Who do we go after on day 2?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Who do we go after on day 2?

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 am

We're just a few hours away from starting day 2, and I wonder where we'll go.

I think it's obvious that LB is our biggest position of need but in the later rounds I think it makes more sense to go after the best players available.

ESPN's mock has us taking this guy in the third:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/dra ... &year=2009

Ideally today I'd like the Redskins to get a linebacker, a homerun hitting tailback and to take a flyer on a a QB such as Graham Harrell. You can never have too many young QB's around a superstar could come from anywhere.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:54 am

Another thing, what about signing Bobby Reid as a free agent after the draft. Remember him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Reid
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

kazoo
Posts: 10191
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Who do we go after on day 2?

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:06 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Ideally today I'd like the Redskins to get a linebacker, a homerun hitting tailback and to take a flyer on a a QB such as Graham Harrell. You can never have too many young QB's around a superstar could come from anywhere.

Agreed on linebacker and that's a good position generally to add day 2 depth. On tailback, a homerun hitter seems to be a stretch to find on day 2 and it seems to me we have bigger needs. If we can find a good OL prospect that would seem to be our biggest need to me right now.

Curious on the QB. Are you giving up on Colt? Are you looking to dump TC? Just curious what you're thinking there. I think we need TC to be our backup. I have no idea on Colt if we're ready to find an alternate #3 or not, just asking your view on that since you bring up QB.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

B-rad
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:46 am
Location: De La War

Postby brad7686 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:13 am

OT, LB, WR, K. A lot of good rb's left, could take one.

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Re: Who do we go after on day 2?

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:28 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:Ideally today I'd like the Redskins to get a linebacker, a homerun hitting tailback and to take a flyer on a a QB such as Graham Harrell. You can never have too many young QB's around a superstar could come from anywhere.

Agreed on linebacker and that's a good position generally to add day 2 depth. On tailback, a homerun hitter seems to be a stretch to find on day 2 and it seems to me we have bigger needs. If we can find a good OL prospect that would seem to be our biggest need to me right now.

Curious on the QB. Are you giving up on Colt? Are you looking to dump TC? Just curious what you're thinking there. I think we need TC to be our backup. I have no idea on Colt if we're ready to find an alternate #3 or not, just asking your view on that since you bring up QB.


I just want a fast tailback who might have the potential to make the roster. Someone as a change of pace for Portis. As for QB I just think it makes sense to at least bring someone in from the late rounds for a tryout during camp. Collins doesn't really fit the offense so if a rookie could beat him in camp that would be great, unlikely but great.

People always use Tom Brady as the obvious example but there's more starting QB's from the later rounds too.

Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Jeff Garcia, Matt Cassel, Derek Anderson, Jake Delhomme, Trent Green, Gus Frerrotte, Brad Johnson, Marc Bulger, Mark Brunell, Jon Kitna, Matt Hasselbeck, Rich Gannon... That's a lot of decent to superstar QB's taken after round 4 (and I think Gannon was the only one who even went that high.) A lot of those guys were undrafted.

If we spend a pick on a QB or if we bring a guy like Bobby Reid in as a free agent I'd like to just have a new QB in camp for a look. You never know where you're going to find someone with the vision and intangibles to secede as a QB
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Fire in the Sky
Posts: 4729
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Surfside

Re: Who do we go after on day 2?

Postby SkinsFreak » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:39 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:Ideally today I'd like the Redskins to get a linebacker, a homerun hitting tailback and to take a flyer on a a QB such as Graham Harrell. You can never have too many young QB's around a superstar could come from anywhere.

Agreed on linebacker and that's a good position generally to add day 2 depth. On tailback, a homerun hitter seems to be a stretch to find on day 2 and it seems to me we have bigger needs. If we can find a good OL prospect that would seem to be our biggest need to me right now.

Curious on the QB. Are you giving up on Colt? Are you looking to dump TC? Just curious what you're thinking there. I think we need TC to be our backup. I have no idea on Colt if we're ready to find an alternate #3 or not, just asking your view on that since you bring up QB.


