If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:29 pm

Postby absinthe1023 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:53 pm

andyjens89 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:As for Lloyd, he has ZERO trade value.


We could probably trade him for Charles Rogers or Mike Williams


We could probably trade him for a 6" Subway ham sandwich and 4 used kicking tees.....
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor


As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Pushing Paper
Online
Posts: 4617
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:17 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Jeremy81 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Why do so many think that ANYONE would want Lloyd in a trade?????? What are you people thinking? Does Detroit owe us something? :roll:


because we did...and it's detroit. why wouldn't they if a 2nd round pick is included? :roll: :roll:


Why would Detroit trade Roy Williams for anything other than a 1st round pick? He is very young and already one of the best receivers in the NFL. As for Lloyd, he has ZERO trade value.


Exactly. Everyone knows we're going to cut him. If you as a FO are really pressed to go after Lloyd...and God knows why you would be, you know you can get him as a free agent very soon.

New Trade. Peyton Manning for Mark Brunell and Brandon Lloyd. Oh fine. We'll throw in LaVar Arrington, too.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 803
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 am
Location: NORTH CAROLINA

Re: If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Postby LOSTHOG » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 am

por-tiz2skins wrote:PS:Remember this now that Zorn is our HC,well be looking to get Hackett in here.



I'm not bashing, just asking...What is your fascination with Hackett? You have mentioned bringing him to DC in about 20 threads, both before and after Zorn was named coach.

Hog
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Re: If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Postby por-tiz2skins » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:10 pm

LOSTHOG wrote:
por-tiz2skins wrote:PS:Remember this now that Zorn is our HC,well be looking to get Hackett in here.



I'm not bashing, just asking...What is your fascination with Hackett? You have mentioned bringing him to DC in about 20 threads, both before and after Zorn was named coach.
Because,I know we are:)
R.I.P

Sean Taylor-21#
Greatest safety ever and the most feared hardest hitting safety ever.

"I swear I'll Honor the number 21#"

-Clinton Portis

the 'mudge
Posts: 14834
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:44 pm

por-tiz2skins wrote:
LOSTHOG wrote:
por-tiz2skins wrote:PS:Remember this now that Zorn is our HC,well be looking to get Hackett in here.



I'm not bashing, just asking...What is your fascination with Hackett? You have mentioned bringing him to DC in about 20 threads, both before and after Zorn was named coach.
Because,I know we are:)


LOSTHOG... remember how, when you were real little, you used to believe that if you said something enough times, it would come true?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Canes Skin
Posts: 6673
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:15 pm

LOSTHOG wrote:
por-tiz2skins wrote:PS:Remember this now that Zorn is our HC,well be looking to get Hackett in here.



I'm not bashing, just asking...What is your fascination with Hackett? You have mentioned bringing him to DC in about 20 threads, both before and after Zorn was named coach.


Because since he played for Zorn in Seattle and is a UFA he is automatically going to sign with the Skins. :roll: Never mind the fact that Hackett is from California (might want to play close to home) and has been injury prone during his career so far, and hasn't yet proven to be an upgrade over any of our current receivers. Clearly he should be our #1 priority this offseason.
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:29 pm

Re: If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:53 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
LOSTHOG wrote:
por-tiz2skins wrote:PS:Remember this now that Zorn is our HC,well be looking to get Hackett in here.



I'm not bashing, just asking...What is your fascination with Hackett? You have mentioned bringing him to DC in about 20 threads, both before and after Zorn was named coach.


Because since he played for Zorn in Seattle and is a UFA he is automatically going to sign with the Skins. :roll: Never mind the fact that Hackett is from California (might want to play close to home) and has been injury prone during his career so far, and hasn't yet proven to be an upgrade over any of our current receivers. Clearly he should be our #1 priority this offseason.


You are correct about Hackett being injury prone, but when healthy he has the potential to be a dominant WR.

Look at what he did this year: he started 6 games this year, missing the first and last parts of the season with non-career threatening injuries.
In those 6 games, he accumulated 32 catches for 382 yds and 3 TDs, which projects over a full season to 85 catches for 1023 yds and 8 TDs.
I also think that it's reasonable to assume that he could maintain that level of production over the course of a full season. When he was in the lineup this year, he was undoubtedly the first option in the SEA passing game.

Hackett is a tall WR who has a knack for the end zone and can consistently get open. He also drops very few passes. He's also young and wouldn't break the bank. The biggest red flag is obviously the injury issue, but it is important to note that none of his injuries have been major, and he should be fully healthy for the start of next season.

I agree with you that Hackett shouldn't be the 'Skins number one priority, but he could definitely step in and start next year alongside Moss, where he would be a definite upgrade over anyone else on the roster right now. This would also allow Randle El to move inside to slot full-time, where he would be most effective.

The acquisition of Hackett could potentially solve the glaring weakness at WR on this team, and would allow all of this year's high draft picks to go towards both lines and CB, instead of drafting a rookie WR in the first round or trading away the future for Chad Johnson.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor


As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6673
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:38 am

I agree that Hackett is a talented guy, but there is no way that you sign him to be a starting receiver because of his injury history. He has been in the league for 4 years and has been hurt every season. He missed the entire 2004 due to a hip injury. He missed time because of a knee injury during the 2005 season. In 2006 he hurt his ankle and missed time, including a playoff game. In 2007 he missed 10 games because of an ankle injury. I just don't see how you can sign someone with that type of injury history and count on them to play for you.
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:29 pm

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:08 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:I agree that Hackett is a talented guy, but there is no way that you sign him to be a starting receiver because of his injury history. He has been in the league for 4 years and has been hurt every season. He missed the entire 2004 due to a hip injury. He missed time because of a knee injury during the 2005 season. In 2006 he hurt his ankle and missed time, including a playoff game. In 2007 he missed 10 games because of an ankle injury. I just don't see how you can sign someone with that type of injury history and count on them to play for you.


