Jay Feely released from Dolphins

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
spudstr04

Jay Feely released from Dolphins

Postby spudstr04 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:24 pm

I know this should be in FantasyLand, but I just saw that Jay Feely was released from the Fins a minute ago on ESPNEWS. I think that the Skins should take a look at him as serious competition against the Suisher.

He played for the NY Giants, so he should be able to knock the kicks in when we go to the Meadowlands.

We don't have much salary room now that we traded for Jason Taylor, but if he would take the minimum, he'd be a good sign.

He went 21 for 23 last year with a long 53 yrds.

As I was looking up the info for Feely, I noticed that Suisham was the 5th best kicker as far as FG's made in the NFL.
#21 = Forever in our hearts

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:23 pm

You have to ask yourself a question, though - why would the 'phins release him in the first place? Good kickers are tough to come by, and I don't think they'd let him go if her were any better than Squeegee.
Last edited by joebagadonuts on Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Suisham is getting close to taking Rod Gardner's old nickname...

50/50
HAIL

Postby yupchagee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 pm

Feeley was released with a groin injury. We already have enough injured players, no need to sign another 1.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:12 pm

yupchagee wrote:Feeley was released with a groin injury. We already have enough injured players, no need to sign another 1.

Its the opposite of a hamstring injury, though, so perhaps it would balance out our IR list.
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

piglet

Postby rod_gardner_fan_club » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:48 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:Suisham is getting close to taking Rod Gardner's old nickname...

50/50

someone say rod gardner?

anyways, i think suisham is just fine. for a second i misread this as "jay fielder" and was wondering why we'd want him so bad.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:07 am

JansenFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:Feeley was released with a groin injury. We already have enough injured players, no need to sign another 1.

Its the opposite of a hamstring injury, though, so perhaps it would balance out our IR list.

ROTFALMAO
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:37 am

Gibbs4Life wrote:Suisham is getting close to taking Rod Gardner's old nickname...

50/50

How do you figure?

He finished last season with the SECOND HIGHEST FG COMPLETION PERCENTAGE in Redskins history.

Only Moseley's 20/21 1982 season has ever been better.

To me, 83% and 50% are pretty far apart.

Which is exactly why we wouldn't have any interest in another kicker, let alone a damaged one.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:11 am

Did you cacth his kickoffs last week...high and deep! It's been a while since we've had a kicker who can do that.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

G4L

Postby Gibbs4Life » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:04 pm

How do you figure?

I figure by the fact that whenever he goes back to kick, no matter if its from 15 yards or 50 yards you just never know how he's going to kick. 83% is a good number and if that's correct then good for him, still missing the 30 yarder in pre-season is scary, he did make a decent one from 46 in this last game I believe so, is he a good kicker yeah sometimes, is he automatic heck no. The reason we don't have any competition for him is that they're aren't any quality kickers availible, I did like Novak though he just sucked on kickoffs.
HAIL

The Evil Straw

Postby Fios » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:
How do you figure?

I figure by the fact that whenever he goes back to kick, no matter if its from 15 yards or 50 yards you just never know how he's going to kick. 83% is a good number and if that's correct then good for him, still missing the 30 yarder in pre-season is scary, he did make a decent one from 46 in this last game I believe so, is he a good kicker yeah sometimes, is he automatic heck no. The reason we don't have any competition for him is that they're aren't any quality kickers availible, I did like Novak though he just sucked on kickoffs.

Well, first, 83% means you can reasonably assume the kick has a better than 50/50 chance. Of course 83% is correct, you think he's going to make up stats? You can look this stuff up you know ... or just do the math yourself. If you did bother to look it up, you'd see that not only is 83% correct, only FOUR kickers in the entire NFL made more field goals than Suisham last season.
RIP Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:42 pm

My beef with Suisham has never been accuracy, but leg strength. I remember him attempting a 45 yarder and not making it out of the endzone one game last year... Also, he was HORRIBLE on kickoffs! Only 6 touchbacks in 72 kickoffs... 8.3% - good for 26th in the NFL..... I've seen him kickoff to the 20 yard line, which is terrible for field position. This preseason he has looked better at kicking off and even though he shanked the 39 yarder, he had good distance. Hopefully he has improved his strength where he can consistantly kick it long.

My 2 cents
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby redskingush » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:42 am

signing a bunch of kickers isnt the awnser, the awnser is let score touchdowns instead of settling for FG attempts.
GO SKINS GO!!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:44 am

andyjens89 wrote:My beef with Suisham has never been accuracy, but leg strength. I remember him attempting a 45 yarder and not making it out of the endzone one game last year... Also, he was HORRIBLE on kickoffs! Only 6 touchbacks in 72 kickoffs... 8.3% - good for 26th in the NFL..... I've seen him kickoff to the 20 yard line, which is terrible for field position. This preseason he has looked better at kicking off and even though he shanked the 39 yarder, he had good distance. Hopefully he has improved his strength where he can consistantly kick it long.

My 2 cents

Remember that the shank was with Brooks holding for him. He nailed the 49 yd field goal last week when Frost was holding. That may have had something to do with it.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:45 pm

Gibbs4Life wrote:
How do you figure?

i agree that whole statement. how can you hit close to a 50 yarder in bad winds in NY but cant hit a 30 something yarder in seattle?
i would love to have a kicker that everytime he goes to kick a 40 yard FG i am confident he will make it. suisham hasnt even got my confidence on a 30 yarder
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Return to General Manager's Office