Draft Day Scenario

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
+++++++++

Draft Day Scenario

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:18 am

This seems to be picking up a lot of steam lately and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

The idea is, we trade up for Seattle's #4 pick to make sure we get Sanchez. After the pick we deal Jason Campbell to recover some (all if there's a bidding war) of our lost picks.

Word is the Jets would be in on Campbell if he was available, we could see the Bucs or Vikings maybe the Bills, Panthers, Jags, Dolphins, 49ers, Rams... could be others become interested. I can't say I hate this scenario, the Redskins seem convinced that Mark Sanchez is the man so getting him would be a win.

I know Sanchez might fall to 13 anyway, but I don't think this would make us much worse off and we'd get our guy regardless.

In 2009 it would leave us with Todd Collins as the starter with Brennan backing up. (I don't think we'd start Sanchez from day 1 but who knows.) Does that make us much worse for next season? I don't think so, it might make us better if certain commentary is to be believed.

Anyway, all I know is I am excited for this draft, I haven't been this confused going in for a while.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 am

.....I see a GLARING need at O line. I don't understand what the point is when we invest all this in a QB who will play half the game on his back and/or running for his life like Patrick Ramsey did.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:47 am

The idea is, we trade up for Seattle's #4 pick to make sure we get Sanchez. After the pick we deal Jason Campbell to recover some (all if there's a bidding war) of our lost picks.

Word is the Jets would be in on Campbell if he was available, we could see the Bucs or Vikings maybe the Bills, Panthers, Jags, Dolphins, 49ers, Rams... could be others become interested. I can't say I hate this scenario, the Redskins seem convinced that Mark Sanchez is the man so getting him would be a win.

Have you actually seen this reported somewhere or did you cook this scenario up yourself? Just wondering because I doubt any credible source would speculate on the Dolphins trading for JC. They have Pennington already and apparently have been very impressed with Henne and are trying to figure out the best way to transition from Pennington as the starter to Henne.
Suck and Luck

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 am

ESPN is talking about this and I said maybe the Dolphins... that's one team out of the 9 I mentioned.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:56 am

this draft is so up in the air. especially with our team. we could go so many directions that i have really stopped thinking about it. but if these rumors are true and that does happen, i think the only way it's a good thing for us is if we recieve enough picks for JC to address other pressing needs. OL, DL, LB

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:59 am

I can't form a concrete opinion this year because of all the factors, but I am still thinking about it.

Surely we need to fill holes at LB, O-line, D-line etc. but if Mark Sanchez really is a franchise QB like the team seems to think then all other problems be damned.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 pm

frankcal20 wrote:.....I see a GLARING need at O line. I don't understand what the point is when we invest all this in a QB who will play half the game on his back and/or running for his life like Patrick Ramsey did.

You're seriously going all the way back to Patrick Ramsey in a point about out current team? OK, I hope Sanchez doesn't hold the ball a half hour before throwing it when everyone's covered like....Patrick Ramsey did.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:13 pm

If Sanchez is decisive maybe he won't be on his back... LOL Who knows with this team...lol
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 pm

NFLN was talking about this exact same thing last nite on Path to the Draft. Trading up to get Sanchez and then dealing JC. I recall the Jets were specifically mentioned in the JC talks.

NFLN were a lot higher on JC than a lot of us here are. They believed, as I and other people have stated, that he's going to be a good QB, if he gets in the right system and stays.

I've always believed that JC could be successful, I just don't think he'll be successful here in the WCO.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby Jeremy81 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:I can't form a concrete opinion this year because of all the factors, but I am still thinking about it.

Surely we need to fill holes at LB, O-line, D-line etc. but if Mark Sanchez really is a franchise QB like the team seems to think then all other problems be damned.

i agree. to be honest, i wouldn't be upset in any direction we go. because i really have no idea what would be the best move at this point. If we trade down and get more picks, i'd be fine with that. if we use the picks we have to get a great T, i'm fine with that. if we use it for a DE, im fine with that. Even an OLB would be ok with me. and if we traded up to get this deal done for sanchez and recieved lost picks for JC, then i'm slowly becoming more and more ok with that. jason campbell is a pro's pro. great guy, but he's got less upside, he runs slower and has a slower release than sanchez. the idea's growing on me

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:51 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:NFLN were a lot higher on JC than a lot of us here are. They believed, as I and other people have stated, that he's going to be a good QB, if he gets in the right system and stays.

I heard that as well. Everyone says JC sucks now, but as soon as he's traded, all of a sudden he's a great QB and it's a great trade for the team that got him. He did play in the WCO in college and did play very well in the system. I just think he desperately needs system stability.

I'll just say this... first, I have no idea if a trade for Sanchez will happen. But the experts were breaking down film on him and said a few interesting things. They said he's a perfect fit for the WCO, is a progression QB (meaning he always goes through his progressions, something JC seems to struggle with) and is always throwing on balance, regardless of feet and arm position. The tape they showed clearly proved that.

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:05 pm

Bidding war or Pick(s) for JC ..really....your dreaming of you think we are getting anything for JC. As far as trading up...I don;t like our history with trades we seems to always give up that extra pick.

For once we are in a good spot with a player, why not just let it play it out on the field this season.
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:16 pm

DEHog wrote:Bidding war or Pick(s) for JC ..really....your dreaming of you think we are getting anything for JC. As far as trading up...I don;t like our history with trades we seems to always give up that extra pick.

For once we are in a good spot with a player, why not just let it play it out on the field this season.

=D>

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work... our record will suffer, but there will be a much greater QB talent pool next year... in the mean time, we (hopefully) improve our O-line THIS year... and our QB spends less time running or on his back.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Fire in the Sky

Postby SkinsFreak » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:51 pm

DEHog wrote:Bidding war or Pick(s) for JC ..really....your dreaming of you think we are getting anything for JC. As far as trading up...I don;t like our history with trades we seems to always give up that extra pick.

I know we haven't always been successful with trades, but for the record, they did a very good job trading back last year. But I agree with your overall sediment, I hope they let it just play out this year.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:42 pm

The ownership and management suck. Everyone says that Danny doesn't have a problem spending money but its one thing to spend your money correctly and its another to throw your money out the door and that's what he does. He's an owner that's all about hype. I feel like his philosophy is "I can buy a championship" when history shows you that you can't.

Return to General Manager's Office