Are you familiar with the concept of low risk, high reward?

Hackett would be relatively-cheap to sign. He's very productive when healthy, so the only legitimate concern (and it is a big one) is injury.
He's still a young player, and his injuries haven't affected his speed and route-running and are not career-threatening. There have been players who have had long, productive careers despite having injury issues early on; look no further than Fred Taylor for an excellent example.

As of right now, he is 100% healthy. I agree that he's a gamble, but you need to take a gamble here and again if the risk/reward profile is stacked in your favor.

Hackett could be signed cheaply, leading to two basic possibilities:

Hackett gets injured at some point during the season, but is productive in a familiar offense when on the field. This already puts him ahead of Lloyd, Thrash, Mix, et al.

Hackett remains healthy all year, and starts opposite Moss with Randle El in the slot. The 'Skins suddenly have one of the most productive and versatile passing games in the league (imagine having to account for these 3 WRs, Cooley, and Portis out of the backfield), Hackett is possibly a Pro Bowler, and Zorn looks like a young Joe Gibbs at the helm of Washington's offense.

Keep in mind that both of these scenarios (unlike a trade for Chad Johnson or drafting a WR early in the draft) allow the Redskins to save cap space AND use their early round draft picks for linemen and corners.

Hackett is a cheap FA who could end up being a vital cog for years to come...hopefully Zorn feels the same and will talk the two-headed monster into picking him up.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor


As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6673
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:54 am

Hackett would be relatively-cheap to sign.


I wouldn't be so sure. The free agent class is very weak at WR this year so there may be a team that is willing to overpay to get him. Either way, he's not going to be so cheap that you can just stash him on your roster and hope that he pans out. Considering McCardell is likely gone and there is no way that Lloyd is back, we need a starting caliber receiver. We can't fill that position with an injury risk such as Hackett. Also, I highly doubt that we would be able to sign another starter and also sign Hackett.
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1035
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am

Re: If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Postby spenser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:50 pm

You make a lot of sense for someone drinking absinthe

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:43 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Jeremy81 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Why do so many think that ANYONE would want Lloyd in a trade?????? What are you people thinking? Does Detroit owe us something? :roll:


because we did...and it's detroit. why wouldn't they if a 2nd round pick is included? :roll: :roll:


Why would Detroit trade Roy Williams for anything other than a 1st round pick? He is very young and already one of the best receivers in the NFL. As for Lloyd, he has ZERO trade value.


Maybe, because Randy Moss was traded for a fourth round pick. NO ONE gives ups 1st round picks for players any more, except maybe us, because we don't value our draft picks!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:29 pm

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:08 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Hackett would be relatively-cheap to sign.


I wouldn't be so sure. The free agent class is very weak at WR this year so there may be a team that is willing to overpay to get him. Either way, he's not going to be so cheap that you can just stash him on your roster and hope that he pans out. Considering McCardell is likely gone and there is no way that Lloyd is back, we need a starting caliber receiver. We can't fill that position with an injury risk such as Hackett. Also, I highly doubt that we would be able to sign another starter and also sign Hackett.


Hackett would be a bargain to sign compared to trading for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams, and would also likely be cheaper than signing Limas Sweed (who would also cost the 'Skins a first round draft pick).
Can you name another free agent WR with Hackett's upside who would be available for less?
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor


As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1348
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:29 pm

Re: If not Chad than maybe Roy Williams (WR) ?

Postby absinthe1023 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:16 pm

spenser wrote:You make a lot of sense for someone drinking absinthe


Funny you should mention that....
Before I started drinking it, I thought we should trade next year's first and second round picks for Chad Johnson, draft Limas Sweed in the first round this year, trade Jason Campbell to Tampa Bay for Jeff Garcia and Joey Galloway, and hire Jerry Glanville as Head Coach/GM to install the "Red Gun" offense.....
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor


As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6673
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01 pm

absinthe1023 wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:
Hackett would be relatively-cheap to sign.


I wouldn't be so sure. The free agent class is very weak at WR this year so there may be a team that is willing to overpay to get him. Either way, he's not going to be so cheap that you can just stash him on your roster and hope that he pans out. Considering McCardell is likely gone and there is no way that Lloyd is back, we need a starting caliber receiver. We can't fill that position with an injury risk such as Hackett. Also, I highly doubt that we would be able to sign another starter and also sign Hackett.


Hackett would be a bargain to sign compared to trading for Chad Johnson or Roy Williams, and would also likely be cheaper than signing Limas Sweed (who would also cost the 'Skins a first round draft pick).
Can you name another free agent WR with Hackett's upside who would be available for less?


Bryant Johnson from the Cardinals is an UFA and he doesn't have the injury history of Hackett.

I would take Sweed over Hackett every single time. Sweed is bigger, younger, and healthier than Hackett. Hackett has missed over 30 games in his NFL career thus far. Relying on someone like that is stupid when you are need of starting caliber receiver.
Suck and Luck

Return to General Manager's Office