Skins face dilemma at 13th pick

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!

Who would you draft at #13?

Brian Cushing
27%
Clay Matthews
3%
Andre Smith
27%
Tyson Jackson
7%
Michael Oher
37%
Everette Brown
No votes
Michael Johnson
No votes
Eben Britton
No votes

Total votes : 30
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:51 am

fleetus wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
fleetus wrote:I have to say, I personally don't like the situation the Skins are in here. (hence the title of this thread)

Maybe you need to look up the definition of the word dilemma. I'm just saying. :twisted:

Maybe if all your offering in a post is a potshot, you should know what you're talking about :roll:

Dilemma: is a problem offering at least two solutions or possibilities, of which none are practically acceptable

which is exactly what I intended it to mean in my thread, so, not sure what your point was.

I don't know where you got that definition, but a dilemma is a is a situation with two or more equally undesirable solutions. I don't see the negatives here. Even using your definition, the word doesn't fit. But the misuse of that word is one of my pet peeves. It ranks up there with irregardless for me. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi, though, and I did add the :twisted: smiley, so don't take offense. :P
Last edited by Deadskins on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:52 am

For the record, Cushing and Matthews were very impressive at USC's Pro Day workouts yesterday. Maualuga looked good in drills, but you could tell he was still moving cautiously due to his tender hamstring. He said he's not 100% yet.

If the team keeps their 13th pick and targets a LB, I wouldn't have a problem with Cushing. I still like Maualuga, but Cushing looked very good and if the doctors say his injury history is of no concern, I'd be happy with him as well.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 am

fleetus wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:The top of my board is Orakpo, Andre Smith and Maualuga, in that order.

:shock:
CT was right about that windsock thing! :lol:

What are you talking about? :lol:

I think Deadskins might have been -drinking and typing. :lol:

I have been known to do that on occasion, but this is not one of them. SF stated on page one of this very thread that Andre Smith was his #1 pick. He voted that way in the poll, too. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby fleetus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:38 pm

Deadskins wrote:
fleetus wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
fleetus wrote:I have to say, I personally don't like the situation the Skins are in here. (hence the title of this thread)

Maybe you need to look up the definition of the word dilemma. I'm just saying. :twisted:

Maybe if all your offering in a post is a potshot, you should know what you're talking about :roll:

Dilemma: is a problem offering at least two solutions or possibilities, of which none are practically acceptable

which is exactly what I intended it to mean in my thread, so, not sure what your point was.

I don't know where you got that definition, but a dilemma is a is a situation with two or more equally undesirable solutions. I don't see the negatives here. Even using your definition, the word doesn't fit. But the misuse of that word is one of my pet peeves. It ranks up there with irregardless for me. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi, though, and I did add the :twisted: smiley, so don't take offense. :P

Funny, because one of my pet peeves are people who bring semantic arguments to disrupt the flow of valid debate. :lol:

So are we butting heads or just butt heads? :lol:

Google's first hit on the word dilemma, good old Wikipedia :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilemma

notice they also use "stuck between a rock and a hard place" as an example.

I think it would be undesirable to stay at 13 with the options available to us. I also feel our options to move up or down from 13 to get better value are equally undesirable.

I feel those options, most likely, will not be worth what a #13 would bring most years. I believe we are in a third tier of the 1st round. There are 5 top tier players, blue-chippers. Then another 5 or so 2nd tier players who have a great combination of talent, potential and intangibles to make you think they will be great additions to the NFL. We are in a third tier where there about 15-18 players are all very good with some question marks. I feel the teams with the #20-25 picks will be getting very similar value to us at 13. I believe other teams know this and therefore will have very little interest in paying to move up to 13. Hence the dilemma. If you stay at 13, you may be unhappy. Yet the options to move out of 13 don't exist unless you do it on the cheap. Resulting again in disappointment. You gamble on a player viewed as a top tier talent with all sorts of character issues, again, unhappiness.

But hey, this is what separates the men from the boys. Real NFL FO's hunker down and split hairs over every rookie. The boys just give up and try to buy their players after someone else does the homework for them. If the Skins out scout the other teams, we will turn our 13th pick into a great addition to the team.
Build through the draft!

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Deadskins wrote:SF stated on page one of this very thread that Andre Smith was his #1 pick. He voted that way in the poll, too. :wink:

Actually, I can understand the confusion. When I was talking about Andre Smith, I meant from the perspective of who might be available. Orakpo has always been my true #1 desire, but I know he'll be long gone. His stock rose over the past few weeks, at least since the combine. There was one point early on when he was projected in the 10-15 range and I think Kiper had him going our way as well. But his stock has risen since and he'll be loooong gone by #13. If Andre is there, I'd take him. I know fleetus doesn't like that move, but I do... at least for today. :wink:

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:11 pm

I came to this thread and was surprised that Maualuga wasn't a choice in the poll, but then found he was the main topic of discussion. I'd vote for him if I could.