I just want a fast tailback who might have the potential to make the roster. Someone as a change of pace for Portis. As for QB I just think it makes sense to at least bring someone in from the late rounds for a tryout during camp. Collins doesn't really fit the offense so if a rookie could beat him in camp that would be great, unlikely but great.


Dude, do you follow the Redskins? Ever heard of Anthony Alridge or Dominique Dorsey? Alridge recorded the 3rd fastest time at the combine last year.

As far as QB goes, certainly the Skins will bring in another QB. They ALWAYS have 4 QB's in camp and Zorn has said as much. But with only 5 picks in this draft, 4 on day two, and having just used a draft pick on Colt last year, drafting another day 2 QB makes little sense.

Junior Hog
User avatar
Posts: 11246
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:18 am
Location: Mayo, Maryland

Postby Jake » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:41 am

Duke Robinson, an OL from Oklahoma comes to mind.

And possibly DE Laurence Sidbury from Richmond, CB Greg Toler from St. Paul's College, and Victor "Macho" Harris from VT.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Re: Who do we go after on day 2?

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:01 am

SkinsFreak wrote:As far as QB goes, certainly the Skins will bring in another QB. They ALWAYS have 4 QB's in camp and Zorn has said as much. But with only 5 picks in this draft, 4 on day two, and having just used a draft pick on Colt last year, drafting another day 2 QB makes little sense.


The Redskins have either drafted a QB or signed a major free agent every year for the past 10 years. In a sport dominated by QB's it makes TONS of sense to grab one with potential whenever you have a chance. I'd like to see them use a 5th, 6th or 7th (they will certainly pick up more selections) on a quarterback.

Why are people so concerned with "wasting" picks?

2008
6. Durrant Brooks, P, GA Tech - 168th overall
6. Kareem Moore, S, Nicholls St - 180th overall
6. Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii - 186 overall
7. Rob Jackson, DE, Kansas St - 242 overall
7. Chris Horton, S, UCLA - 249 overall

2007
5. Dallas Sartz, LB USC - 143 overall
6. H.B. Blades, LB Pitt
6. Jordan Palmer, QB, UTEP
7. Tyler Ecker, TE, Michigan

2006
5. Anthony Montgomery, DT, Minnesota - 153rd overall
6. Reed Doughty, S, North Colorado - 173rd overall
6. Kedric Golston, DT, Georgia - 196th overall
7. Kili Lefotu, OG, Arizona - 230th overall
7. Kevin Simon, ILB, Tennessee - 250th overall


2005
4. Manuel White, FB, UCLA (120th overall)
5. Robert McCune, ILB, Louisville (154th overall)
6. Jared Newberry, OLB, Stanford (183rd overall)
7. Nehemiah Broughton, FB, The Citadel (222nd overall)

2004
5. Mark Wilson, OT, California - 151st overall
6. Jim Molinaro, OT, Notre Dame - 180th overall

2003
7. Gibran Hamdan, QB, Indiana - 232nd overall

2002
5. Andre Lott, S, Tennessee
5. Robert Royal, TE, LSU
6. Reggie Coleman, T, Tennessee
7. Jeff Grau, LS, UCLA
7. Greg Scott, DE, Hampton
7. Rock Cartwright, FB, Kansas St.

2001
5. Darnerien McCants, WR, Delaware St.
6. Mario Monds, DT, Cincinnati

2000
5. Quincy Sanders, S, UNLV
6. Todd Husak, QB, Stanford
7. Del Cowsette, DT, Maryland
7. Ethan Howell, WR, Oklahoma St.

1999
5. Derek Smith, OL, Virginia Tech
6. Jeff Hall, K, Tennessee
7. Tim Alexander, WR, Oregon St.

There's maybe a handful of passable players in ten years. Taking a QB makes sense because of the possible reward. We could either get a halfway decent player someplace else or a potential star at QB. SO what if we draft a guy for camp fodder?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

kazoo
Posts: 10191
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Who do we go after on day 2?

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:13 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Why are people so concerned with "wasting" picks?

There's a difference between wasting it in the sense of it not working out and throwing it away. I'm not saying you're advocating throwing it away, just answering your question.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to General Manager's Office