Boring Draft

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
B-rad

Boring Draft

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Anybody else not all that excited about this draft? All the elite talent is mostly at OT, there are no great RB's, the QB talent is questionable, the WR's are all pretty questionable (even Crabtree a little), Most of the good D-linemen are tweener OLB's, which is exciting if youre a pats or steelers fan i guess. There are only two DT's draftable in the first round. The corners are all slow or undersized. There really isn't a lot of elite talent aside from the OT's, Aaron Curry, Brian Orakpo, and maybe Stafford/Sanchez. There is decent depth in this draft, which doesn't help the redskins.

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:07 pm

that's crazy talk man. it would be more fun if we had a 2nd round pick, more picks in general, yes sucks for us.

last year not a single WR went in the 1st, while about 6 are projected this year. Crabtree is being compared to Andre Johnson and Fitzgerald.

at RB, Knowshon and Wells didn't time as fast as last years crop, but they can bring it fo real yo. (plus the combine track was slower) Knowshon is truly an awesome RB to watch run. He's a natural. Smooth and slick like butta. I'm afraid he's going to end up an Eagle though (hopefuuly not).

and there appears to be just enough talent at OT for one to slip to us, which is obviously a GOOD thing!

who knows though, it's hard to tell much about a draft for a few years.

I sure get your point about the 3-4 tweeners everywhere. it seems that way to me every year actually. makes you think it would be advantageous to be a 3-4 team, not only because there are so many of these tweeners, but also because there are fewer teams chasing them. though that # is going up. almost a third of the league seems to be 3-4 these days. it sucks that guys like Maybin aren't a good fit for us, because he looks like he'll be a player.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:33 pm

funbuncher wrote:that's crazy talk man. it would be more fun if we had a 2nd round pick, more picks in general, yes sucks for us.

last year not a single WR went in the 1st, while about 6 are projected this year. Crabtree is being compared to Andre Johnson and Fitzgerald.

at RB, Knowshon and Wells didn't time as fast as last years crop, but they can bring it fo real yo. (plus the combine track was slower) Knowshon is truly an awesome RB to watch run. He's a natural. Smooth and slick like butta. I'm afraid he's going to end up an Eagle though (hopefuuly not).

and there appears to be just enough talent at OT for one to slip to us, which is obviously a GOOD thing!

who knows though, it's hard to tell much about a draft for a few years.

I sure get your point about the 3-4 tweeners everywhere. it seems that way to me every year actually. makes you think it would be advantageous to be a 3-4 team, not only because there are so many of these tweeners, but also because there are fewer teams chasing them. though that # is going up. almost a third of the league seems to be 3-4 these days. it sucks that guys like Maybin aren't a good fit for us, because he looks like he'll be a player.

The WR crop is actually pretty good, there's just no Calvin Johnson's in this draft. I question Crabtree's vertical speed, but everything else is ok. There is good depth there as well. WR could be much worse. Other than that, I stand by what I said. I do think a couple RB's could be ok, but there's not the usual skill position talent in this draft aside from maybe WR.

Hog

draft is never boring

Postby funbuncher » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:49 pm

guys like Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson may be once in a decade, maybe even once per NFL-generation type players.

if AD stays healthy, he could be the best there ever was. I've never seen anybody run like that. only thing like it I've seen is footage of Jim Brown (I was born too late). him and AD are/were like men among boys. they're bigger, they're faster, and they're just better. sorry about the tanget, I have an Adrian Peterson boner.

CJ is a super rare freak too. we got spoiled lately. welcome back to your typical NFL draft. there are no freaks like that in this draft, you're right, but there will be some special players. let's just hope the Skins get one or two of them!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 pm

I think when we look back, guys like Orakpo, Curry, and J. Smith could be freakish. Just nobody at skill positions, except maybe Crabtree or a QB, which is more exciting. There's nothing wrong with this draft, it just doesn't have the pizazz of recent drafts.

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:15 am

Whats the rule with regard to a player not wanting to sign/play for the team that drafts him? No-one in their right mind would wanna end up with the Lions (specially a QB) . If they get drafted does that mean they either have to sign or get the team to trade them .. a-la Manning?

read an article somewhere that suggested as the Lions have several players in mind to pick from they should allow the clock to expire and drop down the board a bit so they dont have to pay '#1 pick' wages ... the way I look at it, the number 1 should get paid a lot to compensate for being picked by a team of no-hopers.

piggie

Postby Cooter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:43 am

Manchester_Redskin wrote:Whats the rule with regard to a player not wanting to sign/play for the team that drafts him?

I could be wrong, but if that happens the player in question would have to sit out that year and they will enter the draft the following year.

Manchester_Redskin wrote:No-one in their right mind would wanna end up with the Lions (specially a QB) .

I wouldn't mind going to the 0-16 Lions, you can only go up from there. One win would be an improvement :lol: . The early years would be tough, but I would love to be apart of a re-building.

Return to General Manager's Office