Thing is, I agree that OT is the bigger need, but Maualuga is more of a sure thing than our other choices at 13, and I prefer to draft the best player available whenever remotely reasonable.

As for Cushing being a better fit for us on the outside, he is almost identical in size to Rey-Rey, but slightly slower, and they have both played outside at USC at one time or another, so combine that with Cushing's injury history (we've had enough of that), and Maualuga's penchant for making the game changing plays, the choice is an easy one for me. Truth is, he had me at "biggest hitter in the draft" and "best ILB prospect in 5 years".

Also, good point whoever it was that mentioned the idea of bringing some of ST's headhunter aggressiveness back to our D. I can smell what the Rock is cookin!

I heard somewhere that Cerrato and Pete Carrol are tight, so if we do choose a USC LB, no matter which one we get, it's safe to assume that he comes highly recommended.

Then we can stilll target a OT in round 3. Check out the Cadogan kid from Penn State. He has a lot of potential along with a few other guys that should be around in the 3rd. The projected drop-off from the top 4 OT's to them is less than the difference between Rey-Rey and the LB's that will likely be available in the 3rd.

I've also heard that this draft's 1st tier has about 13 or so players in it, and then a drop-off, so we are in a great position.

Also, PSA for whoever is interested, a month or so ago, I discovered that there are a plethora (El Guapo) of FREE draft related podcasts availlable on iTunes. it's good, yes. Christmas is coming boys!

Hog

Postby fleetus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:51 pm

funbuncher wrote:I came to this thread and was surprised that Maualuga wasn't a choice in the poll, but then found he was the main topic of discussion. I'd vote for him if I could.

Thing is, I agree that OT is the bigger need, but Maualuga is more of a sure thing than our other choices at 13, and I prefer to draft the best player available whenever remotely reasonable.

As for Cushing being a better fit for us on the outside, he is almost identical in size to Rey-Rey, but slightly slower, and they have both played outside at USC at one time or another, so combine that with Cushing's injury history (we've had enough of that), and Maualuga's penchant for making the game changing plays, the choice is an easy one for me. Truth is, he had me at "biggest hitter in the draft" and "best ILB prospect in 5 years".

Also, good point whoever it was that mentioned the idea of bringing some of ST's headhunter aggressiveness back to our D. I can smell what the Rock is cookin!

I heard somewhere that Cerrato and Pete Carrol are tight, so if we do choose a USC LB, no matter which one we get, it's safe to assume that he comes highly recommended.

Then we can stilll target a OT in round 3. Check out the Cadogan kid from Penn State. He has a lot of potential along with a few other guys that should be around in the 3rd. The projected drop-off from the top 4 OT's to them is less than the difference between Rey-Rey and the LB's that will likely be available in the 3rd.

I've also heard that this draft's 1st tier has about 13 or so players in it, and then a drop-off, so we are in a great position.

Also, PSA for whoever is interested, a month or so ago, I discovered that there are a plethora (El Guapo) of FREE draft related podcasts availlable on iTunes. it's good, yes. Christmas is coming boys!

With needs at OT, OG, DE and OLB, I just don't see the skins spending their only pick of the top 75 on a position that already has one of the top 3 most solid players of our whole team, London Fletcher. I like Maualuga and generally agree you should draft best player available, so long as it makes sense. Will he get substantial playing time, will he work in your system etc. Not sure how much playing time Rey would get behind Fletcher. So, I don't see it as more than a remote chance.
Build through the draft!

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:27 pm

fleetus wrote:
funbuncher wrote:I came to this thread and was surprised that Maualuga wasn't a choice in the poll, but then found he was the main topic of discussion. I'd vote for him if I could.

With needs at OT, OG, DE and OLB, I just don't see the skins spending their only pick of the top 75 on a position that already has one of the top 3 most solid players of our whole team, London Fletcher. I like Maualuga and generally agree you should draft best player available, so long as it makes sense. Will he get substantial playing time, will he work in your system etc. Not sure how much playing time Rey would get behind Fletcher. So, I don't see it as more than a remote chance.

I think the idea behind drafting Maluaga is that he'd play SLB, and then when Fletcher retired, he'd take over for MLB.

I like him a lot, but I'd still go OT if we can, though.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 pm

PulpExposure wrote:I think the idea behind drafting Maluaga is that he'd play SLB, and then when Fletcher retired, he'd take over for MLB.

Totally agree, Pulp. Interestingly, Colin Cowherd had Pete Carroll on his radio show today. Answering questions about the LB's, Carroll said teams may find that Cushing is actually better suited on the inside, depending on the scheme. Regarding Maualuga, Carroll said teams will be most impressed with his side-line to side-line speed, coverage skills and the fact that he's a big hitter. That came straight from Carroll. So based on his take, it appears Cushing and Maualuga could play both inside and outside. I think it's just a matter of taste... some like Cush and some like Rey.

