Trade For Boldin

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:35 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Right, we can't afford him BUT if we could, I'd be all over that Anquan bandwagon.. IF we could keep Moss and Cooley. Still of course, we have other needs for the draft that we must consider.

I think you just have to take into consideration why Arizona would give him up.

It's more than the fact that they still have Fitzgerald, why would they want to trade such a great WR?

Simple. They can't afford him either. He wants a new, considerably more expensive contract. He claims they promised it to him.

Now sure, they could mortgage the team to pay him what he's worth (or what he believes he's worth) but then he's making a ton of money, and they can't afford anything above mediocre to surround him with.

I don't think he'll fit here. I don't think he'll go with the FO's creative contract math. He'll want a big fat contract that he won't want to renegotiate because he doesn't trust front offices. (certainly this whole paragraph is speculative)

Were it not for the money angle, I'd say sure, I'd love to have him on the team. The man is one of the best in the league right now.

How often have we seen the "best in the league" not live up to that hype when they get here?
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Bob 0119 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Right, we can't afford him BUT if we could, I'd be all over that Anquan bandwagon.. IF we could keep Moss and Cooley. Still of course, we have other needs for the draft that we must consider.

I think you just have to take into consideration why Arizona would give him up.

It's more than the fact that they still have Fitzgerald, why would they want to trade such a great WR?

Simple. They can't afford him either. He wants a new, considerably more expensive contract. He claims they promised it to him.

Now sure, they could mortgage the team to pay him what he's worth (or what he believes he's worth) but then he's making a ton of money, and they can't afford anything above mediocre to surround him with.

I don't think he'll fit here. I don't think he'll go with the FO's creative contract math. He'll want a big fat contract that he won't want to renegotiate because he doesn't trust front offices. (certainly this whole paragraph is speculative)

Were it not for the money angle, I'd say sure, I'd love to have him on the team. The man is one of the best in the league right now.

How often have we seen the "best in the league" not live up to that hype when they get here?

I agree with everything you said. Except for the best in the league comment. Since when have we had best in the league come here?

Only thing I could come up with is Haynesworth. We still have not seen him play here yet. Oh you must mean Vince Lombardi coming from Green Bay?

All we have ever gotten was old and washed up. Hoping they still had some left in the tank. I do not ever remember picking up a premier player in there prime. Within this decade that is. :lol:

All I ever remember us doing is picking up old and washed up.

Bruce Smith Anyone? at age fifty. Deion Sanders? No not neon deion. The neon bulb already blew out. Jason fancy feet Taylor? The dude came here with two left feet.

Brandon Lloyd? Only one guy who was marginal. Was Archuletta. Even then he was not best in the league. We had Taylor at the time. Ed Reed was around, Dawkins and I think Troy Polamalu was a rookie. Nope still have never gotten best in the league via trade or free agency.

Back to the topic though. A first and third rounder would be a very good deal. That would be a steal in fact.
It would be difficult to make the numbers work. Considering the contract Boldin wants. But, Snyder and his henchmen could crunch the numbers and make it work. It would be difficult. But, still possible. Not likely but possible.

Will it happen? I am 99 percent sure this will not happen.
But, since we are in fantasy land forum. I would give up Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly for Boldin. That is the offer I make. If they decline I throw in Antwan Randle El in the deal. LOL!
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:All we have ever gotten was old and washed up. Hoping they still had some left in the tank. I do not ever remember picking up a premier player in there prime. Within this decade that is.

Premier players in their prime are just not often available in Free Agency. We got one this year (Haynesworth). Who else was out there?

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:53 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:All we have ever gotten was old and washed up. Hoping they still had some left in the tank. I do not ever remember picking up a premier player in there prime. Within this decade that is.

Premier players in their prime are just not often available in Free Agency. We got one this year (Haynesworth). Who else was out there?

No one really. I was simply saying, I do not ever remember picking up a premier player.

Ok, I got it. Portis was aquired via trade. He at the time was top three in stats. Portis still has put up great numbers and is going strong. That is the only one I can remember. So in the Redskins history I believe those are the two biggest free agents or trades. Portis and Haynesworth. If anyone else can remember anyone bigger feel free to chime in.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 pm

Now that I think about this again.

This is a real telling stat if anyone can find it.

How many teams have Won SuperBowls after aquiring a major free agent or player via trade? I am pretty sure this stat is close to zero.

Most SuperBowl teams have done it through the draft. Then developing the players. Yeah, no trade bad idea.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:06 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Now that I think about this again.

This is a real telling stat if anyone can find it.

How many teams have Won SuperBowls after aquiring a major free agent or player via trade? I am pretty sure this stat is close to zero.

Most SuperBowl teams have done it through the draft. Then developing the players. Yeah, no trade bad idea.

