Robert Ayers- DE, Tennessee

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
B-rad

Robert Ayers- DE, Tennessee

Postby brad7686 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:10 pm

McShay has us taking him at 13 in BOTH of his last two Mock updates. In fact, Scouts Inc. has moved up his ranking significantly. What do you guys think of this? I think it would be acceptable, not ideal. He has a good size/speed combo, and has an interesting variety of pass rush moves. He's fun to watch on tape. Sure tackler. He won't be an elite edge rusher, but its not foolish to think he could be an 8-10 sack guy in the NFL simply with his all-around game. Should be stout against the run as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAR9Qb3liRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

piggie

Postby SkinsSince96 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24 pm

I like Robert Ayers but I dont have him going as high as recent mock drafts. He looked great in the senior bowl but theres just other players I have ranked ahead of him. Right now I got him as a high 2nd round pick. That could change as the draft draws closer. I think he could crack the bottom half of the 1st round but right now I dont see it.
RIP Sean Taylor (1983-2007)
Skins Picks: 1(13) 3(80) 5(150) 6(186) 7(243)Top Needs: OT, DE, OLB Who I want at 13: One of the Top 4 OTs, B.Orakpo, E.Brown, or trade down.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:11 am

Unless he's a standout, I prefer RT addressed in the 1st round. I realize that this is heavily reliant upon the 12 teams ahead of us, but I would be more comfortable with RT being tagged as our largest need. I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking about when we lost the whole rt side of the line and always ran left. :puke:
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Don't overlook the Vols connection. Haynesworth would probably appreciate having a rookie from Tenn. coming to play on the line! Snyder has done this before by repeatedly acquiring Miami Hurricanes.

As for Ayers, well, there are some who feel he is much better than conventional wisdom. NFL Network's Mike Mayock has him listed as the 5th best prospect overall, in the whole draft! and the top defensive end in the draft. Basically, Mayock views Ayers with huge potential. Everyone agrees he is rising up the board, but the amount of potential seems to be up for debate.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/24/ayers-a ... e-pro-day/
Build through the draft!

piggie

Postby SkinsSince96 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm

fleetus wrote: Don't overlook the Vols connection. Haynesworth would probably appreciate having a rookie from Tenn. coming to play on the line! Snyder has done this before by repeatedly acquiring Miami Hurricanes.

If we draft a player over another just because hes a Vol that shows our front office has some serious mental problems.

fleetus wrote:As for Ayers, well, there are some who feel he is much better than conventional wisdom. NFL Network's Mike Mayock has him listed as the 5th best prospect overall, in the whole draft! and the top defensive end in the draft. Basically, Mayock views Ayers with huge potential. Everyone agrees he is rising up the board, but the amount of potential seems to be up for debate.

Mayock has him overrated imo. At the sametime I do think Ayers is a very solid DE prospect. If the Skins traded down and got him id be happy.
Skins Picks: 1(13) 3(80) 5(150) 6(186) 7(243)Top Needs: OT, DE, OLB Who I want at 13: One of the Top 4 OTs, B.Orakpo, E.Brown, or trade down.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:51 pm

SkinsSince96 wrote:
fleetus wrote: Don't overlook the Vols connection. Haynesworth would probably appreciate having a rookie from Tenn. coming to play on the line! Snyder has done this before by repeatedly acquiring Miami Hurricanes.

If we draft a player over another just because hes a Vol that shows our front office has some serious mental problems.

fleetus wrote:As for Ayers, well, there are some who feel he is much better than conventional wisdom. NFL Network's Mike Mayock has him listed as the 5th best prospect overall, in the whole draft! and the top defensive end in the draft. Basically, Mayock views Ayers with huge potential. Everyone agrees he is rising up the board, but the amount of potential seems to be up for debate.

Mayock has him overrated imo. At the sametime I do think Ayers is a very solid DE prospect. If the Skins traded down and got him id be happy.

Don't take the Vols comment too seriously. It's just a noteworthy detail.

What about Ayers makes you think he's overrated by Mayock?
Build through the draft!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:17 am

I like what i see on the field, but the combine numbers were poor. I really don't know why he has moved up so much. He ran a 4.9 forty and was among the weakest on the bench.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

piggie

Postby SkinsSince96 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:23 am

fleetus wrote:What about Ayers makes you think he's overrated by Mayock?

He isnt the 5th best prospect in this draft. It would be hard for me to have him in the top 25 prospects for this draft.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:38 pm

As a UT alum, I like all things Vol, but Ayers is being over-rated/over-hyped from a great Senior Bowl. He didn't even start for us til his senior year, and then he led us in sacks with a whopping 3! How many is that going to translate to in the NFL?

On the positive side, I hear he was knocking another of our options (Michael Oher) around pretty good during Senior Bowl week...

I'd like to grab him with our 2nd round pick that we traded away to the Dolphins.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:53 am

funbuncher wrote:As a UT alum, I like all things Vol, but Ayers is being over-rated/over-hyped from a great Senior Bowl. He didn't even start for us til his senior year, and then he led us in sacks with a whopping 3! How many is that going to translate to in the NFL?

On the positive side, I hear he was knocking another of our options (Michael Oher) around pretty good during Senior Bowl week...

I'd like to grab him with our 2nd round pick that we traded away to the Dolphins.

Kind of makes me feel the same way about Darius Heyward-Bey (Maryland alum here). Definitely the most dangerous player on the Terps, however, the guy would just disappear in games due to coverage...and had some hands issues. Not exactly sure how well that translates into the NFL.

His speed most certainly does, though.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Mayock just said that 3 years from now, we will look back and say that Robert Ayers was the best defensive player in the entire draft. :shock: he said he thought about it before he said it, because that's the kind of statement that gets remembered, but that he is confident enough to go on record based on all the tape he's seen on the guy.

that's hard to ignore, especially considering he plays a position we could really use. hard enough to ignore that I went and read about Mayock's resume. (yea, I'm a freak, will seek help after draft)

he was a 10th rd pick, played for Belichick at one point, covered NCAA B-ball, Canadian football, did college and pro sideline reporting, and recently some pre-season color commentary. I didn't learn much so I don't know why I'm bothering to report this, other than it is somewhat unimpressive. I did hear the other day that he picked Cutler to be the best QB from his class. (included him, Leinert and Vince Young)
Last edited by funbuncher on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:58 pm

it was mentioned that he had only 5 tackles as a rookie, only started 2 games as a sophomore, and then "exploded" (for 3 sacks) onto the scene last year. Mayock said he dominated Andre Smith, Michael Oher, and then most everyone at the Senior Bowl.

Casserly was less impressed than Mayock, but him and Charles Davis were pretty high on him too. In fact, at the end they all broke out into a lively, harmonizing rendition of Rocky Top, and were joined on set by The Pride of the Southland Marching Band. yes, it rocked.

Return to General Manager's Office