Redskins First Round overview

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
B-rad

Redskins First Round overview

Postby brad7686 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:53 am

The Washington Redskins have once again found themselves in a position where they have many needs and few draft picks. A popular trend in previous drafts has been to trade back early in the draft to accrue more selections in later rounds. The Redskins’ first pick in the draft is #13 in the first round, and they don’t pick again until #80 in the third round.

Many would say the Redskins biggest need is at Offensive Tackle, but the highest rated Tackles could all be gone by their first pick. Jason Smith of Baylor, Eugene Monroe of Virginia, and Andre Smith of Alabama could very possibly be selected before pick #13.

The Redskins also have glaring holes at Defensive End and Outside Linebacker. H.B. Blades, who is really a MLB, has been playing SAM OLB and is the best option there at the moment. The release of DE Jason Taylor leaves the ‘Skins with only unproven players and aging veterans at DE, aside from Andre Carter. Unfortunately, this draft offers few elite options at DE or OLB as far as 4-3 defenses are concerned. Brian Orakpo of Texas, possibly the best DE in the draft, will be gone. As will talented Wake Forest OLB Aaron Curry. These facts suggest it may be a good idea for the Redskins to trade back.

With the exception of LSU DE Tyson Jackson, USC OLB’s Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews, and Ole Miss OT Michael Oher, there are not many players within the Skins’ need areas worth drafting at pick #13. It is quite debatable whether those players are even worth that pick, and many scouts would argue that they are not. Jackson is very stout against the run, but lacks the pass rush ability many look for in a DE. Cushing is very strong and agile at LB, but he does not have elite straight-line speed and has injury concerns. Matthews, who played DE at USC, did well at the combine, but was a project in college and was not extremely dominant at that level. Oher is a great Offensive Tackle at times, but is inconsistent and lacks elite athleticism.

In addition, there are many suitable players for the Redskins farther back in the first round, if they were able to swing a trade. At Offensive Tackle, there are tough players like Eben Britton of Arizona, or possibly Oher, if he falls. It is also likely that one of the Cushing-Matthews combo will be there in the later half of the first round. At DE, Tennessee’s Robert Ayers is a possibility. He had a strong season, and impressed scouts in the Senior Bowl. Other options include explosive USC MLB Rey Maualuga, who could feasibly play outside, or the ‘Skins could take a WR. Injuries have plagued WR Malcolm Kelly, who was taken in the second round last year. WR Devin Thomas, also a 2nd rounder from last year, has not shown he will be a viable option at receiver either. If the skins don’t see anything they like at bigger need areas, don’t be surprised if they select former Terp speedster Darrius Heyward-Bey, versatile Florida WR Percy Harvin, or the very tough Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina. Of course, all of this is based upon a trade actually happening.

It is quite possible USC QB Mark Sanchez will be available, which could spark a trade from someone, as draft history has shown. If a trade does not occur, look for the Redskins to take one of the aforementioned players that they feel is most deserving of a pick that high.

http://www.thehogs.net/blogs/category/nfl-draft/

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 am

One of the recent mock drafts has the 49ers picking Stafford at 10, but I read somewhere today that he wouldnt speak to their shrink about his parent's divorce so they aint interested anymore ...

.. that drops him to 11 :)

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:39 am

Manchester_Redskin wrote:One of the recent mock drafts has the 49ers picking Stafford at 10, but I read somewhere today that he wouldnt speak to their shrink about his parent's divorce so they aint interested anymore ...

It's been reported that Stafford had a very impressive private work-out for the Lions yesterday. The reports are that he was even more impressive than his performance at his recent Pro Day work-out. The Lions had a large contingent at this private work-out and I believe they were impressed enough to take him with the first over-all pick in the draft.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:59 am

SkinsFreak wrote:
Manchester_Redskin wrote:One of the recent mock drafts has the 49ers picking Stafford at 10, but I read somewhere today that he wouldnt speak to their shrink about his parent's divorce so they aint interested anymore ...

It's been reported that Stafford had a very impressive private work-out for the Lions yesterday. The reports are that he was even more impressive than his performance at his recent Pro Day work-out. The Lions had a large contingent at this private work-out and I believe they were impressed enough to take him with the first over-all pick in the draft.

Yea, I think when its all said and done the lions will take him. But I could be wrong. I included Maualuga in the possibilities in the first, you convinced me its possible.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am

Hopefully it's a lot more possible than those other options of drafting a player like Ayers, Tyson Jackson, Caly Matthews, or Cushing higher than their value.

Maualuga was the only name on that list of possibilities above (IMO) that warrants the #13 pick.

I agree that the Lions will go Stafford at 1. If they don't though, it becomes a lot more likely that one of the QB's would still be around at 13. I think Denver would like a QB at 12, but if Raji keeps dropping then they would have a hard time passing him up considering how bad their front 7 is. Who would have thought Raji could drop to 13 three weeks ago?

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts/guesses from folks about what the smart money says happens if one of the QB's is available at 13. All of a sudden, it's hard to even rule out us drafting a QB, but I doubt it. I think we've got our eye on a USC LB, I just don't know which one. If it's Cushing or Matthews, then they could very likely be available later if we trade down to a team wanting to move up for a QB.

I've heard multiple sources say that this draft drops off after about the top 13 or so players, so it might be wise to sit tight this year and take the best player on the board.

I think it's very possible that one of these guys are available when we pick:

B.J. Raji
Andre Smith
Maualuga

Any would be great VALUE at 13. Smith fills the greatest need and was considered the top overall prospect in the draft at one point last year. Him and Raji would both be considered a "steal" at 13 by the experts. Maualuga is the safest of the 3 though. We plug that guy in for the next decade and let him make plays behind Haynesworth like Ray Lewis does behind Haloti Ngata. In the meantime, he can play outside and our weakness at LB becomes a strength, with him starting alongside Fletch and Rocky, with Blades providing depth.

If all 3 are gone, it looks at this point like Michael Oher will be available. Oher has as much potential (athleticly) as Jason Smith. I almost prefer him over Andre Smith due to that, but I just don't trust his inconsistency. Andre Smith has not exactly instilled a lot of confidence lately either. He had to know that his whole future was on the line recently, yet he still managed to get suspended for his bowl game and then acted like a head-case at the combine. His man-tits were pretty gross, but I suspect he has played with them all along, so I won't hold that against him. I'd like to see some tape of him and Oher going against the same SEC defensive ends for a good comparison. I'll check youtube eventually. According to Kiper, worst case scenario, Smith can be a dominant RIGHT tackle in the league(which of course we could desperately use).

Thanks for the analysis above, good stuff.

Return to General Manager's Office