Final Draft Thoughts

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
B-rad

Final Draft Thoughts

Postby brad7686 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:30 pm

- A lot has been made about the skins wanting to possibly trade up and acquire Mark Sanchez. Is it smart for a team to burn draft picks and pay a hefty sum for a guy with limited collegiate experience? Probably not. Will the Skins do it? I wouldn’t put it past them.

-The way the draft will shake out, the Skins should be looking at one of four players at pick 13, should they stay there. Penn State DE Aaron Maybin, Ole Miss OT Michael Oher, Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, and USC OLB Brian Cushing should go around that time and address Redskin need areas. Maybin has an explosive first step, but has bad timed speed and may be undersized to play DE in the NFL. Oher is very athletic for an OT, but lacks consistency. Ayers is a versatile defensive-end who lacks elite athleticism. Cushing is an instinctive and powerful OLB, but has questionable straight-line speed.

The rest can be found here http://www.thehogs.net/blogs/category/nfl-draft/

Who do you guys want the skins to draft?

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 pm

Draft an OL this year ... Oher

next year .. go after a QB if JC dosnt cut the mustard. More to choose from and so (presumably) less expensive in trade ups .

We need a Franchise QB :(

Re: Final Draft Thoughts

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:15 am

brad7686 wrote:- A lot has been made about the skins wanting to possibly trade up and acquire Mark Sanchez. Is it smart for a team to burn draft picks and pay a hefty sum for a guy with limited collegiate experience? Probably not. Will the Skins do it? I wouldn’t put it past them.

-The way the draft will shake out, the Skins should be looking at one of four players at pick 13, should they stay there. Penn State DE Aaron Maybin, Ole Miss OT Michael Oher, Tennessee DE Robert Ayers, and USC OLB Brian Cushing should go around that time and address Redskin need areas. Maybin has an explosive first step, but has bad timed speed and may be undersized to play DE in the NFL. Oher is very athletic for an OT, but lacks consistency. Ayers is a versatile defensive-end who lacks elite athleticism. Cushing is an instinctive and powerful OLB, but has questionable straight-line speed.

The rest can be found here http://www.thehogs.net/blogs/category/nfl-draft/

Who do you guys want the skins to draft?

He ran a 4.79 at the combine & as I remember, faster at his pro day. He's my preference.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:44 am

I think that speed is over rated at the LB'r postion. If you are running in the wrong direction of the play, it doesn't matter how slow or fast you are. Your done. If you find a way to to be in the right place at the right time, due to studying game tape, etc, then you could run a 5.5 and still make a play. The 40 time is over rated.

Here is the problem with Cushing. He's had some injury problems. I think he's had a shoulder and knee. Don't have the spacifics but he is really good. I'm more of a Matthews guy myself. Good pedigree but thats just me.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:29 pm

If we cant get an OL I wouldn't mind getting REY MAUALUGA if he drops to 13. They say he can play strong side until Fletcher retires.

Hog

Postby vwoodzpusha » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm

13. Redskins — If they haven't traded for Sanchez ... Maryland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey. This one is a wild card. They can go TE Brandon Pettigrew, a speedy wideout or a pass rusher like Brian Orakpo or Everette Brown.

Who I'd take — Pettigrew. The Oklahoma State TE has legitimate Pro Bowl potential and could team with Chris Cooley to bring Jason Campbell's game up a notch. I'd go wideout later if I was Washington.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9494 ... th-a-twist

I think Jay Glazer forgot we drafted Fred Davis last year....

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:19 pm

He also had the Eagles taking the same dude.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Manchester_Redskin wrote:Draft an OL this year ... Oher

next year .. go after a QB if JC dosnt cut the mustard. More to choose from and so (presumably) less expensive in trade ups .

We need a Franchise QB :(

i agree with that. We NEED an OT now. We don't know if we NEED a QB yet. Hopefully JC proves us wrong and he is our franchise QB, but if not we can draft a QB next year.

Right now my final thought is if Oher, A. Smith, or Monroe don't fall to us, which at least 2 of them won't, select Jackson from LSU. I would like to have a good DE if we can't get a great OT.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:53 pm

vwoodzpusha wrote:13. Redskins — If they haven't traded for Sanchez ... Maryland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey. This one is a wild card. They can go TE Brandon Pettigrew, a speedy wideout or a pass rusher like Brian Orakpo or Everette Brown.

Who I'd take — Pettigrew. The Oklahoma State TE has legitimate Pro Bowl potential and could team with Chris Cooley to bring Jason Campbell's game up a notch. I'd go wideout later if I was Washington.

Thats the dumbest thing ever. I think he made a mistake there. Skins are going to go O line or defense. No other position makes sense. I'm hoping there are a few guys there and we can trade back.

Postby yupchagee » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:28 pm

vwoodzpusha wrote:13. Redskins — If they haven't traded for Sanchez ... Maryland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey. This one is a wild card. They can go TE Brandon Pettigrew, a speedy wideout or a pass rusher like Brian Orakpo or Everette Brown.

We already have a Pro Bowl TE & last year's 2nd round TE on the bench. Drafting a TE early would be stupid. I thought (& still thing) drafting Thomas last year was stupid & drafting Pettigrew now would be worse.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby vwoodzpusha » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:49 am

It looks like Jay Glazer really mailed it in with this mock after the top ten....

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 am

He would have us taking Bey? Yeah that's stupid... and Sanchez isn't anyone's pick. Yeah looks like he wrote that on a cocktail napkin and mailed it in.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Return to General Manager's Office