimm was good, Bostic was just a fat guy. The Redskins had run all over the Falcons and Vikings, but Dallas, no, the Cowboys were part of the NFL elite. The Redskins were nothing much, and with Art Monk hurt (broken foot), no way would the Redskins run Riggins through the line again and again.

Here, a chance to remember, before anyone outside DC thought much of the Joe Gibbs Redskins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-DbRYBWZTs

Hog

Re: "Randy, Coach likes you": 1982 NFC Championship

Postby El Mexican » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:02 am

I don't see how today's game "has become much quicker" as is repeated time and time again every Sunday.

On offense these Redskins played hard and fast, really fast. One of the best offenses ever.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:05 pm

El Mexican wrote:I don't see how today's game "has become much quicker" as is repeated time and time again every Sunday.

On offense these Redskins played hard and fast, really fast. One of the best offenses ever.

Players are bigger now, but speed? No.

What I noticed:

- Game was much closer than I remembered.

- Dexter, oh, wow, Dexter! A couple of jaw-dropping plays: end of half clobberation of Danny White and wipe-out batted ball that caused the Darryl Grant INT/TD that really ended the game.

- Redskin OL, our Hogs, and especially that LT. Jacoby or something like that. Might have become pretty decent, although the HoF voters tell me I'm mistaken.

- John Madden likes the way Joe Gibbs coaches. Ah...Summerall and Madden. A pleasure to hear them do a game.

Hog

Postby El Mexican » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:20 pm

welch wrote:
El Mexican wrote:I don't see how today's game "has become much quicker" as is repeated time and time again every Sunday.

Players are bigger now, but speed? No.

What I noticed:

- Game was much closer than I remembered.

- Dexter, oh, wow, Dexter! A couple of jaw-dropping plays: end of half clobberation of Danny White and wipe-out batted ball that caused the Darryl Grant INT/TD that really ended the game.

- Redskin OL, our Hogs, and especially that LT. Jacoby or something like that. Might have become pretty decent, although the HoF voters tell me I'm mistaken.

- John Madden likes the way Joe Gibbs coaches. Ah...Summerall and Madden. A pleasure to hear them do a game.

Don't forget about The Diesel. And Joe T. Unlike most stars of today, these guys played lights-out, taking no plays off.

Man, if could measure effort and skill level, this game would be near the top the list. We brought our "A game".

(only being surpassed in both physicality and "game-smarts" when Gibbs faced The Tuna, Bill Walsh or whoever coached Philly at the end of the 80s)

A far cry from what we've grown accustomed today.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football