Reggie White and Green Bay is one that pops out of my head. Also, the Niners in 1994 and then the Cowboys in 1995, both after getting Deion Sanders.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:11 pm

Yea fellas, that's all true indeed. It really must be money he's searching for because him and Fitzy were a great duo who had potential to be the greatest duo ever.. To me besides Monk/Clark it would be Jerry Rice w/Tim Brown.. I'm just saying, not trying to change the subject
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:25 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Yea fellas, that's all true indeed. It really must be money he's searching for because him and Fitzy were a great duo who had potential to be the greatest duo ever.. To me besides Monk/Clark it would be Jerry Rice w/Tim Brown.. I'm just saying, not trying to change the subject

Not even close... Taylor and Mitchell.

Just say no to Anquan.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Yea fellas, that's all true indeed. It really must be money he's searching for because him and Fitzy were a great duo who had potential to be the greatest duo ever.. To me besides Monk/Clark it would be Jerry Rice w/Tim Brown.. I'm just saying, not trying to change the subject

Just say no to Anquan.

True true, my generation maybe? (born 77) :D I do watch the guys I've missed before my time when I find footage, totally awesome players.. true ballers

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Countertrey wrote:

Great choice. Another duo to consider is Stallworth/Swann.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:49 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Why
They aren`t even in the same neighborhood as the two skins duos or fits and bolden

I`m still hung up on the rice|brown combo!
When was that were either still any good? Or did you mean tayor?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby yupchagee » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
El Mexican wrote:
DEHog wrote:Chad Johnson, Bolden, Parrish etc...Didn't we draft TWO wr's last year :hmm:
We did?

I saw practically nothing of them last year. I know they are rookies, but c´mon...besides that trick play in which one of them scored, they were invisible.

And let's not even get into the TE we drafted last year while having a probowl TE already on the roster.

Right, because injuries aren't worth considering, rookie WR's are ALWAYS successful in their first year and teams only need one TE.

You're right, let's not get into it. ](*,)

By this logic, we should use our early picks to get backups at every position in case someone gets hurt. Many rookies caught more passes for more yards than our 3 2nd round picks COMBINED. Giving up our 1st round pick for a WR would be stupid with our needs at LB, DE & OT.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:41 am

yupchagee wrote:
SkinsFreak wrote:
El Mexican wrote:
DEHog wrote:Chad Johnson, Bolden, Parrish etc...Didn't we draft TWO wr's last year :hmm:
We did?

I saw practically nothing of them last year. I know they are rookies, but c´mon...besides that trick play in which one of them scored, they were invisible.

And let's not even get into the TE we drafted last year while having a probowl TE already on the roster.

Right, because injuries aren't worth considering, rookie WR's are ALWAYS successful in their first year and teams only need one TE.

You're right, let's not get into it. ](*,)

By this logic, we should use our early picks to get backups at every position in case someone gets hurt. Many rookies caught more passes for more yards than our 3 2nd round picks COMBINED. Giving up our 1st round pick for a WR would be stupid with our needs at LB, DE & OT.

:roll: I never said we should give up our 1st round for a WR and you obviously misunderstood my post with regard to the injury comment. First, Thomas and Kelly missed the ENTIRE camp with injuries. The hamstring injuries were unforeseen, but did set them back quite a bit. Just because a few other rookie WR's caught more passes in their rookie year in no way means our 2nd rounders are busts.

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:05 am

Of course, Campbell also was hurt by lackluster performances by the three receivers the Redskins took last year. Giants General Manager Jerry Reese, who is looking at drafting a wide receiver, said that rookies at the position often encounter difficulty.

"It is a tough position to come in and play right away because defenses are so different in the NFL," he said. "And you can't just line up and think you can run your route, because defenses change. As soon as the ball is snapped, the defense changes."

Also, these rookies will face press coverage in the NFL, something they rarely ever saw in college, and other than just running routes, when the defense changes their look or coverage at the snap of the ball, the rookies have to know the hot-reads and check-downs. Reading defenses is a tough animal for rookie WR's. And it isn't difficult to understand why a few rookie WR's got bumped up the depth chart to see action on the field. Injuries, such as Philly suffered to their veteran receivers, put them in a dire situation and they were forced to play the rookie, who did make a lot of mistakes.

But again, in no way does that mean our WR's are busts. Let's see ehat happens this year.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
PulpExposure wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Why
They aren`t even in the same neighborhood as the two skins duos or fits and bolden

I`m still hung up on the rice|brown combo!
When was that were either still any good? Or did you mean tayor?

Well ok, they were great individually but when they played together in that season they went to the super bowl (lost to TB) they were a vicious combo with Rich Gannon's rocket arm.

Return to General Manager's Office