But like you, Pulp, I still see OT as a slightly bigger need. But, at this point in time, many of these draft guys now predict that all four top OT's could go in the top 10-12 (Oher, Smith, Smith and Monroe). When you see the teams "put on the clock" on shows like the Path To The Draft" or see other teams message boards, it's also amazing how many teams are hoping to trade back.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:37 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:I think the idea behind drafting Maluaga is that he'd play SLB, and then when Fletcher retired, he'd take over for MLB.

Totally agree, Pulp. Interestingly, Colin Cowherd had Pete Carroll on his radio show today. Answering questions about the LB's, Carroll said teams may find that Cushing is actually better suited on the inside, depending on the scheme. Regarding Maualuga, Carroll said teams will be most impressed with his side-line to side-line speed, coverage skills and the fact that he's a big hitter. That came straight from Carroll. So based on his take, it appears Cushing and Maualuga could play both inside and outside. I think it's just a matter of taste... some like Cush and some like Rey.

But like you, Pulp, I still see OT as a slightly bigger need. But, at this point in time, many of these draft guys now predict that all four top OT's could go in the top 10-12 (Oher, Smith, Smith and Monroe). When you see the teams "put on the clock" on shows like the Path To The Draft" or see other teams message boards, it's also amazing how many teams are hoping to trade back.

Interesting stuff. I have to say, boy do I like Maualuga, personally. But I'm not sold that he would do as well at SLB. It seems like MLB is one of those positions you can scout and find great players in later rounds sometimes. Kind of like RB too. So, I would rather draft a later round guy to groom behind Fletcher. But, that's right , we did that already and his name is H. B. Blades. :wink:
Build through the draft!

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:57 pm

I think the most likely scenario will find us unable to trade back, and 3 of the 4 top tackles gone. Obviously, I have no idea what our draft board looks like, but at that point, I think/hope we are choosing between Oher and Maualuga.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 am

fleetus wrote:Interesting stuff. I have to say, boy do I like Maualuga, personally. But I'm not sold that he would do as well at SLB.

Why? If Carroll says he can, what makes you think he can't? Just curious.

fleetus wrote:It seems like MLB is one of those positions you can scout and find great players in later rounds sometimes. Kind of like RB too. So, I would rather draft a later round guy to groom behind Fletcher. But, that's right , we did that already and his name is H. B. Blades. :wink:

Right, and in the latest article on Redskins.com, Blades is in the mix to play... that's right, OLB. But again, Blades isn't even in the same stratosphere talent wise as Maualuga. So I'm not sure why Blades, a 5'10 former 6th round ILB can play outside, but a far more talented player like Maualuga, can't. Blades is perfect for depth, but makes me slightly nervous as a starter.

And just to reiterate, I don't think Maualuga is a "primary target", as OT is a more pressing need, in my opinion. But if both Oher and Smith are gone, there's such a drop-off in talent to the next best OT that LB then has to be considered, that's all I'm saying. If we can get Oher or Smith, that's the way to go, in my opinion. I've seen some coaches tape on Oher now and I'm warming up to the idea of taking him as well. He could be very good at RT.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:25 am

So I'm not sure why Blades, a 5'10 former 6th round ILB can play outside, but a far more talented player like Maualuga, can't.

Blades shouldn't be in the mix to start on the outside, not at his size. Filling in for a game or two when we have injuries is one thing, playing on the outside on a regular basis while vastly undersized is totally different.
Suck and Luck

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:04 am

SkinsFreak wrote:
fleetus wrote:Interesting stuff. I have to say, boy do I like Maualuga, personally. But I'm not sold that he would do as well at SLB.

Why? If Carroll says he can, what makes you think he can't? Just curious.

fleetus wrote:It seems like MLB is one of those positions you can scout and find great players in later rounds sometimes. Kind of like RB too. So, I would rather draft a later round guy to groom behind Fletcher. But, that's right , we did that already and his name is H. B. Blades. :wink:

Right, and in the latest article on Redskins.com, Blades is in the mix to play... that's right, OLB. But again, Blades isn't even in the same stratosphere talent wise as Maualuga. So I'm not sure why Blades, a 5'10 former 6th round ILB can play outside, but a far more talented player like Maualuga, can't. Blades is perfect for depth, but makes me slightly nervous as a starter.

And just to reiterate, I don't think Maualuga is a "primary target", as OT is a more pressing need, in my opinion. But if both Oher and Smith are gone, there's such a drop-off in talent to the next best OT that LB then has to be considered, that's all I'm saying. If we can get Oher or Smith, that's the way to go, in my opinion. I've seen some coaches tape on Oher now and I'm warming up to the idea of taking him as well. He could be very good at RT.

You don't use the 13th overall pick on a RT. We can fill that hole in the 3rd round. Go LB or DE in the 1st.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby T 4D » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Maualuga anyone?

Return to General Manager's Office