Kiper Mock Draft: Skins pick Sanchez

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:The only problem with that is unless Bradford tanks this year he is going to go first overall next year. It is going to take a lot of draft picks to move up to number 1 to be in a position to draft Bradford.

Exactly, I agree. But there's already rumors of moving up to #4 to get Sanchez, so if you're going to go that far, take it a few more spots and get the more prepared and better QB. You're going to already give up a lot to get Sanchez, so if you're going to take that route, a few more dollars in a dump truck load isn't going to make that much difference. I'd take Bradford over Sanchez any day of the week. And again, this scenario would also allow them to fill more glaring needs this year, as well as not wasting the efforts and coaching they've already invested in Campbell.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:22 pm

frankcal20 wrote:And just my feeling about which side of the line to draft - if you have to is you must go with the offensive side. The Redskins had issues scoring last year. They also were terrible on 3rd down. The defense, by the end of the game had been on the field too long and the opposing offenses were able to score.

I agree that we need to address the OL, but my fear is if they draft a RT he won't start until Jansen gets hurt. If you draft an OLB or DE he may not start, but he would play a lot.

Now for why the D was on the field so much. They are just as culpable as the O for not getting off the field. How many times did teams put up 10-12 play drives just to be held to a FG. This ws in the first half just as much as the second. There were many times when they appeared tired and they had been on the field less than our O! As a matter of fact the Skins O was on the field for over two minute more a game than the D.

The D couldn't stop people on third down, just as bad as the O couldn't convert third down. The D could have kept themselves fresh by forcing the other team to punt! The D's (.356) third down conversion rate was almost identicle to the O's (.352).

They're biggest problem was not putting pressure on the QB (and dropping INTs when they had their chances). If you get a pass rusher that can force a bad throw and our DBs start wearing those sticky WR gloves maybe the D gets off the field on third down or forces a turn over. Either way the O gets more chances!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 pm

I think that based on the history of the last two seasons, we have had injury issues on the O-line. I'm comfortable with the current guys we have at D-End and wouldn't mind us getting someone late in the draft. There are a ton of D-ends and most of the guys who are early are better suited for the 3-4 instead of the 4-3.

I would love to trade down and pick up Michael Johnson like someone said earlier but I hear that Tampa is really high on him and may be willing to give a lot for him.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:47 pm

Peter King wrote:I spoke to someone close to Snyder over the weekend, and this person said Snyder is not going to allow next year's first-rounder to be put in a trade. Maybe. Maybe not. This person also said he thought it was highly unlikely the Redskins could muster up the ammo to go get Sanchez. If Snyder wants to get up to No. 3 to assure himself the shot at Sanchez, he's going to have to bend and give up the to pick in 2010.

Link

Shockingly, Peter King doesn't believe his own source.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:20 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
Peter King wrote:I spoke to someone close to Snyder over the weekend, and this person said Snyder is not going to allow next year's first-rounder to be put in a trade. Maybe. Maybe not. This person also said he thought it was highly unlikely the Redskins could muster up the ammo to go get Sanchez. If Snyder wants to get up to No. 3 to assure himself the shot at Sanchez, he's going to have to bend and give up the to pick in 2010.

Link

Utterances from the pen of Peter King, on THN... I may have to rip my eyes out. ](*,)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Countertrey wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:

Link

Utterances from the pen of Peter King, on THN... I may have to rip my eyes out. ](*,)

:lol: :lol:

This is also the same guy who raved about Jason Campbell in camp last year...

Okay. Finally: tell us something you saw at camp today that’s not going to make it into your Postcard From Camp, but that Redskins fans would want to know.

I’ll tell you something that IS going to make it into my postcard: I thought Jason Campbell had one of the best camp practices I’ve ever seen a quarterback have.

Really!

I mean, if he had four balls hit the ground in two hours, I’ll be surprised. I mean, the touch on this passes, his accuracy downfield, I was highly, highly impressed.

Now, I’ve seen him a few times over the years, and I’ve thought he’s okay, but I never saw him like I saw him today.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:01 pm

OMG!!! Again??? SF, this is just sadistic. :shock:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:35 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol:

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Countertrey wrote:OMG!!! Again??? SF, this is just sadistic. :shock:

Lol be nice

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:25 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Image

GHEY

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:37 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Image

GHEY

Man crush much, Frank? :P
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:38 pm

...Not me. Thats exactly what I was saying about CLL.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:55 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:

Link

If we do end up with Sanchez and he starts...I just hope people can give him 3 years under the same system without calling for his head or saying he sucks. At some point you have to settle for someone.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 am

It's all over the web this morning that many league insiders now believe the Redskins interest in Sanchez is a smokescreen. Here's what PFT thinks...

‘Skins Bluffing On Sanchez Interest?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2009, 1:02 p.m. EDT

There are mounting rumors and reports that the Washington Redskins are interested in making a move into the upper reaches of the draft for a crack at USC quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Some league insiders, who are assessing the Redskins’ sudden interest in Sanchez in comparison to the team’s past pre-draft antics, believe that it’s very possibly a smokescreen.

Maybe it’s just part of a broader plan to motivate current starter Jason Campbell into becoming a high-end quarterback.

Or maybe the Redskins simply don’t want anyone to know what they actually plan to do with the 13th overall pick in the draft.

Frankly, we think that several of the teams linked to Sanchez might be bluffing. The Seahawks need a successor to Matt Hasselbeck, but they also need the next Walter Jones.

Our current guess is that the Seahawks are hoping to dupe someone into trading with the Chiefs at No. 3 to get Sanchez. If the Lions take quarterback Matthew Stafford, then one of the two premier left tackles — Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe — will still be on the board at No. 4.

We also think the Broncos are bluffing about a move into the top five for Sanchez. Coach Josh McDaniels just traded the face of the franchise, and the Belichick approach is to have no face of the franchise at all. So unless owner Pat Bowlen is pushing for another big-name quarterback (as Arthur Blank was doing a year ago in Atlanta — and they all got lucky when it worked out), there’s no reason for the Broncos to try to replace Cutler with Sanchez.

Peter King (I know Trey) and JLC have recently said the Skins offered two 1st rounders for Cutler and will offer two 1st rounders for Sanchez, even after King's inside source reported that Snyder said he is not prepared to trade next years 1st rounder. So I ask, where is the credible report that confirms the Skins actually offered two 1st rounders for Cutler? I don't believe they did, and it irks me that King spits this out with no credible source and no accountability. Yet the rest of the sports media world and the fans latch onto it as gospel.

The only two sources for all of this comes from JLC and Peter King. Two guys that are noted haters and the two guys who would be the last journalists on the planet that would get the credible inside information from the team itself.

I believe the interest in Sanchez IS a smokescreen. For what exact purpose? Don't know, but I seriously doubt the team would trade away the house to move up to take Sanchez. We'll see.

Return to General Manager's Office